Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cinematic Haunted Houses

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
From Dracula to Frankenstein, to The Uninvited to The Haunting, haunted houses have been the subject or backdrop of many movies. Hell House has been used in at least 4 movies, I believe. The makers always try to make the house unearthly, frightening to look at from the outside, and mysterious on the inside. In the movie Casper, the house has decayed a bit, as most haunted houses are, but it gives a more "what happened here long ago?" so of feeling, rather than a "I gotta get outta here" one. There are many kinds of haunted houses and haunted structures featured in movies.

One of the one's I enjoy is in the original The Haunting. Without overduing the liveness of the house, the makers created a feeling that the house was alive through sound effects and fancy camera angles. No need for a special effect here. I think it's more challenging to create that feeling without ever actually showing a gargoyle move or the stairs to jump up and grab you.

Another haunted house I like is the one in "Beetlejuice". Here the haunted house associates with two of the central characters. The wife and husband who have died cannot leave the house. A mysterious room has been locked, and the new owners are destined to find out what it contains. The location of the house is also important. Located atop a hill.

So what are your favorite movie haunted houses?

Doh!

One Too Many
Technically not haunted, but the Bates mansion from Psycho is spooky as hell. And if I had the money, I'd have a working replica built so I could live there (sans Mother's corpse).

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
"The Uninvited" is one of my favorites. Outside of the Golden Age is "The Changling" with George C. Scott. Highly recommended for chills.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I thought the mansion/castle in Edward Scissorhands was right down creepy. :rolleyes:

LD

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Miss Brill said:
The house set was also used in I Married a Witch. I really love the "feel" of it. I could totally move right in.

Any house with Veronica Lake living in it would find itself haunted by me real darn quick. :D

Not a movie, but I love the Munsters house. The staircase opening up to the ferocity of my little Russell terrier. The basement laboratory for my science geek son to tinker around in. Heck, I've already got the dust.

Richard

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Some of the assorted Dracula castles that have been created over the years have been the most forboding and haunting to me. Maybe the one in Van Helsing was the darkest of all, though much was CGI.

zaika

One Too Many
I vote for The Shining as well. Although in real life, the Timberline Lodge is really nice. :D

It's not vintage or a movie...nor is it particularly good, but the house they used for the miniseries "Rose Red" was pretty creepy looking from the outside. *shiver* I'd love to see it in a real movie that is somewhat watchable. lol

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Probably nobody remembers this movie, but in 1970, there was a film (a made-for-TV one, I believe) called: "The House that Would Not Die".

It was one of my absolute favourite films as a boy, and the house itself was really something. I think I'd love to live there.

The Amityville Horror house is really beautiful, and something tells me that, if I didn't know of its history, I'd move in there as well.

You know, I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned this yet...

...what about the Addams Family mansion?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy