Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Christmas is coming....earlier each year"

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Here in the Swan River Colony up market department store David Jones, have there windows full of christmas, Trees, Baubles, tinsel, Nick Nacks, and Chrissy cards, they have been there since the 30th August.

They have received a bit of flack in the press, but claim they are only doing what Harrods in London, and Bloomingdales in New York do, is that true, I ask myself?"

Dav

One Too Many
Tell me about it.
I went to my local Wyevale Garden Centre last week only to discover most of the garden equipment had been moved and they were setting up Santa's Grotto, in august.

Foofoogal

Banned
Some of the Fall stuff in already discounted and it isn't even Fall yet.
lol
I love Fall so am sticking with it for now.
Gathering up my Christmas inventory now though. ;)

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I understand the collective eye rolling of the consumer when they see early Christmas set ups in stores, but from working in retail I can tell you that it's usually necessary. I'm not talking about just putting out merchandise, but the actual work that goes into setting up areas, displays, etc. It's not something you'd want to start doing after Halloween, as your window to sell is then less than 2 months. August IS too early, but pay attention this winter and you'll see swimsuits and shorts hit the stores before the new year.

Dav

One Too Many
I can appreciate the need for items for sale being offered way before halloween, but santa's grotto in august, how does that help sell anything.
At least it's never to early to say
Bar Humbug.lol lol lol

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not Xmas YET

Hi

I haven't seen that much Xmas stuff, but Walgreen's had their Halloween stuff out last week, and the empty COMPUSA is already selling Halloween Costumes. I think COMPUSA may have more customers being something new three to five times a year than they had as a real store??? [huh]

Later

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
I tend to get annoyed with this rushing of things...when it is still nice out, the houseplants one can buy are gone quick (not to be replaced until the following year), and the holiday stuff just shoved in one's face so fast that one's braincells can't keep up with it.

I'm hoping to buy some more inexpensive houseplants at Wal-Mart...but I may have to hurry with the way things are being done anymore.

[huh]

And the 'commercialization' of Christmas really disgusts me (and I'm not even Christian)...and on that note - I will stop while I'm ahead.

Katzenjammer

Familiar Face
1961MJS said:
Hi

I haven't seen that much Xmas stuff, but Walgreen's had their Halloween stuff out last week, and the empty COMPUSA is already selling Halloween Costumes. I think COMPUSA may have more customers being something new three to five times a year than they had as a real store??? [huh]

Later

No kidding. With all the empty retail space in my city, the Spirit Halloween Superstore will have its pick of storefronts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy