Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothing color combinations

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Those four photos are great examples of the different seasons.

Note that the winter and summer are cool. Kelly has silvery blond hair and pink skin; Taylor's hair is black and her skin is cool olive.

The spring and autumn, in contrast, are very golden and red.

helenhighwater

Familiar Face
That's interesting you say that, Lillemor, because it's like I was suggesting and that the colour theory idea takes some people out of their comfort zones. and if you end up feeling uncomfortable in a colour, is it going to suit you?

Miss Sis

One Too Many
The four photos are very good examples of each of the Seasons.

Winter and Summer are the cools of the spectrum. So, cooler colours with blue undertones (yes, even colours like bright red can have a cool blue undertone)

Autumn and Spring are the warms with red/orange type undertones. Winter colours are bolder than Summers' and Autumns bolder than Springs.

It's a bit more complicated than saying, if you are a Winter you will have darker hair, as true blondes can also be Winters rather than Summers. It's natural haircolour plus eyecolour plus skintone.

That's not to say that sometimes you might not take a colour from another 'Season' that looks great on you, but as a rule more colours from your season will look really good on you than those from any other. Example, my mother is an Autumn. She has warm skintones, brunette hair and brown eyes and suits gold jewellery. So she looks great in warm colours, BUT she looks fantastic in bright shocking pink and bright red- Winter colours. She gets so many compliments when she wears them. [huh]

Lillemor

One Too Many
Paisley said:
Those four photos are great examples of the different seasons.

Note that the winter and summer are cool. Kelly has silvery blond hair and pink skin; Taylor's hair is black and her skin is cool olive.

The spring and autumn, in contrast, are very golden and red.

Oookay, I think I'm with it now. Thanks.

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
Miss Sis said:
The four photos are very good examples of each of the Seasons.

That's not to say that sometimes you might not take a colour from another 'Season' that looks great on you, but as a rule more colours from your season will look really good on you than those from any other. Example, my mother is an Autumn. She has warm skintones, brunette hair and brown eyes and suits gold jewellery. So she looks great in warm colours, BUT she looks fantastic in bright shocking pink and bright red- Winter colours. She gets so many compliments when she wears them. [huh]

Thanks...I had fun hunting those photos down.

And your right...there can be plenty of crossover. Liz's skin tone was pretty versatile back then---here's one of her in a "Fallish" bright and warm orange---she can still pull it off. Look how blue it makes her eyes look. In fact, when I saw this I second guessed and thought maybe she *was* an autumn and not a winter---but there are lots of photos out there that prove otherwise.
(But frankly, she was so stunning, with the right makeup she probably could have warn just about anything. :) )

liztaylor.jpg

Like your mom, I am an autumn too. But my skin has enough olive in it I can pull off a rich burgundy or hot pink....I need to have the right makeup for the latter, however. And I doubt I look as good as Liz Taylor. :)

And here is a link to the woman who started this whole "coloring" business. It fun to look at her pictures with each swatch:
http://www.carolejackson.com

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
You're right: some people are so stunningly beautiful that they look good in just about anything. Others are neither very warm nor very cool, and so they don't fit as neatly into one season.

Just to show how certain shades do look better, here's Elizabeth Taylor in a cooler red:

elizabethtaylor.jpg

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
cherry lips said:
Can you tell me which season I am?
grngon3.jpg

ninathehairdresser.jpg

I am no authority, but I would say you are definitely a warm. You just spring to life in that top photo. Your eyes pop and your skin glows...and that green is an autumn shade. Even though the bottom photo is cute as a button, the black washes you out a little. When I have more time, I will post a pickie so you can see how certain shades wash me out too.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Cherry lips- cast on your hair...

Left to your own devices, does your hair have an ash tone (Ash Brown) to it, or a golden cast. It looks maybe ash brown, but hard to tell. Without makeup pic- do your cheeks naturally a noticeable pink in them? Also what color was your hair as a child?

If you look great in burgundy you'd most likely be a summer, if it drains the color from your face, you might be an Autumn. How do you look in pumpkin compared to pastel baby pink? Navy is a tricky color.

Your eyes are green or hazel right? Or are they brown?

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
I think it's ash brown. When I was a child it was a lighter ash brown with blond highlights (I called it golden back then because it reminded me of Rapunzel). It still has some gold in it, even though I think it's cool (absolutely no red). In the second pic my face is nude, my cheeks are flushed because I'm hot. So yes, my cheeks are naturally a little pink. My eyes are hazel (mostly green). I can't answer your question about the colors though...
chanteuseCarey said:
Left to your own devices, does your hair have an ash tone (Ash Brown) to it, or a golden cast. It looks maybe ash brown, but hard to tell. Without makeup pic- do your cheeks naturally a noticeable pink in them? Also what color was your hair as a child?

If you look great in burgundy you'd most likely be a summer, if it drains the color from your face, you might be an Autumn. How do you look in pumpkin compared to pastel baby pink? Navy is a tricky color.

Your eyes are green or hazel right? Or are they brown?

Lillemor

One Too Many
miss_elise said:
okay, now I'm really confused

having used lillemor's questionaire... i have winter skin, summer hair and spring eyes.
lol

Then you go to your main season's chart and look at the X season with y influence and so on. It's explained on there. Whether it's clear or not is your judgement.:)

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Paisley said:
Others are neither very warm nor very cool, and so they don't fit as neatly into one season.

I really have a feeling that this is me. I cross over a lot, but Mary's swatches were so great that I'm going to copy her one of those days, maybe that'll clarify it. :)

For me it's quite clear that Liz is a winter, though, she is a gorgeous stunning and dangerous ice queen. The same with Grace Kelly. Of course, as beyond-gorgeous women, they can cross over and still look amazing. I clearly remember this dress with a black top and pure white skirt, that Grace Kelly wore in Rear Window. It was perfect on her! Black and pure white look so good on her.

rear-window-spying-neighbor-jimmy-stewart-grace-kelly-alfred-hitchcock.0.0.0x0.356x450.jpeg

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Carlisle Blues said:
CherryLips those are very charming pictures of you. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Thanks Carlisle! I think most people here had this reaction though *yucky* "Not another cherry lips pic or post, I can't take it!" hahahahaha
I'm actually not that in love with myself (maybe just a little tihi!), I was sincerely curious about the season I belong to... honest haha! Any ideas are welcome.

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Lillemor said:
I'm confused (or maybe just ignorant) I think the 'Summer' looks more like a Spring and the 'Fall'/'Autumn' looks more like a Spring. Summer + Fall = low contrast. Spring + Winter = high contrast...roughly/generally unless one is a subcategory. Uhm...now I've just managed to add to my own confusion.:eusa_clap ;):rolleyes:
chanteuseCarry can correct me if I'm wrong, but basically, Spring/Autumn= yellow undertone =gold= warm, and Summer/Winter= blue undertone= silver = cool.
Strong contrast = Autumn/Winter, low contrast = Spring/Summer.
I had a personal total consult done about 15 years ago by someone who was trained directly by Carole Jackson and read up quite a bit on this system at that time, so this is how I remember the general concept. It's also a method to make it easier to choose colors that compliment and harmonize with your natural coloring so the entire picture harmonizes, instead of one item standing out. If you purposely want to make something stand out, you can use this system in a reverse sort of way. For instance, if you want to procrastinate at work :p choose colors that drain color from your face ;) I am Autumn and do very badly with black--consequently, I manage to look mournful at funerals even if I am feeling chipper and bright, thanks to mourning black which is still very much the standard here. :rolleyes:

With portraits, make up and lighting and even the texture of the fabrics can affect the results, so with actresses, I'd think it's the combined effect of the gorgeousness of the ladies plus the techinique of the photographer and stylist when they pull off a perfect look outside of their seasons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara