Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chitrali cap...the most vintage design there is ?

ukali1066

Practically Family
Hi guys,

I thought this might interest some of you, I bought this hat today, it's called a Chitrali cap [ after the the Chitral valley, a stunning place ], although it is known by other names ...Pakol, Khapol

It's basically a tube of pure wool stitched to a flat top, that you roll or fold up

It orginated from the Chitral and Gilgit areas of what is now Northern Pakistan, but it really is much older than that, the design dates back to Alexander the Greats Macedonians that came through this area in Ancient times [ the people here can also be blonde haired and blue eyed, another trait left by the Macedonians ]

Here's a pair of 3rd-4th Century BC statues wearing the original Macedonian Kausia cap which is very similar

They may seem too small when new but I soaked mine in hot water, then stretched it over my knee, rolled it up and I'm wearing it until it dries, being pure 100% wool they're very pliable, available in many colours but I prefer the natural stone shades

chit.jpg

chit3.jpg

chit2.jpg

chit4.jpg

macedonian.jpg

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ukali1066 said:
Hi guys,

I thought this might interest some of you, I bought this hat today, it's called a Chitrali cap [ after the the Chitral valley, a stunning place ], although it is known by other names ...Pakol, Khapol

It's basically a tube of pure wool stitched to a flat top, that you roll or fold up

It orginated from the Chitral and Gilgit areas of what is now Northern Pakistan, but it really is much older than that, the design dates back to Alexander the Greats Macedonians that came through this area in Ancient times [ the people here can also be blonde haired and blue eyed, another trait left by the Macedonians ]

chit.jpg

[]
I tried on something like that while in Pakistan a couple of years ago. Scratchiest wool hat I ever put on. It was like wearing burlap underwear.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
My brother brought me back a hat from Pakistan when he was there (he's a geologist). Its the type that kind of rolls down a bit if you want it to, but its that same type of wool. I cant keep it on my head for more than a minute. The wool is so itchy it makes my forehead break out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou