Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Chinatown" Jack N's fedora

DrInfested

New in Town
Kudos to Torpedo for the best avatar ever!
Anyway, I'm trying to find out what kind of fedora Jack Nicholson wore in "Chinatown." I found two threads about the hat, but I couldn't find what company made the hat, or much about it in general.

Does anyone know what make the hat is? Or where I can find a hat that looks very similar or the same?

For reference:
2mr8bxc.jpg

10xa6wg.jpg

90544-004-128EF4D3-793811.jpg

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Welcome to the Lounge. ;)

In reference to this particular hat, When you say similar or the same, what exactly do you mean? Which characteristic(s) are you referring to?

DrInfested

New in Town
zetwal said:
Welcome to the Lounge. ;)

In reference to this particular hat, When you say similar or the same, what exactly do you mean? Which characteristic(s) are you referring to?

It's partly the color, though I'd love it in grey as well. Primarily it is the subtle teardrop type front with the slightly angled brim that is very sharp looking. Also the band looks quite glossy, and is just the right height I like. I don't like fedoras that have really tall or really short bands.

It looks kind of like this one: http://www.millerhats.com/mdressfelt_index/teardrop.htm

But the one Jack N is wearing isn't as bent in the back.

Feraud said:
I am sure one of our local custom hatters can make one exacly like that.
Give TonyB or Art Fawcett a ring.

Thank you.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Intriguing that DrInfested thought the ribbon on Jack's hat wasn't "really tall" -- I like a wide ribbon just fine myself, so I like the hat, too, but I've not seen many ribbons that were wider (or "taller") than that one.

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Intriguing that DrInfested thought the ribbon on Jack's hat wasn't "really tall" -- I like a wide ribbon just fine myself, so I like the hat, too, but I've not seen many ribbons that were wider (or "taller") than that one.

Yes it looks a good 2 1/2" +

Ande1964

Practically Family
This reminds me of a great little detail about the hats in this film. Nicholson's character, who makes a decent living and is somewhat vain, has a few different main fedoras. He changes them to match his clothes. The cops, though, who makes less and care less, have just one hat each. Their hats have to be more in the "match everything" school.

Anj

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner