Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Caxton 5th Ave Selco Beaver Hat (Question)

hippiexrosex

New in Town
Hello. I'm new to the group. I wanted to post a question about Caxton hats.

I just bought a Caxton Fifth Avenue New York, Selco, beaver fur hat. I am unfamiliar with the brand. Make that, I'm unfamiliar with any hat brand. I went online to try to research the brand, but have yet to be successful with finding any information.

I suppose my question would be, how much does this hat really cost? The owner of the hat store I went to said it retails for $550, but I am skeptical. We settled on a price of $100 instead. It looks like quality workmanship and materials.

If you guys have anymore information on Caxton hats, I would love to hear it.

Thanks

427684_126612157466435_100003529543448_101495_1883354023_n.jpg

424521_125996780861306_100003529543448_99053_1891389528_n.jpg

Last edited:

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Since no one else has made any comments about the hat in question, I will step up and first off state, hello and welcome to the lounge! I am not familiar at all with the brand name of your hat. I can tell you however, you should be very careful about prices when it comes to any hats. I would not think the hat was in the price range the shop owner quoted you. You can get a lot of hat for $400.00+ dollars, and in such, not only very highly sought after vintage hats but also custom made hats for that price range.

The price you paid for the hat is a bit high. I can only state that from looking around not only on the classified hats for sale here on the Lounge, but also other sources, eBay, Etsy, and hat shops around the USA.

As far as what you do buy, if you are happy with how you look in any hat you purchase, and can afford what you paid, then in the end, that is all that really matters.

Pricing (normally) for a hat with what is normally referred to as a "stingy brim", (brim size 2 inches or less) will sell for a lower price. The current trend seems to be for hats that have a wider brim will bring a higher value in pricing, however, in recent hat making markets, there has been a flooding of stingy brim hats that are marketed at young people to purchase for a relatively cheaper price.

My best advice is for you to take a peek on eBay and also the classifieds here on the Lounge, and you will get a "feel" for what pricing is on any hats you may find of interest and appealing to you. That way, you will be more informed and information is your best key to not getting taken advantage of when you buy hats. I hoped I have helped you some.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner