Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheap suit!

matei

One Too Many
I don't like wearing wool/polyester blends. All but one of my suits are wool, the odd one out being the aforementioned blend. I purchased it years ago for a song and before I knew better.

I To my horror today I noticed that my two holes had worn in my trousers in the inner-thigh area! I only noticed this after I arrived at work, when I felt a wee draft. :eek:

My other suits, which I wear much more often, all look great and are holding up well. They are not even close to showing this kind of wear.

Moral of this story - spend that extra money to get a good suit! It will last longer and look better, and is worth the extra outlay in the long run.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
cheapsuitsketch.gif

matei

One Too Many
Yep - that'd be me in the middle, sitting with my legs crossed so you can't see the holes! ;)

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Cheap Suits: How to I.D.?

matei said:
I don't like wearing wool/polyester blends. All but one of my suits are wool, the odd one out being the aforementioned blend. I purchased it years ago for a song and before I knew better.

Funny story, Matei! Hats off to you for having the nerve to tell it. :eusa_clap

Question for Loungers:

For "suit newbies" like myself, there are plenty of great threads on F.L. about what to look for.

What are the subtleties of what to avoid in a vintage or reproduction 1930s-40s suit?

This isn't a request for posting outrageous pics of 1970s Napolean Dynamite's pumpkin-colored tuxedo or John Travolta's disco suits... This is just for 1930s-40s original and reproduction suits: What are slight things a newbie might not know but would instantly give it away as very cheaply or poorly made? (or has this already been covered somewhere at length?)

Thanks
- Cousin Hepcat

Teflon Don

Although a solution is a blend of wool with teflon for its self lubrication and friction reducing qualities.

I used to hole the inner thigh regularly to jeans and cords.
Walking sounded like this: Vit, vit. Vit, Vit!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic