Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chania Boots

The Mad Hatter

A-List Customer
Some of the toughest resistance fighting took place on Crete after its fall to the Nazis in May, 1941.

Dominated by rugged mountains, Crete had been part of the Ottoman empire until 1911, only 30 years before the German invasion. During the 19th century, Cretans had resisted Ottoman rule. Many participants in that earlier resistance remained alive in 1941. This tradition of resistance combined with a hardy mountain sense of individualism. Prone to blood feuds, Cretans resilsted any sort of authority.

As a result, some of the most determined resistance activity took place on Crete, beginning wilth armed resistance by the Cretan peoples when the Germans first invaded, continuing with their assisting stranded British, Australian, and New Zealander soldiers escape, intelligence about German supply efforts for Rommel, and culminating in the kidnapping of the German general in command of Crete.

Today, the heritage of the resistance remains part of the background ambience of Crete.

Crete has a traditional costume, an important part of which is made-to-measure boots, which still can be obtained in the off-season in Chania, the largest town in western Crete.

Obtaining such a pair not only recaptures part of the resistance movement, but allows one to get in touch with his inner Zorba.:)

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Hi- Crete is my fave holiday destination-
I love the place.
When I was there last year I bought and read the book "Ill met by moonlight" which is the true story of allied spies capturing a German General from the occupied island and moving him through the mountains to the coast to a boat and back to Egypt- pretty good read.
I bought a pair of Hannia boots about 5 years ago, in Hannia - although they weren't custom made. They were however very inexpensive and resembled WW2 GI roughout boots. Funny you should have brought up the subject. Why did you by the way?
BTank.

The Mad Hatter

A-List Customer
I'm currently reading The Cretan Runner by George Psychoundakis, the autobiography of a Resistance fighter.

I have been to Crete twice, and love it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou