Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic wide leg pants?

nico demouse

Familiar Face
nico demouse said:
Has anyone purchased these wide leg pants from Newport News? I'm thinking about them and just wondered if anyone had any feedback before I buy.

If you were just starting to build a vintage wardrobe, what color or colors would you buy? I'm assuming black would be a basic first choice. For a second pair, would you get another pair of black or a different color? Khaki colored pants seem to be ubiquitous now, but would that color have been worn in the past?

I ended up ordering these and am going to be returning them. I really didn't feel they were wide legged at all. More like a normal trouser width. Also, despite going by the size chart at Newport News, they were too big. So, I am exchanging them for a size down in the EXTRA wide leg. We'll see if those are wide enough!

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
MissAmelina said:
Just found these at Metrostyle!

newpants.jpg

Sadly, I did not get a photo of me wearing these the other night, but they are awesome....Nice and highwaisted with a wide leg straight from the hip.
As my friends know I am sewing my own vintagey stuff, they all assumed I had made them, which was very reassuring as to whether or not the pants looked vintage. One gal said they looked like "little 40's sailor pants" which made me very happy. :) If they get more in my size, I will order a few pairs. And the next time I wear them I will have the DH take a snapshot.

Pay no attention to the scrawny model.....on my 5'6 150lb frame these looked rad and I got lots of compliments.

Vanessa

One Too Many
Edited for picture: Women's Max Studio Sailor Pants can be found and are currently on sale here (and $10 cheaper then when I bought them :eusa_doh: )

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Vanessa said:
Edited for picture: Women's Max Studio Sailor Pants can be found and are currently on sale here (and $10 cheaper then when I bought them :eusa_doh: )

Funny, I just got those at Marshall's a few weeks ago. Mine are more of a boucle feel though.

Vanessa

One Too Many
LelaViavonie said:
Oh i love marshalls... they have some good stuff there.. those are some really cute pants :)

Loehmann's is a great place as well - that's where I picked these up at.

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
I like Express' editor pant. I had gotten them in the high waisted/wide leg, last spring. THe belt kinda sucks though, they din't make the fastener right. Other than that, they're made well. I always wait for their stuff to go on clearance. I just can't afford $75 bucks on pants right now.
I have some vintage naval sailor pants. They are made out wool and I have to wear tights under them. I don't know how those naval men wore/wear them without sratching everywhere. ;D
I love how the bib buttons all the way around.

Vintage Verve

New in Town
Wide legged Trousers from Fedora lounge Member

Hi Ladies

Super Kawaii Mama (a regular here at the Fedora Lounge) is making to order a great pair of high-waisted, wide legged trousers via her etsy shop.

Just thought you might be interested. :)

Inky

One Too Many
Thanks, Miss Amelina! I hope so too, and that they won't take too long to arrive. The most recent item I ordered from England arrived within one week of my on-line order, which is amazing as sometimes things I get from Los Angeles, a mere 3 hours by car, take over a week to get here ;)

I hope these denims see me through a few summers!

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
BombshellBella said:
I love wide leg pants! They seem to work on all body types.

I will respectfully disagree with you there :( IMO wide leg pants dont work well on all body types, wide leg pants look terrific on tall slim ladies, ladies with long legs. May be I'm wrong...i don't know... they look amazing on the catwalk for instance (6 foot high models :eek: ) ... High waisted pants on the other hand, are easier to wear but i don't like them with a very wide leg...
I suppose it's all a matter of perception [huh]

deco_darling

One of the Regulars
I just bought the Vivien of Holloway 40's style pants a few days ago as well. I hope I get them soon. I haven't heard back from her since I emailed her with a question. They are very affordable I may add. I usually have to find well designed or vintage inspired wide leg pants from designers.

Someone mentioned a place called Heyday Does this place still sell pants? Doesn't look like this website has been updated in a while.

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
Inky said:
I finally caved in after receiving my tax refund and use a bit of it to buy the Vivien of Holloway 40's style jeans.
3292554815_cff1522674.jpg

I hope they fit - I've had terrible luck lately!

INKY!!! Those are sooo cute! and they have my size.. I am going to see if I can have them sent to the address in the UK so that when I get there.. they are waiting for me!! SOOO CUTE!!! When you get them.. take a pic! We want to see how cute you look in them! :D

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
HadleyH said:
I will respectfully disagree with you there :( IMO wide leg pants dont work well on all body types, wide leg pants look terrific on tall slim ladies, ladies with long legs. May be I'm wrong...i don't know... they look amazing on the catwalk for instance (6 foot high models :eek: ) ... High waisted pants on the other hand, are easier to wear but i don't like them with a very wide leg...
I suppose it's all a matter of perception [huh]

I am 5ft and on the heavier side of a US size 14. A wide leg trousers looks fabulous. On the other hand, a high waist makes me look all boob! I can't wear high waisted pants or skirts because my waist is high and my bust is low. In my mind, only tall, thin women look good in high waisted pants.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
kamikat said:
I am 5ft and on the heavier side of a US size 14. A wide leg trousers looks fabulous. On the other hand, a high waist makes me look all boob! I can't wear high waisted pants or skirts because my waist is high and my bust is low. In my mind, only tall, thin women look good in high waisted pants.

Yes kamikat, I understand what you are saying and i do agree with you. I think that the high waisted/wide legged argument should be taken case by case according to body variations. It's just that i dont agree with the stament that "they work on all body types" because honestly, nothing short of a tent would work on all body types.
These are just my just thoughts of course and by no means universal conlusions on the matter. :)

RebeccaMUA

One of the Regulars
Inky said:
Thanks, Miss Amelina! I hope so too, and that they won't take too long to arrive. The most recent item I ordered from England arrived within one week of my on-line order, which is amazing as sometimes things I get from Los Angeles, a mere 3 hours by car, take over a week to get here ;)

I hope these denims see me through a few summers!

Oooohh!!! Cute! You must post pics when you receive them :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran