Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothing color combinations

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I think I might be seeing more navy, but what I'm really seeing tremendous amounts of is chocolate. And dark grays.

Navy's such a pain to match, compared to blacks, though.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
I really want a classic trench coat look, and a coat that I can use all year. So not black. Navy I'd consider, but I'm leaning towards either beige or stone. Would stone be best for my complexion, still look classic and be wearable all year? I'm just fearing that the beige will be awful on me.

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
I would go with the stone....it is gray enough that it would still suit your wintery complection fine just fine...AND you can wear it with numerous colors....like brown and black shoes...if you got the black then you can't really wear brown shoes or boots (If you are a matchy-matchy person, like me :) ).

And if you don't particularly like beige, than you might not wear the coat very often....and it's an expensive investment, like you said.
You want it to be very versatile and feel good in it. And i think stone would look very nice on you. When I was looking at your photos, I thought purple #1 looked really smashing....and the stone would be similar to that....if that makes sense. Same contrast or whatever. I can't think of words....I have not had my cuppa tea!!
That's my two cents!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Laura Chase said:
I really want a classic trench coat look, and a coat that I can use all year. So not black. Navy I'd consider, but I'm leaning towards wither beige or stone. Would stone be best for my complexion, still look classic and be wearable all year? I'm just fearing that the beige will be awful on me.

A little research shows that stone (or a color close to it) is a classic trench coat color as well.

breakfast%20at%20tiffanys%20shot2.jpg

I don't worry about matching my coat color to my outfit.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
If not black, then the stone as Paisley said would be better for you-no beige.

Laura Chase said:
I really want a classic trench coat look, and a coat that I can use all year. So not black. Navy I'd consider, but I'm leaning towards wither beige or stone. Would stone be best for my complexion, still look classic and be wearable all year? I'm just fearing that the beige will be awful on me.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
a good example of an orange-red...

Since sometimes being able to identify what an orange-red looks like as opposed to a blue-red is tricky, here is a good pic of orange-red. The brown on this evening gown is very golden in its shading, the beading is brown and gold. Oh, I'm a Spring, with light golden freckles and brown eyes.
365884164.jpg
365884170.jpg

Lillemor

One Too Many
Chanteuse, that's a very lovely dress.:)

I own beige for the first time and have no idea what goes with beige.[huh]
I've been given a contemporary "spadserere dragt" I think you simply call it a skirt suit or strolling suit in English. It's two sizes too big but and even though I know it's supposed to be a looser fit for comfort but I can't get used to the look. I'm broad shouldered and wide hipped so it's not like it's falling off me.

Camel and brandy doesn't suit me and I don't own anything in those colors. I'm willing to buy accessories if they'll go with other colors than beige. I have a sage green skirt I also lack something to wear with so if the top can be used with both sage green and beige, then that would be ideal.

Cut of skirt suit is very similar to this:
http://cdn.overstock.com/images/products/P11537986.jpg

Due to family politics it was diplomatically impossible to turn it down.

Leave wondering where I'll wear something like that to me.;)

Is there any way to give something like that retro appeal through styling alone without modifying the suit itself?

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Is there a dark red that suits you, Lillemor? I like to pair beige (when I wear it... which is hardly ever... ) with a dark brick red. This works with vintage pretty well; lots of fun options in belts and shoes in brick or possibly oxblood? And its not more brown if you don't like brown.

Now, with the caveat I am obsessed with green: would a dark clear bottle green or a softer green-toned gray work with both your beige and your sage? Failing that, dark gray is pretty foolproof. I like the deep graphite grays. I think paler dove might just be too light to make much of any kind of statement with two colours already as neutral-ish as beige and sage - I tend to like pale gray as the calm element against bolder things.

Goldfish

A-List Customer
Laura Chase said:

I have been wondering the same. I am a PPP (Pale Porcelain Princess :D) like you, but my coloring isn't as strong as yours, I am a summer. So I don't want to wear black. Besides that it is very neutral/versatile, I don't like stone. IMO it isn't strong enough for winters like you and washes out summers like me.
It's so hard to find a color that suits the own complexion and matches a lot of pieces, I haven't found my trenchcoat color yet, either...

Lillemor

One Too Many
miss_elise said:
what are the other colours in the signature burberry tartan? they all go with beige...

Thanks to all three of you. Those are some great ideas. Deep reds suit me and red is a new obsession with me this year. You're right miss_elise, I hadn't thought of that.:) I'll have to look at Burberry plaids that have beige in them.

Green happens to be my favorite color and there are lots of greens that suit me, especially the deeper ones. Deep clear colors generally suit me. Grey is really good on me.

Right now I only have grey for winter wear but this will give me some top colors to look for next Spring and my wardrobe plan will become more focused.:)

Dark chocolate brown is the only shade of brown that suits me because all other shades of brown seem to wash me out but I really like dark chocolate so that's good.

I could get that first or as the secondary color and then add the other colors with time for more options but I'm really keen on the beige and red. Beige, chocolate brown, red!:)

Laura Chase

One Too Many
I can see that the stone might be too close to my own skin color. This is what the coat looks like, very classic. Is black a classic trench coat color too? :eek: I can't decide! It's either black or stone... Really, I think I need both. lol But can't afford that.

LADIES_TRENCH_COAT_Front.gif

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Laura Chase, why don't you PM Paddy and Lauren? I'm sure one of them know whether black is a classic ladies' trenchcoat color. Sometimes, though, the message that a color conveys is more important than whether it goes with the owner's skin tone. I'm a summer and I wear a beige trench coat. It's not really my color either, but it conveys the classic image I like. Around here (downtown Denver, Colorado, pop. 2 million), I rarely see any trench coats in colors other than beige. Black might not be considered conventional, even if there is a precendent for it.

Can you exchange the coat if you don't like it?

If you're going to be living in a sunny place soon, a black coat might be too hot in the summer. It would be in Denver!

Really, I still think the stone one is your best bet.

cordelia

New in Town
hi !
I did the test on the site :

http://www.ireneeonline.com/

I'm sorry, but it vas very surprised, at first, and colors i had to wear are really not good for me....
I thought, it was because my english was not well, but after lots of persons i know tried and desagree to, i think there is a problem....
i need warm colors(automn or spring, not sure), and the site told me to wear winter palette.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
cordelia said:
hi !
I did the test on the site :

http://www.ireneeonline.com/

I'm sorry, but it vas very surprised, at first, and colors i had to wear are really not good for me....
I thought, it was because my english was not well, but after lots of persons i know tried and desagree to, i think there is a problem....
i need warm colors(automn or spring, not sure), and the site told me to wear winter palette.

I think you're right. That site told me I'm an autumn, but I can't wear any of the colors they recommend.

Goldfish

A-List Customer
Paisley said:
Sometimes, though, the message that a color conveys is more important than whether it goes with the owner's skin tone. I'm a summer and I wear a beige trench coat. It's not really my color either, but it conveys the classic image I like.

I think coats, trenchcoats and jackets should be well designed, emphasize your style and work really well with your coloring.
After all, it's what most people see you in most of the time, so you should only go for the best!

Oh and about finding out your "season":
I wish you all could speak German because I am on a message board where the ladies are A+ at finding out your season based on photos and some questions. They say that that ireneeonline site has some weird and false theories, so I would not rely on that too much. If anyone does have a lot of problems finding out their season I can ask them for help :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou