Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothing color combinations

Medvssa

One of the Regulars
I have no idea what season I am :p I think I might be in between seasons or something. Most people say winter because of the high contrast between my skin and my hair, but I find that many winter rules do not apply to me, although others do.
I think altering my hair color makes me change season pretty definitely, with black hair I look like a winter, and with red hair I look like an autumn. I used to get compliments on both hair colors, but I decided to go natural several years ago. With natural hair I really don't know what I am :p

My skin is very pale although I can tan pretty much (honey, but I don't) and my skin undertone is ivory, not very warm but definitely not cool. My hair is a very dark, neutral toned brown, not quite ashy though. My eyes are darkish olive. The most flattering color for me is emerald green. That is the only one I get any compliment with. I look awful in orange (any hair tone), most blues (especially with red hair, although petrol blue has always been nice). But I can wear golden yellow (?). I think I look awful in white, so much I have nothing and cannot show you :p I think it accentuates my undereye circles a lot. I only wear ivory and cream for light colors. It may be in my head though :p I think I cannot wear brown close to my face (it was better with red hair). Some people say purple is nice, but if it is not very jewel toned, I think it washes me. out a bit, and so does powdery pink. I hate bright pinks (cool) on me, but that may be just because I don't like them :p or viceversa... Does any of this make any sense? :p

Ok, pictures. I think this is the most flattering colour item of clothing I own:

IMG_3022.JPG

Possibly best for eye color.

Oh and the picture wearing yellow...

IMG_4100.JPG

I could post some more pics but my website is acting up.

Christy

One of the Regulars
Chanteuse Carey, thank you for the help. :)

Paisley- I usually get compliments when I wear red, blue-red shades. I also get compliments when I wear black, and my dad told me I look good in pink, it was a rosy pink color. I have some pictures of me in different colors a little farther back in this thread.

Paisley said:
CC might be right, but I can't tell from the photo. The lighting is inadequate.

What colors get you a lot of compliments when you wear them?

Christy

One of the Regulars
Thanks Paisley. :)

I agree with you on the hair. When I look at the pictures, I think those two look better. I was actually trying to go to the brown-brown (natural color) in my graduation picture, but it turned out the black-brown color. I go to a stylist to have my hair colored, but it never comes out the color I'm looking for. I've been trying to go back to my natural color for a year now and it either comes out the black-brown or red-brown. I've actually always wanted to try blonde or a natural light red, but I'd never attempt it. lol I'd be content with something close to my natural color.

O.k. it's the end of my :eek:fftopic: hair rant! lol

Medvssa

One of the Regulars
I have thought I was Autumn, I like and I think I can wear many of the tones of that palette (like this?); but, well I think I can't do brown or dirtier greens (although I love them :() and I also doubt about salmons and corals (some coral eyeshadow here, and here bronze and salmon, I love them but I think it doesn't work :( that dress was mossy-khaki and I ended dyeing it black).

Paisley said:
The picture of you in the yellow shirt threw me off; maybe it's your makeup.
I think the white balance is very off in that picture, my skin looks cool toned. But I was myself surprised that yellow wasn't that bad, since orange is. Not a color I like much so it doesn't matter :p I was going for mustard yellow when I dyed that fabric, I think it would have been better?

As for makeup, I don't know. This is a cool eye shadow, and another. Another purple I found. It is not so bad? but those are winter colors right? [huh]
Bright yellow and green. Fuchsia is UGH, it wasn't that bright though.

When my hair was red, I could do these warm tones. I think it looks awful now though :(

Sorry, million pics :p I just like to play with makeup (and I take pictures for later reference). But perhaps the most flattering is just something simple like this or this.
I am mostly interested in the makeup choices, since most of my clothes are black and it is what I feel more comfortable in [huh]

Paisley

I'll Lock Up

Medvssa

One of the Regulars
Paisley said:
His overall appearance suggested black, but looking more closely, his clothes are often dark brown or dark grey.
Yes, I really like cool browns and dark taupe tones, brownish greys and greyish browns, when you cannot really tell what color it is. But, well it is very difficult to find clothes in those tones (unless for some reason they come in fashion :p), or even fabric to make them yourself!

Lillemor

One Too Many
Browns, ruddy colors, and warm colors don't really flatter me because I'm a deep winter but I try to make them work or I wouldn't own a single piece of vintage clothes or anything classic retro that looks remotely vintage because classic styles are in soft and muted tones.

Right now I'm wearing a retro plaid skirt where the white, black and wine red saves the brown from being unflattering, plus it's not near my face. I'm wearing a black top, vintage wine red bangle, vintage black screw back earrings (with white/red/yellow dots so you can actually see them despite my black hair) where the metal part has the same antique bras tone as the zipper in my brown suede boots, and two strands of black and white retro beads. I'm just wearing thick black thighs because it's cold, a bit rainy and very windy outside. Very often, that wine red bangle ties the top of my outfit in with the skirt.

Perhaps a bit OTT in coordination for some people's taste. Especially for those who hate the coordinated look. I've always loved coordinating things and was frustrated when the uncoordinated look was trendy and everyone assumed I hadn't noticed and "just needed to be pointed in the right direction".:rolleyes:

When I wear brown near my face, I usually wear a turtle neck in a jewel or other deep tone underneath. If the brown top is a turtle neck then I wear a cardigan, and jewelry near my face in flattering clear deep tones.

I don't regularly wear make-up anymore but matching it perfectly to my complexion is more important when the top of my clothes doesn't flatter my complexion perfectly than it is at times when the tones in my clothes flatter me perfectly in which case I look just fine without make-up or in soft make-up.

Most of my actual vintage pieces of clothes are knits from my MIL and she's a Fall and looks good in muted shades of heather or wine red. I look good in deep fuschia and deep wines so I'll accessorize and wear shades of fuschia (lipstick), deep wines (lipstick and that bangle), other jewel tones, black and pure white to balance things out and still be able to wear some authentic vintage pieces of clothes which are otherwise outside of my means.

One of the wool skirts my MIL has passed on to me has pepita checks in medium browns and brandy tones but it also has some flecks of deep turquoise/petrol, so I bought a turtle neck in that color and if I wear silver jewelry I get away with the warmer tones in that skirt.

I use that same petrol top under a brandy colored knit dress from my SIL and I always wear a jewel red, clear wine or clear berry lipstick with the brandy dress. Then I match some jewelry to the lipstick so it all ties in!:D I keep my shoes, belt and bag in black>>>matches my hair! I suppose a black top would work too. I either wear black or petrol tights but always in the same color as the top otherwise a petite lady like me gets cut up in to too many pieces.:eek:

crazydaisy

Practically Family
Ok, so I bought this gorgeous dress that fits perfectly, but...there is a problem. The colour. My husband says it's bad on me. (He doesn't like the dress much either - thinks it looks like a curtain - but with that, I can live. :) )
I need a slip to wear underneath it and have tried the dress on with different things to compare colours so that when I buy a slip I can choose one that would make it more flattering - if that is possible at all. :(
These pics show the dress, which is a peach/light coral/light pumpkin shade, worn with a peach slip. (Never mind about the length of the slip, I don't have one long enough.)
4035162432_06debb005b.jpg

4035162426_38d38eaede.jpg

Then here I am wearing it with a mint green dress :D underneath for lack of a slip in that colour.
4035173888_e6bf2ff8e4.jpg

4035173896_3bf675452f_b.jpg

And finally with a deep coral pink one here:
4035162452_ee1ea3b25c.jpg

4035162456_65f1e30d51_b.jpg

What do you think? Is it really that bad?

texasgirl

One Too Many
I like the peach slip, and I think it looks lovely on you. :) He might just not like the dress? But I think it's really pretty!

crazydaisy

Practically Family
Yes, the last one is far too dark but I was thinking that perhaps a lighter coral pink might work. And indeed, the peach slip is the most natural choice, I just thought that maybe he was right and it looked bad on me. [huh]
I like the ideea of a bronze slip, perhaps that will work. It will probably take me years to find a slip in that shade - or any shade that would be right for me, but hey! :)

Medvssa

One of the Regulars
Well, it is a very pretty dress and I think it looks very nice on you. I like the peach slip, but I also like the green. I do not like the coral, I think it clashes Have you tried grey? or even black? black may be too much, but a nice grey may make the general tone a bit colder.

crazydaisy

Practically Family
Yeah, black is too much I think. As far as grey goes I run from it as if it was the devil! lol But I totally see what you are saying by cooling the tone - I felt that was needed with this dress. I am supposedly an Autumn, but can't wear anything that resembles orange.

texasgirl

One Too Many
Leluxe on ebay has this one is a nice champagne color. You might see if they could get it in a longer version. Or I think they have a Cream color in the long

biasgoldfront.jpg

crazydaisy

Practically Family
I have actually checked that already :D but they don't do a long version in peach :( , there isn't one on their website either! However their slips look great, I was thinking to get a couple of short ones for other dresses. Shame shipping is so expensive. Are they good quality?

texasgirl

One Too Many
I have one and I'm actually wearing it on Saturday night (with my fabulous flapper dress!)for the first time so I shall report back. It's heavier material than I expected, pretty thick. Yeah, I thought the shipping was high for a slip, but I got desperate! I actually ended up ordering it off their regular website as a friend gave me a coupon code from their MySpace page. If I remember right it's just myspace in the coupon code. Oh, I see it's 20% off until 10/29.
http://www.leluxeclothing.com/servlet/StoreFront

SayCici

Practically Family
Lillemor, I know how you feel about coordination! I feel out of sorts if I feel I'm wearing too many colors. If I'm wearing a dress that is all one color, I'm alright with a contrasting shoe, but I'd prefer everything to match. Just my style I guess!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925