Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coen Bros

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Yes.

I love the way the film looks. It doesn't hold up as well as a piece of work for me, not in the same league as some of their other great work, but it does look fantastic. Billy Bob has just the right physique for those fabulous late 40s duds.

Feraud

Bartender
Same here!

I like this movie a lot. The Coens did a nice job on this film. Sadly, I have not had a chance to re-view it in some time.
The use of b&w was refreshing. Not enough current films utilize this option. Memento comes to mind. The framing of scenes, with B.B. Thornton's staring face is perfect for a noir style story. Sad and 'world weary' looking.

As jake_fink said it is a great looking movie but not in league with some of their other work.

I guess they all cannot be Big Lebowskis. ;)

airfrogusmc

Suspended
Thanks for the link. I see this film has been discused. I thouhgt it was a good film but The Big Lebowski, Fargo and Barton Fink are great films I agree.

Did anyone out there see The Station Agent? If so, comments?

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
That Thorton movie in Santa Rosa

I've had people say "Hey, "the Man Who Wasn't There" was filmed here in Santa Rosa." *
"No," I reply, "It takes place in Santa Rosa. It was filmed in Southern California."
"But I remember when Billy Bob was filming here." is their angry retort.
"He filmed "Bandits" here with Bruce Willis." Now I'm sorry I started this.
"Then why does it say it's in Santa Rosa?" confusion and fury mixes in their voice.
I might as well continue at this point, "Perhaps because the Coen Brothers are film fans and it was a wink to Hitchcock's "Shadow of a Doubt"." We seperate, each sure the other is wrong.
I don't mention that locations don't look like Santa Rosa; at least we're done.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

*I live in Santa Rosa

matei

One Too Many
What Feraud said above is spot on.

I really liked the film, but more for the visuals than the actual storyline. Until I'd seen this film, I wasn't too keen on Billy Bob, but I think he was very good in this film.

I remember seeing it in Dublin at the UGC... The fact that it was B/W bowled me over - it was great, a great change. The looks, clothing, sets - it was all tré cool.

airfrogusmc

Suspended
Matei, have ya ever seen Sling Blade? "I sure do like dim french fried pataters"

Billy Bob wrote, directed and stars in it. How 'bout Duval as his dad?

Other good Billy Bobs are A Simple Plan and Bad Santa.

Feraud

Bartender
Sling Blade is fantastic. I will never forget my wife and I going to see this and knowing nothing about it! I could not stop doing that "mmmhhmmm" grunt! :)

A Simple Plan was good and I have not seen Bad Santa. I think Billy Bob is not a bad actor at all. My wife hates him because he is a bit of a philanderer... [huh]

btw, Billy Bob's cameo in Intolerable Cruelty,(another Coen film) is hilarious!
I love when he eats the 'Massey pre-nup' with b.b.que sauce! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot