Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cleaning Sterling Silver (It works!)

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I just tried the method described here by Zemke Fan; http://www.thefedoralounge.net/showthread.php?t=7991

This is my Air Transport DUI before treatment:
213d7096.jpg

The same piece immediately after 2 treatments with hot water and baking soda on tin foil as described in the aforementioned thread. Works very well! I could even smell the distinct odor of sulfer as the silver sulfide,(tarnish) was being removed.
In fact it worked so well that it took all the paint off as well as the tarnish.

Opus196.jpg

Most folks would maybe be horrified at this result, :eek: but with my artistic inclinations such as they are, it was no problem for me to simply repaint the details in a much more durable modern 2 part epoxy paint.

And after a light polishing with baking soda in a paste form on a soft cloth, to even out the sheen, then repainting the details, it turned out good as new. :)
Opus197.jpg

Donna Stewart

New in Town
Impressive! Your results had me running to the kitchen to try it out for myself. I'd given up hope on polishing an intricate piece of jewelry that I recently acquired, but this just may do the trick- thanks.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Aww shucks,....

.....don't thank me, thank the chemist that figured it out. :eek: It really does work very well, and should do a great job of removing tarnish from the nooks and crannies of intricate pieces. 2 treatments seems to work best, have fun.:)

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
A tiny caveat...

Maj.Nick Danger said:
.....don't thank me, thank the chemist that figured it out. :eek: It really does work very well, and should do a great job of removing tarnish from the nooks and crannies of intricate pieces. 2 treatments seems to work best, have fun.:)
Remember the lesson that Maj. Nick learned. This technique seems to remove paint or other embelishments on top of the silver. Use it carefully!

indyjim

Familiar Face
I used to wear some very intricate pieces of Indian jewelry, with turquoise and coral inlays. Obviously, any kind of silver polish would ruin the inlays. I used to make a paste of baking soda in the palm of my hand, and just rub and wash the jewelry like I was washing my hands. Rinse it off, the silver gleamed, the inlays were clean and I was good to go for weeks. Sometimes a soft toothbrush was good for those nooks and crannies.

Katt in Hat

A-List Customer
Worked Beautifully on Service for Eight + Serving Pieces!

A few pieces were so badly tarnished that I had to run them through the bath 3 times but twice took care of all the rest.

Ain't Science Fun, Kids? :arated:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara