Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cocktail Infusion Project #1: Blackberry Infused Vodka

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Loungers,

I felt that someone might actually enjoy my new Cocktail Infusion Project, so I'm posting here to share my enjoyable experience today. In 2004, I had a cocktail called the "Avalon Cocktail". This cocktail consisted of the following recipe for one cocktail glass full.

Avalon:
1 1/2 Huckleberry Vodka
1/2 Lime
1/2 Triplesec
1/2 Simple Syrup

This was created by a bartender friend of mine and it was great. The hard part of about it was finding the huckleberries. Well, I have found a place here in Los Angeles that will be getting them soon and I will have my Cocktail Infusion Project #2. However, I had NEVER infused anything in my life. So I decided I would get supplies, fruit, vodka and such to conduct my first Cocktail Infusion.

I have infused three small trays of Blackberries (6oz a piece), three full Oranges, lime juice, simple syrup and Rose's along with Vodka and Triplesec. I carefully muddled the fruit over and over again until I brought it to a pulp. I then filled the muddled mix into the jar and added the liquid portions. I will let it sit in a cold dark place for 1 week, being careful to stir it daily. Lastly, I will strain it and bottle it in preparation for our cocktail party on March 28th. I'll freeze both bottles.

Here are the pictures from the project.
P1020166.jpg

P1020167.jpg

P1020168.jpg

P1020169.jpg

P1020170.jpg

P1020171.jpg

P1020172.jpg

P1020173.jpg

In a week I will let you know how it tastes. Also, in May I will be doing this with Huckleberries.

Thank you for letting me share.

FG.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I didn't realize infusions required things other than just the berry (or what have you) itself. Did you make it up or get a recipe somewhere?

Technically they don't. The infusions made by the Fire and Ice restaurants here in Boston just use vodka and the fruit.

I have a friend who has made many of the strangest infusions he can find - Kentucky Fried Chicken, bacon, pumpkin (this one was ok), ginger (quite good). I always urged him to do a roasted garlic one. I think a jalapeno one would be great to use in bloody marys and other cocktails.

Did you infuse the vodka and triple sec or just the vodka?
I usually leave my berries whole but I guess you would get more of the flavor crushed. However I do crush the cherries in my Cherry Jack. ;) :p
I usually taste the mix daily as it might need a little touch up on taste and what the heck you might as well taste it. ;)
Strain the mixture through cheese cloth and you have it ready to go for drinks. :cheers1:
I think it will work out fine for you.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
I usually leave my berries whole but I guess you would get more of the flavor crushed.

You'll get more flavor, but really what you'll get is a mix of vodka and juice, not really "infused" vodka. I consider an infusion to have a hint of flavor, not the kind of flavor you'd get from that much juice. Also, if you use whole fruit, you can save it to use as garnishes.

Regardless, this concoction looks delicious.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
KittyT said:
You'll get more flavor, but really what you'll get is a mix of vodka and juice, not really "infused" vodka. I consider an infusion to have a hint of flavor, not the kind of flavor you'd get from that much juice.
Exactly.

KittyT said:
You'll get more flavor, but really what you'll get is a mix of vodka and juice, not really "infused" vodka. I consider an infusion to have a hint of flavor, not the kind of flavor you'd get from that much juice. Also, if you use whole fruit, you can save it to use as garnishes.

Regardless, this concoction looks delicious.

Ah, that was sort of what I meant to say. ;) :D

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Recipe

The original recipe called for HUCKLEBERRIES. As they are not in season, I used blackberries until May when I could get the real mccoy. The recipe came from Tim Stookey (http://www.cocktailtimes.com/mariebrizard/tim_stookey.html). He's a buddy of mine and he'd done it in the past...and well I was bored so I figured what the heck.

Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I didn't realize infusions required things other than just the berry (or what have you) itself. Did you make it up or get a recipe somewhere?

FedoraGent

One Too Many
What I infused.

I infused the vodka, the triple sec, blackberries, three oranges, lime juice, Rose's, simple syrup and good ol fashioned sugar.

jamespowers said:
I usually leave my berries whole but I guess you would get more of the flavor crushed. However I do crush the cherries in my Cherry Jack. ;) :p
I usually taste the mix daily as it might need a little touch up on taste and what the heck you might as well taste it. ;)
Strain the mixture through cheese cloth and you have it ready to go for drinks. :cheers1:
I think it will work out fine for you.

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Taste Test #1

I couldn't sleep, so I woke up and decided to put my chemist hat on. Each day I've been stirring it and adding what is needed for taste. However, I do not want to add too much sugar or I will get blackberry syrup. Today's taste was good, it definitely had the blackberry flavor, was a bit tart and definitely needed more sugar. I added three lumps and stirred the heck out of it. However, the strength of the vodka taste I fear might over power the rest (As well as my guests on the 28th) so I am considering infusing:

- Guines Cherries
- Mint Leaves
- Possibly other ingredients

It has only been since Wednesday the 11th so we will see.

I'm rather excited about this infusion, however I am still trying to figure:

- Garnish - Lime peel
- Garnish - Guines Cherry with fine sugar lining the cocktail glass.
- Garnish - Guines Cherry with cinnamon lining the cocktail glass.
- Garnish - Blueberry or blackberry with a mint leaf.
- Garnish - Blueberry or blackberry with a slice of orange floating at the top.
- If I'm going to make a cocktail, gimlet or a fizz ... or possibly both all with the finished product.

All in all the project is going well.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

FG.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Strawberry Vodka

Fedora Gent, this sounds excellent.

I've infused a few vodkas myself in the past using mostly just the fruit and maybe a little sugar or lemon juice. Varieties include:

Strawberry - the favourite and the white strawberries that are leftover are interesting in themselves.
Cucumber - also rather good
Blueberry
Pear
Cinnamon
Chocolate
Apple
Licorice

I've also made Lemoncello & Sloe Gin - but would perhaps like to try my hand at Cherry Brandy next.
Maybe coffee vodka?
I like the idea of ginger too :)

I really enjoy this sort of thing and I would recommend it to anyone and, depending on flavour, it is usually pretty straight forward.

carter

I'll Lock Up
When I was in the bar business, we made lots of different infusions to add a hint of flavor. Most of these were used for martinis. It helps to have an infusion jar with a valve at the bottom.

Jolly Ranchers are great for infusions. Just add a single flavor. Green Apple is terrific,

Pineapple slices stacked in an infusion jar and covered with vodka make a tasty beverage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran