Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic Style issue #2

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I love this magazine

CS #2 arrived in the mail yesterday. This is definitely a magazine for me. The articles and topics are everything I'm into. It's interesting and informative, the photos are great, what's not to like?

Okay, maybe that article by that Chevalier character who gives away all the secrets to playing it smart on Ebay! :p lol Seriously, I enjoy reading the content from the guys here (I even noticed the esteemed Baron Kurtz was consulted regarding the Apparel Arts Project), and Matt even got an article out there on his favourite gripe, low armholes. Such articles make the magazine a great resource for gentlemen (and ladies) who are interested in all things Golden Era and Classic. :eusa_clap

StanleyVanBuren

OK, I'm starting to lose it here.

Is Pacific Palisades in some sort of black hole I'm unaware of? If anyone can turn on the news and see if my town has fallen off the face of the earth, I'd appreciate it. I'd like to know if the CA coast fell into the ocean while I wasn't paying attention.

I may have to resort to desperate measures such as buying a copy in stores since mine still has yet to arrive.

If this is about the tie knots, I swear I will make them smaller, really. Just get my magazine to me already.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Just got my issue in the mail and it is wonderful! Improves on Issue #1 which was fantastic. The layout and design, the choice of fonts live up to the "Classic" name. It was like reading an issue of Apparel Arts. I also enjoy that it is not just about vintage but a great mix of today's items that have the vintage or classic quality.

I did find it ironic that Alec Baldwin is the style star of the issue while his name is all over the news. Good thing this isn't "Parent Style" magazine. lol

BuddyJ

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
Agreed. We'd love to hear what folks think about the articles. Did the topics interest you? Were they informative? What did you think of the layout, photos, graphics, lettering, etc.?

I picked my copy up an B&N this weekend and have read it cover-to-cover.

Articles were generally good in terms of content and capturing my interest. In my opinion, the lounging article could have been shorter. I wish the piece on selecting materials were longer and more detailed. The same can be said about the Savile Row story. Regarding off-the-rack suits. Why were they selected specifically? Some info about their material, cut, armholes, and construction would have been nice to include.

The photos are nice and the page layouts are pleasing. Graphics and lettering are spot on. I'm not a fan of Issue 2's story jumps to the back of the magazine. Their frequent use hinders the reading flow.

I look forward to the next issue and seeing Classic Style grow.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
BuddyJ, thank you very much for your detailed response.

Up to now, we Fedora Loungers have not been posting detailed reviews, critiques and suggestions about the magazines' content. Maybe it's because we're too "close" to the source, and don't want to risk offending the publisher or the writers (many of whom are around here).

On the contrary: open and specific feedback about each facet of Classic Style would be helpful. The key is to give such feedback with good will. Your goal, hopefully, is to help make this the best magazine possible -- not to tear it down, but to build it up. Saying "the mag is great" is supportive and appreciated, but being more specific (and, if needs be, critical) would be even better.

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
I picked up my issue at Barnes and Noble at lunch today. I only had a chance to leaf through the pages, but like what I see so far. I will chime in with a more thorough critique after I have a chance to read it.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
I actually liked this feature a lot...

BuddyJ said:
I'm not a fan of Issue 2's story jumps to the back of the magazine. Their frequent use hinders the reading flow.
It makes the layout at the front of the mag much better. (Articles appear for 1, 2, 4 FULL pages, etc.). Also, I liked the fact that there was no advertising copy to breakup the flow once you get into the feature articles.

BuddyJ

One of the Regulars
You're very welcome Marc. I love Classic Style on the whole and have recommended it to quite a few friends who are catching the bug. The magazine is how I found FL. It's my intent to build it up, so I hope my comments were seen as constructive criticism. I'd love to see it grow and come into its own, and that usually takes a few issues worth of trial and error to see what works and what doesn't. :)

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
I read through the whole magazine today, and the only trouble I really had was that a lot of the information seemed to steer towards people with a very good budget. I'd like to see more for the modest budget, like myself. $10-$150 is probably a modest budget. Yes, finer made products are good, but it's like anything. Better quality can mean you have a price to pay. Not often, though. There are plenty of products out there that are made well and are a good deal. Go find them and tell a person like me about them.

The other thing I'd like to see is the magazine speaking more to the average man, the one without the finer tastes, telling him what he could do and get to be a moderate eccentric, but not too fancy to seem like he has money in his pocket. Mr. Chevalier's article spoke to this man about the wonders of eBay and the deals you can get on it.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
StanleyVanBuren said:
OK, I'm starting to lose it here.

Is Pacific Palisades in some sort of black hole I'm unaware of? If anyone can turn on the news and see if my town has fallen off the face of the earth, I'd appreciate it. I'd like to know if the CA coast fell into the ocean while I wasn't paying attention.

I may have to resort to desperate measures such as buying a copy in stores since mine still has yet to arrive.

If this is about the tie knots, I swear I will make them smaller, really. Just get my magazine to me already.

I'm feeling the same way. Boston must have fallen into the ocean or something. Myself and my roommate Hemingway Jones are anxiously still awaiting our second issues. I find this incredibly funny considering Hemingway Jones wrote one of the articles!!! I'd really like to have a few copies of my good friends published writing. I don't want to have to go to B&N and buy a copy, but I might just have to do so:(

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
happyfilmluvguy said:
There's plenty of products out there that are made well and are a good deal. Go find them and tell a person like me about them.

Thanks, happyfilmluvguy! Very helpful points. I agree with you.

I deliberately steered away from advising folks on how to buy vintage suits, because there are too few of those suits available to most of us. eBay's modern suits, on the other hand, are more prevalent, easier to find, can look and be well-made, and can be very affordable.

The point is for us all to have a chance to win, and not just the wealthier guys. And that's exactly what MK wanted the article to convey. He deserves the credit for its P.O.V.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
I realized that too. lol And I agree.

My pleasure

I have a lot of friends who I'd be glad to show this magazine to, and will, but I know that by looking at it, it may not seem like their cup of tea. They aren't into the Golden Era, they aren't into suits and dressing up. I'd like them to be able to take a look at the magazine and think, "hey, I can dress and think like this too", and add in their own interests and tastes to make it more personal.

Many people are afraid of or not comfortable in nicer hotels and classy restaurants because it says "I can afford it". I'd like to take that fear away from them. Maybe that's why sometimes a man in a suit can be seen as a rich man, when in reality, they just have an eccentric personality or just want to look nice.

Any of this make sense? :p

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
happyfilmluvguy said:
Many people are afraid of or not comfortable in nicer hotels and classy restaurants because it says "I can afford it". I'd like to take that fear away from them. Maybe that's why sometimes a man in a suit can be seen as a rich man, when in reality, they just have an eccentric personality or just want to look nice.

Any of this make sense? :p

It makes perfect sense. I think you're doing a fine job in defining a potential readership for CLASSIC STYLE.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Perhaps it will spawn a feminine Classic Style? Hint hint. ;)

Imagine an photo advertisement.

Two chairs, one with "Men's Classic Style" on the seat, and in the other, "Ladie's Classic Style" on it's seat.

Underneath reveals text that says "His...or...Hers? You Decide"

I saw a similar slogan in the front of a furniture store in Pasadena. Without "or" and "you decide".

Feraud

Bartender
Marc Chevalier said:
I'm also hoping that more articles will appear that are geared toward female readers, but that male readers will also like. Ladies, what do you think?

A female commented to me there is not much for her to read in the magazine.
Future issues should include the feminine angle of CS. The first issue had a makeup article but I do not recall seeing anything in #2.

The recent resurgence of ladies classic styled swim and evening wear should be addressed. There is a huge crafting/blog/classic homemaker segment of the population that can be tapped.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou