Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Check out the Life insert from today

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Life went from a magazine to just a color newspaper insert but this week they have a bunch of older photos due to it being their 70th birthday.

On one page- Lindy Hoppers!

Willa Mae Ricker and Leon James. Nice photo of the clothes in motion from 1943

Kim Novak in a diner in 1956 (somebody tell dinerman) with every man's eye upon her (I think the camera might have something to do with it).

Check it out y'all.

carebear

scotrace said:
Where d'ya get it now?

It is an insert in the Friday paper up here.

What I would do is go to, say, Barnes and Nobles' newspaper rack and just start pulling papers apart until you find it. Then read it in the attached Starbucks and leave it on the table when you're done.

Oh, wait, that's what I've seen done. I'd just find a paper with it and buy it. :D

carebear

wiki said:
2004 and the return in Sunday newspapers

Life was absent from the U.S. market for less than five years. Beginning in October 2004, the magazine was revived for a third time. Life resumed weekly publication, in an incarnation as a free supplement to U.S. newspapers. Life went into competition for the first time with the two industry heavyweights, Parade and USA Weekend. At its launch, it was distributed with more than 60 newspapers with a combined circulation of approximately 12 million. Among the newspapers to carry Life: New York Daily News, Los Angeles Times, Chicago Tribune, The Denver Post, and the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Time Inc. made deals with several major newspaper publishers to carry the Life supplement, including Knight Ridder and the McClatchy Company.

This current version of Life retains its trademark logo, but sports a new cover motto, “America’s Weekend Magazine.” It measures 9 ½ x 11 ½ inches and is printed on glossy paper in full-color. On September 15, 2006, Life was just 20 pages. The editorial content contained one full-page photo, of actress Julia Louis-Dreyfus, and one three-page, seven-photo essay, of Kaiju Big Battel.

There's a good entry there on what happened. For all it's weaknesses, I really like wiki for quick info.

carebear

Lena,

You can go to http://www.life.com/Life and do a Cover Photo search by key word. I just tried "lindy" and got one hit.

They have all the covers back to 1936. It's probably worth poking around, there might be more photos available. I believe the 25th anniversary insert I mentioned has an actual book associated with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace