Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cleaning ties?

cowboy76

Suspended
I did the same thing with woolite,..but did not use the container,...just let sit in the sink and swirel them,...though I like you're way MUCH better,...next time I'm going to do it the way you did it. Good advice!!

I also used Oxyclean,..worked for me very well,..no breakdowns yet,..YET.

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
Some time back my friend and I acquired a number of really stunning - and REALLY STAINED - men's 40's ties - of the variety Johnnysan has photographed. (Did his ever come out well!) Most cleaned well using the same method - gentle soap and hand agitating, but a few were just beyond - and they were worth saving. So we took a risk, knowing we'd either ruin them for good or save them, and soaked those one individually in a solution with Biz. Result - the three rayon ties that did NOT have a red in them came out beautiful and bright. The two that DID have red bled, and that was the end of the that.

I wouldn't recommend Biz for such materials except as a last resort, but being something of a rescuer, I don't mind taking on "last resort" projects.

The ties look like they are almost brand new.

Johnnysan said:
Certainly!

First, my "high-tech" washing machine...

bucket.jpg

All six ties, as a group...

ties_01.jpg

and a closer shot of them all...

ties_02.jpg

ties_03.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality of the photos - not a lot of set up time! I wish I had some "before" photos, but I wasn't thinking at the time. The Woolite bath did make a noticeable improvement.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Sure Oxyclean will clean the tie, but from what I've read it will attack the silk. Maybe it wont destroy the tie right away, but I'd prefer not to damage my 60 year old ties any more than I need to. And I have read that Woolite is just too harsh on vintage fabrics too. What I read and have done that worked very well was using a combination of Fels Naptha bar soap, grated into warm water. And spot treat with the bar too. You can throw in some Borax in the water too and let it all soak. Both of those cleaners are Golden Era products that are still easy to find.

You can buy them online here too:
http://www.soapsgonebuy.com/?Click=2

Hat Head

One of the Regulars
Pymander said:
Has anybody used this "Silk and Clean" pad that Jos Bank sells? I've got a couple of ties that I'd love to save, but I guess I'm too cheap to shell out the $10 to see if this works.

http://www.josbank.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=&pcount=&Product_Id=307192

I've used these, but my ties are all a few years old at most, 100% silk. They've worked great at getting food stains out of my ties, but I can't vouch how they'll work on vintage ties or different fabrics.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
J. M. Stovall said:
What I read and have done that worked very well was using a combination of Fels Naptha bar soap, grated into warm water. And spot treat with the bar too. You can throw in some Borax in the water too and let it all soak. Both of those cleaners are Golden Era products that are still easy to find.

You can buy them online here too:
http://www.soapsgonebuy.com/?Click=2

J.M. -

Thanks for the link. I've been looking for Fels Naptha locally without luck...now I have a source! ;)

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Speaking of ties

Over the years I've seen vintage tie pressers floating around... they kinda look like a pie or cake server with an electric cord.
The idea is that the presser is narrow enough to slip inside of the tie you can press it on the wrong side. Plus you can avoid "Mashing" the edges into a sharp thin crease.
I've had so-so luck with simply steaming a tie, or using the steam iron but holding most of the weight OFF of the tie. It... kinda worked....

Feraud

Bartender
John in Covina said:
Here it looks like some of the yellowing is gone too.
That is correct. The tie is noticably brighter since the Oxyclean method.

With so much anecdotal information out there sometimes you have to pick a method and go for it.

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Ingredients

Feraud said:
That is correct. The tie is noticably brighter since the Oxyclean method.

With so much anecdotal information out there sometimes you have to pick a method and go for it.

Has anyone looked at the ingredients of the OxyClean to see if there is anything that might contribute to shattering or decomp in the future? Just curious.

FG.

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Oxyclean and its distructive properties?

I have not looked at the label in years so I'm totally working from memory and theory.
Oxyclean has soda ash, same stuff as Arm & Hammer Soda Ash for the wash (hint hint). This is rather BASIC, opposite of Acidic, so it drives the pH of your water up. Bases tend to be destructive like acids, but usually on different things. I put acid AND base on my jeans once- the base ate through them!

Also, a lot of these cleaners have "Digestive enzymes" which are exactly that- enzymes that break down compounds, like food. However, they don't know that *this* organic material is a stain, while *that* material is the tie itself.

So, in short, you have a cleaner that is corrosive combined with stuff that digests organic materials.

K

kpreed

Now I am really confused. What will work best on my 60 year old hand painted silk tie?

Feraud

Bartender
kpreed said:
Now I am really confused. What will work best on my 60 year old hand painted silk tie?
Not sure about that.
Does anyone know what type of paint was used in these ties?

Someone needs to collect a bunch of unusable ties, the various cleaning methods, and engage in a major vintage tie cleaning experiment. :)

FedoraGent

One Too Many
For the good of the cause...

Gentlemen,

For the good of the cause, I shall go ahead and do that. I will also clean them and have HappyFilmLuvGuy film it. :)

You think I'm kidding, I most certainly am not.

FG.

However, this will have to be AFTER Christmas.
Feraud said:
Not sure about that.
Does anyone know what type of paint was used in these ties?

Someone needs to collect a bunch of unusable ties, the various cleaning methods, and engage in a major vintage tie cleaning experiment. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred