Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Circa 20s - 30s French Fedora Sz 7 3/8

Purplesage

One Too Many
Circa 20s-30s black French fedora in very good condition. It has a 2 1/2" brim with a raw edge and the open crown is approx 5 5/8" which is wrapped in a matching black grosgrain ribbon. The hat is unlined and it appears there was a manufacturers sticker or stamp on the crown tip at one time. The textured leather sweatband is still relatively soft and pliable with a taped back seam. The size tag glued to the crown behind the sweatband indicates the hat is a size 6 Euro/7 1/4. A Euro 6 is the equivalent of a US 7 3/8 and a UK 7 1/4. The hat was likely made for the European market since I purchased it from a gentleman in France. I wear between a 7 1/8 and 7 1/4 depending on the hat and this fits me pretty loose so I would say a size 7 3/8 is pretty accurate. Aside from the size tag behind the sweatband I could find no other markings on the hat. The felt is in good shape with NO mothing. $250.00 shipped. If interested please contact me via PM.

photo2-30_zps9aa49af1.jpg

photo2-35_zpse85b2296.jpg

photo5-39_zpse2328439.jpg

photo3-32_zps1cc28ff8.jpg

photo1-50_zpsf7673102.jpg

photo1-51_zps5063d8ef.jpg

photo4-35_zpsecbef2d7.jpg

Purplesage

One Too Many
This well preserved French Fedora is still for sale. It has classic lines and very soft felt. I'm not sure of the maker so if anyone would like to weigh in on this feel free. There appears to have been a sticker on the crown tip which would have identified the maker; however, it is no longer present. It fits like a 7 3/8 (I wear a 7 1/8 - 7 1/4). Back for sale at my original asking price of $250.00. I bumped it down earlier but there were no takers. I personally think the hat is worth more than $250.00 but it is Christmas time. Serious inquiries only. Please contact me via IM or email if interested.

DamianM

Vendor
This is a great fedora. High crown and in great shape.
I do hope you find a buyer but I feel there is a lack of interest because of the missing lining and no identifying maker. Those factor count for alot when asking for premium prices

Purplesage

One Too Many
Damian - First of all thanks for your comments but I hate to disagree with you. Vintage hat pricing is somewhat subjective as you can tell from the classifieds on this sight and particularly EBay. Incidentally, there was never a liner in this hat as you can tell from the outlines of a sticker or makers mark on the crown tip. Since buyers on the lounge tend to be more informed I try to provide as much detail as possible when I sell a vintage hat. Things that factor in the price I might ask for a hat are overall condition, research, rarity, size, what I have invested, the time it takes to list and post photos and packing a shipping. I think my time is worth something. Name recognition plays a big part in asking prices. Personally, I would pay more for this hat then a circa 50s Stratoliner in good condition or poor condition. What are you looking for in a hat? I buy hats that I wear or would wear so I may pay a decent (reasonable) price for a hat even if it many have a minor imperfection or two. If you want a hat in Mint condition then this probably isn't the hat for you. If you want a nice 30s era hat that you would wear and is still in this nice of condition then I think this justifies the price. Here is an example of a vintage Knox Homburg (circa 40s I believe) for sale on EBay. It's "marked down" 50% so it looks like a real steal! You be the judge:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Kno...488?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f40099918

Here is a vintage Mallory Ten Homburg in Mint condition which I have listed here on the lounge. Which would you pay more for?:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...y-Ten-Homburg-Fedora-Sz-7-1-8-(NM)&highlight=

Last edited:

Lotsahats

One Too Many
What are you basing the era on? I see that it's taped sweatband; are there other characteristics? What does the text in the tip say? Is that where the French designation comes from?

Purplesage

One Too Many
Lotsahats - I purchased the hat from someone living in France and was told it was French. That is not necessarily conclusive but I think it's a pretty good bet that's where it was made. The size tag and numbers style or font look similar to some other French hats I have come across. There is no visible text on the crown tip just a faint outline of a manufacturers sticker or stamp like is shown in the above photo. I'm basing the era on the dimensions and style of the hat to include the ribbon and bow and the wide textured leather sweatband with a taped back seam.

Purplesage

One Too Many
Bump $200.00 shipped. This is a classic 30s era or older hat in very nice condition. I don't care if it doesn't have any identifiable markings. Price if firm. Don't respond to thread unless you are interested in the hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24