Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cloth vs. Leather Sweatband

hargist

One of the Regulars
I recently purchased a new Panama for the summer (I'm wearing it in my avatar). I love the hat, but it came with a cloth sweatband.

I'm a little worried that my sweat may soak through and discolor the straw. I think my sweat is particularly acidic or something because I destroy undershirts.

Anyway, I'm considering having a leather sweatband installed. I'm just wondering how common is it to have a cloth sweatband in Panama hats. It's darned comfortable, but since it's made to be worn in warm weather, wouldn't a cloth sweatband be more likely to stain the hat?

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
hargist said:
I'm a little worried that my sweat may soak through and discolor the straw. I think my sweat is particularly acidic or something because I destroy undershirts.

I don't know about hats, but your undershirt issue is probably due to your deodorant, not your sweat. Using a non-antiperspirant deodorant that doesn't have aluminum oxide in it can help reduce the incidence of underarm stains.

hargist

One of the Regulars
No, it's the sweat. The entire shirt becomes discolored very quickly. My shirt collars also need special care. That's why I'm concerned for my hat.

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
When Its Hot you Perspire!!!!

Welcome to the club!!! I personally think that fabric(?) sweatbands are more comfortable in hot weather than leather. Thats just me. IF you perspire a lot, any sweatband is going to transfer to the hat. Wear what you feel most comfortable in, and trust to fate. If you ruin your hat, get another!!!!!

hargist

One of the Regulars
I agree that cloth is more comfortable in hot weather. The funny thing is that I don't perspire that much. In fact, I perspire less than most. There's just something about the quality of my perspiration that tends to cause discoloration very quickly.

I suppose I could simply not worry about it as you suggest, but after spending $140 on the hat, it's not exactly disposable.

I think I would worry more about ruining the ribbon or pugaree on the hat more than rotting the straw. [huh]
Pugarees are easy to fix. I just take it off and take it to my local drycleaner. The ribbon is another story. :eusa_doh:
If you are worried about it, I would have a leather sweatband with vent holes installed in place of the cloth sweat. You kind of get the best of both worlds that way.

Regards,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn