Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothing Terminology

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I've always understood it to be primarily a difference in fabrics and structure -- a suit would have a more structured jacket, and be made from a generally heavier fabric, while the top of a two piece dress would be made more like a blouse than a coat, and the fabric in general would be lighter.

I've seen a lot of crossover in these terms, though, especially when you get into the "suit-dresses" of the early forties, which could go both ways. I guess what it comes down to is if it *feels* like a dress, it is one.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
A lot of times it may look like a suit, but a two-piece dress has a top or jacket that is made like a dressmaker style, not a finished tailored jacket. They're often unlined.

Lotta Little

One of the Regulars
I always think of a lined, structured jacket as being part of a suit, too, even if it has short sleeves. Otherwise "suit" as in "suit-of-clothes" just means clothes that are meant to be worn as a set, in which case, a two-piece dress qualifies.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
kamikat said:
Can someone explain the difference between a suit and a two piece dress?
Suits require an elaborate infrastructure, where dresses are little more than shirts.

LaMedicine

One Too Many
I'd always interpreted a two piece dress as a blouse and skirt ensemble, made out of the same fabric, so looks like a one piece dress when worn together. You can wear a jacket over this if you like.
A suit as a structured jacket and skirt/pants ensemble, with/without lining, that, while some, especially summer suits, don't require one, usually requires a blouse/shirt/sweater type inner clothes inside the jacket.

roselily

One of the Regulars
I tend to think of a suit as needed a separate blouse underneath, where a two-piece dress is worn on it's own. (unless it's a sheath dress/jacket combo...I'd probably consider that a suit)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner