Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CITIZEN KANE, sung well

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Here I am, listening to the radio, and what's playing? An aria that was "sung" rather badly by Charles Foster Kane's brow-beaten second wife, Susan Alexander, in Citizen Kane. Only now, I'm hearing it performed by a true opera singer. It's the first time I've ever heard it sung well. (Citizen Kane all but ruined opera for me.)

Do you associate any famous pieces of music (classical, jazz, rock, whatever) with movies in which they were featured?

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Herman Hupfield's best known work was kicking around for a decade before it appeared in a film. Now who can hear it and not think of the movie it was so much a part of. As Time Goes By makes pretty well everyone think of Casablance, no?

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by airfrogusmc
Hard to listen to the Stealers Wheel song Stuck in the Middle With You and not think of Reservoir Dogs...

hahaha yes. it makes me want to slice an ear off!

And that Lime in the Cocoanut song makes me want to slice off both ears. Yuk.

Mycroft

One Too Many
jake_fink said:
And that Lime in the Cocoanut song makes me want to slice off both ears. Yuk.

She put..., that is true I do think of Resevoir Dogs when I hear that, but also my friend John, he had it on his mp3 player when we were in Ecuador, but the song is good.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, Stanley Kubrick,....

airfrogusmc said:
And the 9th is maybe my favorite Beethoven synphony. The memory ain't what it used to be. Speaking of Kubrick, he's high on my all time best directors list.

One of my all time favorites. Can't really think of a bad movie that he made, they were all good.:)

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Doh! said:
O Fortuna = "Excalibur"

Actually, it wasn't "O Fortuna" (from "Carmina Burana"). The film's music was copied from that piece. Hollywood does this from time to time. The theme from the film THE RIGHT STUFF was copied (sorry, adapted) from a Tchaikovsky violin concerto. And there are passages from Tchaikovsky's "Nutcracker" in the STAR WARS music.

Harry Lime

Suspended
"Goodfellas" equals Tony Bennet "I'd go from Rags to Riches..."

"Moonstruck" equals Dean Martin "That's Amore."

"Apocolypse Now" equals The Doors "The End."

"Laura" equals "Laura's Theme."

"Christine" equals George Thorogood "Bad to the Bone."

"The Graduate" equals "Mrs Robinson."

"Robin and the Seven Hoods" equals "My Kind of Town."

"Caddy Shack" equals Kenny Loggins "I'm Alright."

"Blues Brothers" equals "Soul Man."

"Manhattan" equals "Rhapsody in Blue."

"Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" equals "Rain Drops Keep Fallin' on My Head."

"The Blackboard Jungle" equals "Rock around the Clock."

"Harold and Maude" equals anything from Cat Stevens.

Harry Lime

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80