Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic Compass

tackleberry

New in Town
Hi,
Does anyone have a suggestion for a classic prismatic compass? I'm not looking for a military one necessarily, and nothing modern, more the type of instrument a keen gentleman explorer would use.
Thanks

Woodtroll

One Too Many
The Silva Ranger, also known as the Type 15, was the classic forestry compass for years. Introduced about 1950, I think, so I don't know id it's period-correct for you. The older ones had aluminum azimuth rings; the newer ones have black plastic rings. These can be fantastically accurate and repeatable if used correctly, are adjustable for magnetic declination, and some of the later ones also have built-in clinometers.

Not sure about "gentlemen explorers", but several generations of foresters have used these when they needed anything more than a casual pocket compass. I still have my original one I started my career with, and several more I picked up along the way, mostly because I really like them and appreciate their ruggedness and quality.

1679786790081.png

Attachments

• 1679786685361.png
    1679786685361.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 52

tackleberry

New in Town
I actually do have a Silva Ranger that I bought more years ago than I care to remember. It is a very good instrument but what I am really looking for is something akin to a Francis Barber M73 but perhaps a little more cost effective. I'm searching for the classic look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner