Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chocolate Bacon

Phineas Lamour

Practically Family
008.jpg

Had this at the Strawberry Festival last night in Plant City, Florida.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Plant City

Oh, man. My in-laws lived in Brandon, Valrico post office. When I visited them a few years ago, I was struck by how the overdevelopment of the area had stopped just about at Plant City, and how that town seemed to retain what I though of as an "old Florida" appearance. Is that still true?
Now as far as that bacon stuff . . . yoiks! Ewww gross! Or was it good????

Phineas Lamour

Practically Family
It was magically delicious! Plant City is still the same as always. I live in Lakeland. Don't know if you visited here or not. Lakeland doesn't believe in preserving anything. Out with the old. Its really sad when they tear down old buildings to build a road or some condos.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
While I'm a big fan of both bacon and chocolate I just can't imagine the combination..

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'll pass......................do you know what the nutritional value is?

First:
3820915138_bb2f1f3409.jpg

Second:[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/87PR_3YWJKY&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/87PR_3YWJKY&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Now the alka seltzer...
AlkaSeltzerPork.jpg

Bourbon Guy

A-List Customer
It's a great combination. Counterintuitive, like a chocolate covered pretzel. Someone makes a chocolate bar with bacon in it. It's really good.

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
Bacon and Chocolate, Salty and Sweet

The chocolate bar with bacon is part of a high-end line of chocolate bars which retail for around $7. They are roughly three by six inches and are very good indeed.

The taste is sweet and salty. Can anyone say Reese's Cup? I knew you could. Ditto for chocolate and pretzels, sweet and salty. Two of the four basic tastes.

LordBest

Practically Family
I have sampled bacon with chocolate, candied bacon, bacon ice cream and a few other variants. All perfectly decent, but none of them can compare to a nice piece of bacon roasted or fried in the conventional manner. A novelty, in my opinion, rather than a natural pairing a la peanut butter and chocolate (a combination which pre-dates Reeses, apparently)

Bourbon Guy

A-List Customer
Then there are dates wrappped in a piece of cooked bacon and put under the broiler. Served with some red pepper sauce. Remind me of woodcock breast done the same way.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
KILO NOVEMBER said:
The chocolate bar with bacon is part of a high-end line of chocolate bars which retail for around $7. They are roughly three by six inches and are very good indeed.

The taste is sweet and salty. Can anyone say Reese's Cup? I knew you could. Ditto for chocolate and pretzels, sweet and salty. Two of the four basic tastes.

It's from Vosges Haut-Chocolat, called Mo's Bacon Bar. It's delicious.

flute

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Here in SF we have the Bacon Maple Latte, you may have seen it on Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations program on travel channel:
[YOUTUBE]aguMoJq44XY[/YOUTUBE]

It's pretty tasty!

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
This made me giggle! They serve the chocolate dipped bacon at the Florida State Fair, too, which I can't help but attend every year. I stepped away from it, but a close friend described it as a pregnant woman's dream come true! I will admit to being a sucker for chocolate covered pretzels, and have any of you gents tried bacon vodka? A friend in the Pacific Northwest told me about it, but we couldn't find any when I was there last summer. I'd love to hear if anyone's tried a bacon martini...

Bacon-brittle

I had bacon-brittle that was really good. Fry up thick cut artisan type bacon and use chunks of bacon to replace the peanuts in peanut brittle.

Rick Bayless of PBS cooking show "Mexico One Plate at a Time" has a t-shirt that says "Bacon is Meat Candy"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot