Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cleaning a ribbon

hargist

One of the Regulars
I had previously posted a thread about the merits of a leather sweatband vs. cloth when it comes to a Panama. My concern was that I might sweat through the cloth band and discolor the straw or ribbon. I decided to keep the cloth band that came with the Panama, and my worst fears were realized.

It appears that perspiration from my brow has caused lines of discoloration on the ribbon. Is there a way to clean this? If so, how? Is there some kind of dry process that will remove the stains?

panama2.jpg

panama1.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I'm afraid not, sweat stains on ribbons are pretty much impossible to remove. Other stains, you can get out, but sweat, not really.

hargist

One of the Regulars
Really? Nothing can be done?

I suppose I can always replace the ribbon and have a leather sweatband installed to prevent it from happening again. But I just love how comfortable the cloth band feels.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
you could put a backing between the cloth sweatband and the hat to prevent further staining. It's on some of my older felt hats (though they have leather sweatbands, it still helps). Most are made of plastic, or the old primitive plastic-y material which I can't remember the name of which was used for the center of liners.

hargist

One of the Regulars
That plastic backing idea is excellent! I'll see if my local hat store can help me with that.

In the meantime, I want to see if I can find some dry cleaning solution that might help. Any suggestions with that?

Flieger

Practically Family
As I've posted before (but not had reason to try myself yet). An old household recipy for removing sweat stains on fabric is using diluted vinegar.

Worth a try? [huh]

Flieger

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
A little FYI

hargist, as far as comparing a leather vs a cloth sweat, I have pondered this as well. I am a big fan of leather sweats, that having been said, I have had problems with sweat stains on hats with leather sweats. So if this is your reason for wanting a leather sweat, you may not get the results that you want. As mentioned before, getting the stain out, is not that big of a problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred