Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic Motorcycle Engineer Boots

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
I have always wanted a pair of these. I would appreciate any advice from someone has worn them as far as comfort, durability, best brands..
I googled a pair and this is one of the styles I am considering:

41630_H_SH315_MW355.jpg

Rufus

Practically Family
Heya B/Boy...

've owned many engineer boots over the years, and I'd recommend Chippewa, or Redwing boots.

Both make great boots, extremely hard wearing. Great for gigs! (and real work..)

I've had one pair of Redwings for over a dozen years and they're pretty much as new, despite much abuse.

The Chippewas are slightly more comfortable, I find.

Kind regards,
Rufus

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
brylcreem boy said:
I have always wanted a pair of these. I would appreciate any advice from someone has worn them as far as comfort, durability, best brands..
I googled a pair and this is one of the styles I am considering:

In sanfrancisco is a very well known shop called "stompers." (stompers.com) and they offer a custom WESCO harness boot. it's esily the best i have ever seen but it's gona cost you.

WesHarn-11-2.jpg

As far as a good boot goes, i love Danners. i have a few pares and they are built to last. my fav being these wellingtons. though they don't come in black.

danne148733_41875_lg.jpg

For my feets, this style, no matter how classic, just do not seem to fit, despite different mfgs. Bates Leathers, Long Beach CA work for me year after year, worn out a couple pair since 1984, rain or shine, but are more Euro-roadrace-esque-60s. They do have the classic buckle straps at heel & top. Ironically, I ordered a custom pair once sans such buckle (and company logo) - oh fickle me. Aerostitch Combat Touring made by Sidi, Italy work and last years, but have their own motocross Adolph Weil - Joel Robair kind of vintage look. If the shoe fits, wear it (in good health)!
Please post your experience.

The Captain

One of the Regulars
I wore Engineer Boots for many years. When I went to high school, the look was eng. boots, Levis, and a white T-shirt (no underwear showing). Of course, that was '48-'50, and styles change. Here is a photo of me at my home in '48 (OK, so there is a swordfish on the shirt).

1362997706_33d2512f09.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Those were my hippy boots in 1966! Haha! I looked a little like an idiot pretending I had a motorcycle while wearing those boots, and sporting hair down to my butt. But I loved them, and got lots and lots of mileage out of them.

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
Rufus said:
Heya B/Boy...

've owned many engineer boots over the years, and I'd recommend Chippewa, or Redwing boots.

Both make great boots, extremely hard wearing. Great for gigs! (and real work..)

I've had one pair of Redwings for over a dozen years and they're pretty much as new, despite much abuse.

The Chippewas are slightly more comfortable, I find.

Kind regards,
Rufus

That's what I am hearing most, Redwings and Chippewas...
Comfort is important... think I'll give the Chipps a check Thanks Rufus...

Edward

Bartender
brylcreem boy said:

Those are superb looking. I bought mine a couple of years ago, and I wish I'd bought something with a more traditional looking sole like those. Mine are in the style of these, but have a sole like the Wasco above. I much prefer a flatter look nowadays. Great boots, though. Mine are a British brand, Grinders. Some things I'd think about, based on experience:

- Mine have a steel toecap. This does make them decidedly heavier. Does'nt really bother me when they're on - YMMV. It does mean though that they can add a bit to the weight of a case travelling - I usually wear them for that reason, though it does mean having to remove them at security (a bonus of no laces... so much faster!).

- Mine are a very shiny leather - from what I've seen, most of the established traditional style brands are more of a dulled finish. I think that would be easier to look after, i.e. a scuff won't show as quickly, if that would bother you.

- Don't expect the snug fit of a laced up jump boot. There was a time when I didn't care for the style (how things change!) and I derided them as "leather wellies." There is something to be said for that in that most of these style boots are a relatively loose fit. I've worn them on a long day with constant walking (once broken in, of course) with no problems, but they

- Trouser fit - If you're shooting for an authentic fifties type look, you'll be fine here. I've seen and heard of folks order these off the web though and discover when they arrvied that none of their trousers fit over them - the trousers-inside look isn't for everyone, though I have worn them that way with drainpipes myself (alas, the drainpipes have had to be retired due to my increasingly corpulent frame).

- winter warmth - a pair of thinsulate lined hiking boots aside, I've never had a pair of boots as good as keeping the winter chill off my feet and ankles as these. Next time I fly out to NYC ni mid February, these are gonig with me!

Rufus

Practically Family
Captain,

That picture of you in '48 is fantastic, the all american kid..!

Great jeans and boots... If only I could convince my son to dress like that...

B/Boy,

Chippewas are really great Boots, you won't regret investing in a pair. They alsodo a shorter ankle boot version of the enginner boot as well, which are easier to wear with jeans.

They saved my toes on a number of occasions, and they are cut much as they were in the 40s so are trimmer looking and less like wellington boots, whih heaper makes tend to look like!

:) rufus

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
Rufus said:
Captain,

That picture of you in '48 is fantastic, the all american kid..!

Great jeans and boots... If only I could convince my son to dress like that...

B/Boy,

Chippewas are really great Boots, you won't regret investing in a pair. They alsodo a shorter ankle boot version of the enginner boot as well, which are easier to wear with jeans.

They saved my toes on a number of occasions, and they are cut much as they were in the 40s so are trimmer looking and less like wellington boots, whih heaper makes tend to look like!

:) rufus

I wish I could find a place to try on a pair of Chippewas, so far I'm finding it really hard to find many places that stock em without order. Only ones I've been able to try on were a pair of Harley Davidson brand, which was only to find out my size. Seems like boots always tend to be a bit smaller than my normal shoe size, Rufus, is that the case with yours?? I guess if I have to I will order and can always return if wrong size. The shorter ankle boot sounds appealing, I did find it a little hard to get my jeans over them, but they rolled up nicely so the buckle would show

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
The Captain said:
I wore Engineer Boots for many years. When I went to high school, the look was eng. boots, Levis, and a white T-shirt (no underwear showing). Of course, that was '48-'50, and styles change. Here is a photo of me at my home in '48 (OK, so there is a swordfish on the shirt).

Captain, that's a great lookin photo you got there. That's exactly how I plan to sport my boots when I get them, cuffed levi's, tshirt or western shirt and my hair slicked back tight...... Too bad the kids today don't dress like that.

Edward

Bartender
brylcreem boy said:
Were these the style you were speaking of Rufus??
found them online at chippewabootshop.com
chippe95.jpg

I love those! Whenever I need a new pair (some years away yet, I suspect!) I'll go looking for some of those possibly. Very period looking.

Rufus

Practically Family
That's the ones, Edward!

although as I mentioned they do different heights, Ankle, Mid and full length.

I've got mid and F/L Redwings, and ankle high Chippewas.

Captain, dear sir, any more pictures?

:) Rufus

steveb7

New in Town
engineer boots

I own 4 pair of Wesco's a pair of "straight engineer boots (round toe, flat heel)", a pair of engineer style boots with western toes and heel and two pair of laceups - one tall, one short - yes, they are pricey, but they last forever and are great quality. I wear the slip ons only when on my 2-wheelers, i dont do a hell of a lot of walking in them.....the lace ups are my walking around in boots of choice when i have to walk around in boots.... which i try to avoid.

Ive owned red wings and they bled black all over my feet first time i got caught in the rain.....ugh....Ive tried Carolina boots - same thing.... Invariably, if you ride a bike - your going to get caught in the rain.....

I guess it depends - are you wearing them for "fashion" or are you wearing them for function....i need them to protect me more than i need them to be a statement.... I go for Vibram soles - they are safer when on a bike (dont slip) and they wear like steel.

YMMV

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails