Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Childhood Fears

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm sure I had many, but one that springs to mind is the old wine cellar my grandfather had built in our yard. By the time I was in my pre-teens, it was no longer maintained, and was just a terrifying unlit hole in the ground with a heavy wood trap door over it. Unfortunately, my mother decided it was a good idea to store our toy overflow down there. Every so often, I would venture down there to find something. And every so often, my older cousin would slam the door shut above me and stand on top of it, leaving me in an ink black dungeon with who-knows-what crawling around me. I would scream till I was hyperventilating and then maybe, he would let me out. I've never forgotten those experiences.
Funny thing is, if this were to happen today, I think I would be just as scared. Actually, that cellar is someplace I wouldn't even venture into now.
What were YOUR child fears?
scary%201.jpg

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
I was always deathly afraid a robber would break into our house and kill my family in our sleep...and I'd be awake when they did, Trying to pretend to sleep and avoid it. [huh] I can remember laying awake towards my wall trying to keep my breathing steady so they'd think I was asleep and not kill me. I'd watch the shadows on my wall so I could tell if they were in my room.

Ironically, now when I get paranoid I lay towards my door, so If a zombie comes in I have a chance to get a head shot in before it eats me :rolleyes: (yes, I'm afraid of zombies, even though I know they don't exist.)

Miss Caity, you sound like a candidate to join the gunboard community--zombies are a recurring theme of discussion, with some of us even having purpose-built "Zombie Guns" (mine being a double-barrel pump-shotgun I'm building, I should be able to take a shambler down with just two simultaneous slugs!lol)

As for me, it counts due to starting in extreme early childhood, but to this day show me a crustacean--live or dead doesn't matter--and you'll see me immediately go into full "fight-or-flight"; a successful attempt to suppress my instinctive drawstroke response to this was one of the last tests before I applied for my carry permit. (Wouldn't do to have me lock 'n' load every time I have to pass the seafood counter, now would it?lol)

----------------
Now playing: John Williams - Desert Chase
via FoxyTunes

Foofoogal

Banned
I was scared of open closets as a child ( I know why though, I opened one playing hide and seek when I was about 6 and a full mannequin lady fell on me. Now I sell vintage clothing with them, go figure) but heights as an adult. I used to climb all over rooftops. Strange how they change.

This year overall has been the scariest year ever. I think it is because there is not any clear single enemy. Not sure if it is events out of the ordinary, age I am or what. I cannot bear for one person to tell me anything else bad. (lalalalaalallalal)

Along these lines if I may. When I am alone I like it pitch black as to if someone comes in they cannot find me. Others I know turn on every light they can like a landing strip. My next door neighbor had tons and tons of light shining at night. I didn't even want anyone to see our home as it was set back in woods. I wonder which is better. May be the Indian in me.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
DiamondBack

Zombie apocalypses were a common theme at my lunch table. Down to what kind of Zombies they were, which of our friends we'd stick with, escape plans, policies on infected friends, and theme music.

I don't think about Zombies very frequently, but every so often, The show up in my dreams. ( In my dreams I can kill one with a fork. yupp)

Oh another childhood fear. Earwigs. or Pincher bugs as we called them. I was deathly afraid they'd crawl in my ear and eat my brain.:rolleyes:

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My biggest fear was "boom-boom" and lightning. As a little boy it used to really terrify me. It was probably about 1958 or 59, because I have a very vivid recollection of it at about age 4, that my Father took me out on the front porch of our house on Leroy Street in Binghamton, NY and explained thunder and lightning to me. He turned a wretched fear into a thing of wonder for me.

To this day if we get storm activity, I love to watch the lightning and hear the sound of thunder. I'm fascinated by lightning photos - especially those great Arizona thunderstorms that brew up around the Tucson area.

Isn't amazing how one fatherly lesson like that can stay with you you're whole life and a fear becomes a thing of joy?!

Thanks Dad,
Dixon Cannon

Inky

One Too Many
Okay, so I have this teddy bear that my grandfather bought for me in communist cuba in 1960 right when I was born.

I took him everywhere with me, and when I was little (about age 5 to 9 or so), my Dad would get my bear from me when I slept and put him all over the house doing stuff so I'd find him when I woke up. He'd be at the table with a snack, in the bathroom brushing his teeth, sitting somewhere reading, and once when I was naughty, Pancho the bear was at the front door with a little napsack as though he was leaving because I was bad.

I really thought that bear came to life and thus, I am afraid of stuffed animals coming to life, or worse yet, crazy dolls (think Barbarella). I still have him to this day and he sits on my dresser and sometimes I just wonder what he does when I'm asleep!

Also, clowns and nuns. Don't ask.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
^ My Mama always read Raggedy Ann and Andy to me, I positively believed they all were alive, but never feared them.

Never had an issue with clowns, still don't.Now however show me a Mime and I FREAK.

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
My sister used to be absolutely terrified of Santa. Every year we would get dressed up & go to Grace Brothers (big department store in Sydney) for the annual Christmas photo & every year she would cry & refuse to sit on Santas lap. Looking at the old Christmas photos it seemed like I was an only child.

Caity Lynn said:
DiamondBack

Zombie apocalypses were a common theme at my lunch table. Down to what kind of Zombies they were, which of our friends we'd stick with, escape plans, policies on infected friends, and theme music.

Oh another childhood fear. Earwigs. or Pincher bugs as we called them. I was deathly afraid they'd crawl in my ear and eat my brain.:rolleyes:

Never had an issue with clowns, still don't.Now however show me a Mime and I FREAK.
Umm... sounds about like "grown men" around the gunboards!lol (Although "Zombie Gun" is what we call any "In Case of Total Calamity" tool...)

Creepy-crawlies are a rather common phobia for all ages, just that mine is more the really big ones you don't usually have to deal with in "live" condition unless you're a "beach" person.

No love for the late Marcel Marceau, then?lol Can't say as I blame you, I'm not very at ease with 'em myself. I seem to recall a scene in a cheesy Hulk Hogan sci-fi movie a relative dragged me to where the mime's act was mistaken for "trapped in a force-field"... LOL

Dixon Cannon said:
My biggest fear was "boom-boom" and lightning. As a little boy it used to really terrify me. It was probably about 1958 or 59, because I have a very vivid recollection of it at about age 4, that my Father took me out on the front porch of our house on Leroy Street in Binghamton, NY and explained thunder and lightning to me. He turned a wretched fear into a thing of wonder for me.

Isn't amazing how one fatherly lesson like that can stay with you you're whole life and a fear becomes a thing of joy?!
Bingo, Dix--as I've said before, it is our nature to fear that which we do not understand; acquiring information on the subject builds understanding, which thus (usually) helps reduce or break that fear.

Inky said:
Also, clowns and nuns. Don't ask.
I wasn't so educated, but I think anyone who ever went to a Catholic school understands the latter entirely.

----------------
Now playing: John Williams - Belly Of The Steel Beast
via FoxyTunes

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
As a child, I always had a mild fear of the dark. Until the age of about ten, I used to keep the corridor light on at night, so that I'd have a bit of light shining under my bedroom door when I went to sleep. I also had those glow-in-the-dark starry-stickers which I stuck all over my wall and ceiling...

I admit to still being a teensy bit scared still, but at least I don't sleep with a nightlight anymore. I'm fine walking around the house, even in pitch-blackness in the middle of the night.

Caity Lynn said:
Gunboards?
Internet forums and bulletin-boards for "trigger-happy maniac gun-nuts" like myself.lol

Aversion to darkness seems to be a common theme, too--it's not a phobia in my case, but I do need to have a minimal amount of light at all times. (My eyes seem to work like natural "Starlight Scopes", blinded by day or bright lights but can function very well under very poorly illuminated conditions. Catch is, I still need that trace amount of light to work with... usually my laptop screen's good enough for a couple rooms and a stretch of hallway.)

----------------
Now playing: John Barry - Gunbarrel/Exercise At Gibraltar
via FoxyTunes

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
lolly_loisides said:
Yep, Grace Bros. Although I'd have a complex if I had to sit on any of these laps!
areyoubeingserved.jpg

I have to say I wouldn't mind sitting on any of those laps! Although I'd rather it not be Mr. Graingers. :rolleyes: They're all fantabulosue!! I <3 that show so much!

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
My Grandparents house at night - I used to live with my grandparents in my younger days and we had a fridge in the kitchen and the garage which are at opposite ends of the house. At night the downstairs would be incredibly dark, I would go down to get something and I could feel the darkness like surrounding me. The house is haunted that's a fact, and knowing that didn't help matters. At night I could hear things moving, doors closing, people talking...it was just a regular occurrence.

The landing on the stairs - I remember I would be walking up the stairs and get scared and run up and if I looked back I would see the old lady. Sounds childish now.

Being locked in the closet. - My cousin did this to me when I was 6.

And Zombies strangely enough..so much tho that I bought this:

http://www.amazon.com/Zombie-Survival-Guide-Complete-Protection/dp/1400049628/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I29NAGR7SXYI3Q&colid=JGGH3D20LS5K

Home invasion, being helpless, not being able to protect my family.

The last 3 left an impression on me, so I changed my odds and increased my chances for survival and protection of those around me. Took up boxing, worked out more etc.

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
Caity Lynn said:
^ I've wanted that book for some time now!!!

Ironically enough, Resident Evil zombies, don't frighten me. NO nightmares after that at all...but Night of the Living Dead *shudders* THOSE I have nightmares about.

This was a good read for a Chickflick/Chickpower/Zombie book.http://www.amazon.com/Pride-Prejudice-Zombies-Classic-Ultraviolent/dp/1594743347

yea...this whole post is :eek:fftopic:

Its a great book! It covers everything! Night of the Living Dead is by far my biggest fear. I read somewhere there is actually a virus that is just like the one in Dawn of The Dead. All I have to say is...Praise The Lord and Pass The Ammunition!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GilbertHit