Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cockpit USA A-2 - After Break-In

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
This jacket seems to fit better as it ages. If you recall, I reviewed this when it was brand new in another thread. Been wearing it almost every day to work. Poured hot tap water over the sleeves at one point to get them to pull up a tad. I like the fit better this way.

This is the 1987 contract A-2 BTW. It's the pattern re-introduced to the USAF by Avirex.

Anway, thought I'd throw some pics back up here to show how one of these looks like w/ age. I have my nits about the cut but overall I'm satisfied especially given its price. Don't think I'll be buying another A-2 anytime soon...

Untitled3-7.jpg

Untitled-10.jpg

Untitleddddd.jpg

Untitleddd-1.jpg

Untitledd.jpg

Untitleds.jpg

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
captaincaveman1 said:
Don't think I'll be buying another A-2 anytime soon...

And that's saying something, for you! I like the trim fit... Not too blousy. Remind me again, is this HH or goat?

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Avirex (Cockpit) has always been a bit of an enigma. They are somehow able to produce the goofiest "cartoon" flight jackets...and with a straight face refer to them as "authentic reproductions"...while, at the same time, producing high quality mil spec and USAF-issued flight gear…which, ironically enough, is as real as the day is long.

Here is one of my issued Avirex A-2s. I have been wearing this jacket for years and it is still one of my favorites. Funny. I used to think that I should apologize to my jacket-nerd friends on another forum for liking this A-2. Nowdays, I'm not so concerned about that. ;)

Dscn3636.jpg

AF

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
This is the goat.

It is what it is... the issue jacket from 87 - early 90's. Perhaps a less interesting time period compared to say the WW2 era. Nonetheless it has its place in history. Who knows, maybe 50 years from now jacket nerds will be collecting these. hehe.

Arguably the only jacket that can be called an "authetic repro" since its the same pattern as the military issue and is manufactured by the original company. lol

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
knits

Hey Capt. I have the same jacket but is 2.5years old. The leather is solid with no wear (as far as scrathes/scuffs)at all just lots of wrinkles. This jacket has been riden hard and put away wet as it were. Everything from cutting firewood,shoveling snow,cutting grass to being worn to weddings. The knits are starting to wear slightly. No holes just balling up. I am thinking this might be a good time to replace them with a berry colored knit. Going for the Aero look. Any thoughts?

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
Phantomfixer said:
Hey Capt. I have the same jacket but is 2.5years old. The leather is solid with no wear (as far as scrathes/scuffs)at all just lots of wrinkles. This jacket has been riden hard and put away wet as it were. Everything from cutting firewood,shoveling snow,cutting grass to being worn to weddings. The knits are starting to wear slightly. No holes just balling up. I am thinking this might be a good time to replace them with a berry colored knit. Going for the Aero look. Any thoughts?
Yeah rust colored knits would look great against the seal.

This is why I chose goat over horse - they take so much abuse and hardly show any wear. I typically wear this to work so I was concerned about my laptop bag wearing away at the shoulders.

Thanks for the comments.

green papaya

One Too Many
Atticus Finch said:
Avirex (Cockpit) has always been a bit of an enigma. They are somehow able to produce the goofiest "cartoon" flight jackets...and with a straight face refer to them as "authentic reproductions"...while, at the same time, producing high quality mil spec and USAF-issued flight gear…which, ironically enough, is as real as the day is long.

Here is one of my issued Avirex A-2s. I have been wearing this jacket for years and it is still one of my favorites. Funny. I used to think that I should apologize to my jacket-nerd friends on another forum for liking this A-2. Nowdays, I'm not so concerned about that. ;)

Dscn3636.jpg

AF

AF , thats how an A2 should fit, yours actually has some room to move and room for ventilation, goat skin wears well still looks new after years of wearing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR