Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cockpit A-2 Goat

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
OK, if you've been following along you probably know this is my second Cockpit A-2. The first in sz 42 HH was just too big for me. I think this one fits better. It's a 40R which goes to show that Cockpit's jackets may run a bit large cuz I almost exclusively wear sz 42 jackets.

The goatskin reminds me of my LL Bean bomber which is as tough as nails. The stitching looks good - no annoying loose threads like my Schott jackets. :rolleyes: I really like the fit of the sleeves. Not too tight, not too long, not too loose. Just right. Torso length appears just right too. I have some other nits but I'll let you be the judge.

Not bad for about 320 beans total and, again, I was able to take my time and try on different sizes and hides in the store. All the folks who work there seem very knowledgeable about the jackets and their degree of historical accuracy.

Some folks want a stitch for stitch replica of a specific WW2 contract. And to those folks I say, get a life. No, no I'm kidding. haha. :D What I really mean to say is this is a decent quality, affordable and accessible jacket that is probably accurate enough for those looking for a less than 100% faithful repro.

Untitled-3.jpg

Untitled2-1.jpg

Untitled3.jpg

Untitled33.jpg

Untitled4.jpg

Untitled88.jpg

Untitled9.jpg

green papaya

One Too Many
the problem with buying a smaller size leather jacket is it wont fit right if you gain a little weight, I dont even wear mine anymore because I dont like the restrictive fit, I prefer the fuller freedom of movement of a bigger size.

lots of guys like it to fit snug or fit like a glove, thats fine if you have a natural slim build, but if your stocky you need a looser fit for comfort

apba1166

A-List Customer
I think it fits/looks just right. I disagree about loose fit--I dont want to buy to fatten into. Not only that, I used to buy a bit small in the shoulders, as long as the overall length was good. I found on good jackets, the leather stretches to fit and even gets roomier. The ill-fitting ones never do, they wear you rather than vice-versa.

i have a couple that fit me large, and wear them with heavier sweaters on colder days. That works.

But in the end, if you just have two or three jackets that fit right, or even snug and wear them a lot over years, they will feel roomy over time but won't look it.

Mark

Speedbird

A-List Customer
it's good!

captaincaveman1 said:
OK, if you've been following along you probably know this is my second Cockpit A-2. The first in sz 42 HH was just too big for me. I think this one fits better. It's a 40R which goes to show that Cockpit's jackets may run a bit large cuz I almost exclusively wear sz 42 jackets....

...Not bad for about 320 beans total and, again, I was able to take my time and try on different sizes and hides in the store. All the folks who work there seem very knowledgeable about the jackets and their degree of historical accuracy.

Some folks want a stitch for stitch replica of a specific WW2 contract. And to those folks I say, get a life. No, no I'm kidding. haha. :D What I really mean to say is this is a decent quality, affordable and accessible jacket that is probably accurate enough for those looking for a less than 100% faithful repro.

This one does look a better fit for the shaped look. I think you hit the nail on the head with the description of it: a decent quality, affordable and accessible jacket. At that price point I think it is excellent. Too many times I hear comments that basically say that an A-2 of this type hasn't got the accuracy or detailing of a $1000 jacket. True enough, but it hasn't got the price tag either. When someone can show me how to fit a pint of beer into a half-pint jug then we will have a winner - until then, this is an excellent easy to wear and good looking multi-purpose choice.

Out of interest, was the lighter coloured HH out of stock in this size?

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
Yeah I disagree whole-heartedly. I have been 170-180 for almost 10 years. If all goes according to plan I'll still be 170-180 10 years from now too.

Diet and exercise.

green papaya said:
the problem with buying a smaller size leather jacket is it wont fit right if you gain a little weight, I dont even wear mine anymore because I dont like the restrictive fit, I prefer the fuller freedom of movement of a bigger size.

lots of guys like it to fit snug or fit like a glove, thats fine if you have a natural slim build, but if your stocky you need a looser fit for comfort

jack miranda

A-List Customer
Hi, ccm1: Nice jacket. Good fit. That should give you

decades of solid wear. Well done, you and Cockpit. Nice to know about their sizing, too. I've wondered if they cut their patterns a bit large for the 'modern' guy; a size down works jayroo. Thanks for the pics. Oh, what was 'off' about the HH size? Did you try on a 40R in HH and find it an odd fit?

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
jack miranda said:
decades of solid wear. Well done, you and Cockpit. Nice to know about their sizing, too. I've wondered if they cut their patterns a bit large for the 'modern' guy; a size down works jayroo. Thanks for the pics. Oh, what was 'off' about the HH size? Did you try on a 40R in HH and find it an odd fit?
Yeah, the HH just seemed a bit too big in the shoulders, even the 40. That's one fault about their A-2's sizing. They are consistently big in the shoulders.

I wear a backpack to work quite often and I think goat will endure my abuse better than HH. Cockpit's HH is very soft and supple and I think would show wear faster - which could be a plus depending on how you look at it.

kojax

Practically Family
nice jacket good luck . i was wondering if the a-2 goatskin has the cotton brown linning....i was wondering i am a size 38 do you think the cockpit a-2 goatskin or horsehide would fit me. thanks alot KOJAX

RLM

Familiar Face
Nice jacket Capt. A shame about the russet HH, I thought that one looked good on you too, but maybe that's just because I prefer russet. I've lost wieght and my 44R US-A A-2 is a little large on me now, so I'm thinking about another, but am considering a Cockpit this time after seeing your photos and reading your thoughts on them. I'd love an Aero, ELC or GW, but even though I'd like to have an authentic contract replica, I frankly just don't want to spend that much money. I've already got a $700+ Aero LHB on the way, which should be here just in time for summer:rolleyes: , and my wife would totally flip if I spent that or more on another jacket.

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
kojax said:
nice jacket good luck . i was wondering if the a-2 goatskin has the cotton brown linning....i was wondering i am a size 38 do you think the cockpit a-2 goatskin or horsehide would fit me. thanks alot KOJAX
Hard to say without knowing your measurements. I suggest a call to the cockpit NYC store about sizing questions. Tell them Phil referred you.

The jacket does indeed have a brown cotton lining.

RLM said:
Nice jacket Capt. A shame about the russet HH, I thought that one looked good on you too, but maybe that's just because I prefer russet. I've lost wieght and my 44R US-A A-2 is a little large on me now, so I'm thinking about another, but am considering a Cockpit this time after seeing your photos and reading your thoughts on them. I'd love an Aero, ELC or GW, but even though I'd like to have an authentic contract replica, I frankly just don't want to spend that much money. I've already got a $700+ Aero LHB on the way, which should be here just in time for summer:rolleyes: , and my wife would totally flip if I spent that or more on another jacket.
I hear ya. I was an inch away from ordering an Aero A-2 but the thought of waiting 2 months kinda turned me off. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to own one and they are worth every penny based on reviews I've read. But for me, the marginal utility starts getting harder to justify when I considered that the Cockpit jacket costs half as much and is a subway ride away from the office.

apba1166

A-List Customer
I like the seal brown. Always looks better on, that color, than it does in photos. I have a no name horse A2 that is medium--even light--weight in seal brown and I've come to wear it a lot in spring and fall.

442RCT

One of the Regulars
Avirex A-2 Modern Fit

I'm shorter and don't weigh as much as you, so it looks like the sz 40 goat you bought would be too big for me, the majority of my A-2s are a sz 40 or if it's an especially 'trim' fit, it'd be a 42.

I recently bought an as new Avirex HH A-2 in sz 42 off eBay. I have a couple of older used sz 40 Avirex A-2 jackets which were a bit tight in the shoulders. I thought going up one size (which I do on a regular basis because of the shoulder fit), would be a safe thing to do if I bought another Avirex A-2 jacket. I was way wrong, this new Avirex hh sz 42 fits like a sz 44 and way too baggy for me, either that or Avirex sewed in the wrong size label. :rage:

Unlike you, there is no nearby Cockpit/Avirex store for me to go and try on their products. When you buy off the bay, you takes your chances, as they say. So far I've been lucky and with only one or two exceptions, the jackets have been okay fits.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Hey Capt.

Great choice. Glad to see that The Cockpit is getting good press. I am very envious, I wish I could make it to the store every weekend. I bought the same jacket almost 3 years ago from the Cockpit store. Tried on many sizes and styles. Walked away with a 44 and it hasn't shrunk yet. ;) I've worn it in rain/snow/sleet/and heat and has worn in very nicely. It has taken everything I could throw at it. Enjoy it!

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
apba1166 said:
I like the seal brown. Always looks better on, that color, than it does in photos. I have a no name horse A2 that is medium--even light--weight in seal brown and I've come to wear it a lot in spring and fall.

The seal brown and knits are actually more brown than the indoor shots suggest. Here's a closeup in overcast sunlight.

Untitled333.jpg

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
Hey guys, I sent Jacky, part of the husband-wife team that runs Cockpit, a link to this review. She told me the jacket I have, style Z2107G, was actually the official issue jacket up until 2000. How's that for authenticity? hehe.

Yeah, just to clarify, this was the jacket model that Cockpit/Avirex was instrumental in re-introducing to the USAF back in 1987. From what I understand, it was a pretty faithful re-intepretation of the original WW2 patterns. Later, after 2000 I think, they added more pockets and altered the cut to fit today's military requirements.

Jacky, feel free to post up if you have some more comments. Direct feedback from OEMs is certainly welcome at this forum.

kampkatz

Practically Family
I once tried on a 1987 version USAF A-2 in a size 40(my suit size) and it was way too tight. Apparently the newer version is looser. It would be nice to be near a store such as you are, then one could be certain of an acceptable fit.

jon z

One of the Regulars
A better fit than the HH

I think you did the right thing. The fit of this jacket is far better IMO. It's much more in keeping with the other jackets you've posted. The HH was the oddball. Like you I buy my jackets to fit me now, not to fit a future expanded me. If I started putting on weight & my jackets began to not fit I'd damn well do something about. Keep them coming.

reflected

New in Town
OK, if you've been following along you probably know this is my second Cockpit A-2. The first in sz 42 HH was just too big for me. I think this one fits better. It's a 40R which goes to show that Cockpit's jackets may run a bit large cuz I almost exclusively wear sz 42 jackets.

The goatskin reminds me of my LL Bean bomber which is as tough as nails. The stitching looks good - no annoying loose threads like my Schott jackets. :rolleyes: I really like the fit of the sleeves. Not too tight, not too long, not too loose. Just right. Torso length appears just right too. I have some other nits but I'll let you be the judge.

Not bad for about 320 beans total and, again, I was able to take my time and try on different sizes and hides in the store. All the folks who work there seem very knowledgeable about the jackets and their degree of historical accuracy.

Thanks for the review. Might I enquire about your measurements? My chest size is 39, I'm 6 feet tall and weigh 154 lbs. Size 40 is supposed to be my size, but I'd like a tighter fit than yours. What size do you think I should go for?
Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy