Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cary Grant's Jacket - What Kind is it?

cgab1

One of the Regulars
Hello to all,

Can anyone tell me what kind of jacket Cary Grant is wearing in this photo and also where I could purchase one like it?

Thanks,

Cgab
carygrant.jpg

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It looks like it may simply a sportcoat with a working throat latch. In other words, there's actually a corresponding button under the right lapel to the lapel hole that is usually vestigial on the left lapel.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
AlanC said:
It looks like it may simply a sportcoat with a working throat latch. In other words, there's actually a corresponding button under the right lapel to the lapel hole that is usually vestigial on the left lapel.

It might be patterned on a Norfolk shooting jacket. The Norfolk in its true shooting jacket style often has a throat latch. You see them on the Bookster site at times.

cgab1

One of the Regulars
Yes, but how do you get the collar to lay down properly once you've buttoned the jacket? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Chuck

Matt Deckard said:
You can also just ad a button to the underside of your right lapel. In the movie he is wearing a regular jacket that just has a functional top button. Meaning the button hole on his left lapel isn't just for holding flowers.

IMG_1786-vi.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
You can lay the collar flat when it is buttoned. I have a modern jacket with this feature and it works well enough.
cgab1 said:
Yes, but how do you get the collar to lay down properly once you've buttoned the jacket? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Chuck

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Off topic, but I recently picked up a sports coat made for Cary Grant in the 1950's. It came from the Paramount costume department.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
resortes805 said:
Off topic, but I recently picked up a sports coat made for Cary Grant in the 1950's. It came from the Paramount costume department.
Please post some pix. :)

manton

A-List Customer
Grant is wearing a Ghillie collar coat, which both James Laver and Hardy Amies claim is the direct ancestor of the modern SB notch lapel jacket.

Kevin Popejoy

One of the Regulars
Looking at the screen grab it looks to me like it's a 3 button single breasted. If you check the Hardy Amies site you'll see the button configuration on the Ghillie SB is different.

Kevin

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Kevin Popejoy said:
Looking at the screen grab it looks to me like it's a 3 button single breasted.
Yes, it appears to be a regular sportjacket closed the the throat and buttoned.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
cookie said:
Does that label say 1954 Resortes?

Yes, April 1954.

Honestly, I think this jacket is on it's way to that big auction site in the sky. . .It's an beautifully constructed coat and most 50's patch pockets that I see are two button and not three. However, it's too big for me and I would be a fool to try and alter something that has historical significance.

Feraud

Bartender
resortes805 said:
Yes, April 1954.

Honestly, I think this jacket is on it's way to that big auction site in the sky. . .It's an beautifully constructed coat and most 50's patch pockets that I see are two button and not three. However, it's too big for me and I would be a fool to try and alter something that has historical significance.
It is a beautiful jacket. Any idea what film it was used in?

Rick S.

New in Town
Hi

I was the purchaser of this coat- Thanks.;)

It, is from 'TO CATCH A THIEF' (although the buttons have been changed) and one from the location shooting, in my opinion, which accounts for it's early date. The later Hollywood shoot, where they did the rear projection screen work for the ride on the Corniche, in the Sunbeam, seems to have slightly different stitching and other distinctive flaws.

Actually, the coat is rather poorly cut, in that it 'grabs' when buttoned and is not stitched to high quality standards, yet it is those flaws that make it noticeable on screen.

rick

For a look see: (sorry, not for sale)

http://www.stairstars.com/dyn/detail.php?listingid=195

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy