Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Catalena Hatters Rebuild Service

Bob Smalser

One of the Regulars
http://www.catalenahats.com/restoration.html

For 80 bucks that includes shipping and a heavy-duty, fitted hatbox, you get a brand spanking new hat in 6-8 weeks. Save the tags if you want it to retain its original identity, because they strip and remanufacture on an assembly line. They will save original liners and leather on request, however.

361575296.jpg

This was a crispy, 30-dollar Borsalino Allessandria in Size 7 1/8 where only the felt was salvageable. Now it's a Size 7 3/8 LO with all new trimmings.

361575384.jpg

361575331.jpg

361575357.jpg

361575416.jpg

Alucard73

One of the Regulars
That is my hometown and I went to school with some Catalena's. I also bring my Fedoras to them when I want a perfect bash. They are nice people and do a great job.

I sent off a great Resistol 100 to be rebuilt by Catalena Hatters. The cost was only $120 but they had the hat for eight months. I received it a couple of days ago and let myself have some time before writing a review.

The shipping and payment was easy and the email communication was acceptable.

The blocking is fine as is the fit (7 ¾ long oval$. The sweatband installation seems well-done and it’s seated at the depth I prefer; however, I do wish it was wider and didn’t have the gold stripe. The leather is reasonably supple and is neither thin nor thick. The liner is glued in, but the fit and quality is acceptable. The felt has some staining just above the ribbon that I don’t recall…odd, but it may be my memory. My only real issue with the hat is the brim break. There are several significant toliker marks on the brim. Additionally, the brim break is very rounded and sloppy looking. It has a very amateur look to it and the hat deserves better. I’m going to send it to another hatter for a new wider ribbon that will cover the light staining currently visible just above the two cord ribbon. I’ll also see if the brim break can’t be cleaned up.

Overall, I’m giving Catalena Hatters a C- for the work. I will not be sending them work in the future.

IMG_2730.jpeg
IMG_2729.jpeg
IMG_2731.jpeg
IMG_2732.jpeg
IMG_2734.jpeg
IMG_2727.jpeg
IMG_2735.jpeg
IMG_2736.jpeg
IMG_2726.jpeg

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Hmmm, that's pretty shabby work for a refurb. Almost like there wasn't a second set of eyes for a QC check before it went out.

I sent off a great Resistol 100 to be rebuilt by Catalena Hatters. The cost was only $120 but they had the hat for eight months. I received it a couple of days ago and let myself have some time before writing a review.

The shipping and payment was easy and the email communication was acceptable.

The blocking is fine as is the fit (7 ¾ long oval$. The sweatband installation seems well-done and it’s seated at the depth I prefer; however, I do wish it was wider and didn’t have the gold stripe. The leather is reasonably supple and is neither thin nor thick. The liner is glued in, but the fit and quality is acceptable. The felt has some staining just above the ribbon that I don’t recall…odd, but it may be my memory. My only real issue with the hat is the brim break. There are several significant toliker marks on the brim. Additionally, the brim break is very rounded and sloppy looking. It has a very amateur look to it and the hat deserves better. I’m going to send it to another hatter for a new wider ribbon that will cover the light staining currently visible just above the two cord ribbon. I’ll also see if the brim break can’t be cleaned up.

Overall, I’m giving Catalena Hatters a C- for the work. I will not be sending them work in the future.

View attachment 599400 View attachment 599401 View attachment 599402 View attachment 599403 View attachment 599404 View attachment 599405 View attachment 599406 View attachment 599407 View attachment 599408

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy