Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cold Cream- Brands and advice!

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
Kate O Potato said:
Boots had sold out of Pond's today so I bought their own brand. It just smells like Zinc and Castor Oil, but I'll see how it goes...

Now that you mention it, it does! I'm contemplating adding a drop or two of rose oil just to scent it.

Retro Chick

New in Town
I also had to buy the Boots traditional as they'd sold out of Ponds. I think Ponds are changing their packaging, so maybe they're running out the old stock?

I'm quite impressed with the Boots one so far. It is runnier, which was my concern, but it seems to emusify and get thicker on my face and go a lot further than the Ponds.

I'm also trying witch hazel as a toner as I'm too skint to buy the fancy stuff. I hate the smell though, can you add some essential oil or something to it to make it smell nicer without ruining the effects?

Last thing, if you do like the Boots Original Formula in the gorgeous glass jars, everything was half price when I went into Boots on Friday, so I'm stocked up on Vanishing Cream!

melanie

One of the Regulars
I was just wondering if cold cream is ok for oily skin? My skin is quite oily, so I do not want to put anything on it which may make it oilier (is that a word?).

Also, do any of you girls have any tips for oily skin, i.e, how I can get rid of the oil?

Miss Scarlet

One of the Regulars
I'm sure someone will be able to answer this better than me. I haven't got oily skin, but I do know that oil dissolves oil. To train my hair to last a whole week without a wash I put olive oil on it twice a week before a wash and within two weeks I could leave my hair for longer than a week without washing. So I don't know if oil on your face would help. Does anyone know if it does? But that's beside the point.

With oily skin I've been told you should use dark clay masks once a week, wash your face with hot water instead of cold and use degreaser soaps such as Clearasil. Water based foundations are also better for oily skin. Hope that helps a little.

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
MissHannah said:
The Boots Original Formula Rose Cold Cream has been discontinued due to poor sales. I'd had trouble getting hold of it so I contacted them and they emailed me back today saying it was all gone - there isn't even any in their warehouse. :cry:

Oh no! I just bought and tried some for the first time this last weekend and LOVE IT! I do hope they reconsider and keep it going. I think I might pop over to the Boots website and let them know that....

Belle Fatale

New in Town
melanie said:
I was just wondering if cold cream is ok for oily skin? My skin is quite oily, so I do not want to put anything on it which may make it oilier (is that a word?).

Also, do any of you girls have any tips for oily skin, i.e, how I can get rid of the oil?

I have pretty oily skin myself, especially in the summer, and I switched to the cold cream & witch hazel routine (with Pears soap and witch hazel in the mornings) about a month ago with no ill effects. It's even made my skin slightly less oily, I think, and it's really made a difference with both my blemishes and my blotchy skintone. I even went out without any foundation on today, it's looking so good. I still have to blot like crazy, though.

Also, my dictionary says oilier is a word, if you were still wondering. ;)

melanie

One of the Regulars
Belle Fatale said:
I have pretty oily skin myself, especially in the summer, and I switched to the cold cream & witch hazel routine (with Pears soap and witch hazel in the mornings) about a month ago with no ill effects. It's even made my skin slightly less oily, I think, and it's really made a difference with both my blemishes and my blotchy skintone. I even went out without any foundation on today, it's looking so good. I still have to blot like crazy, though.

Also, my dictionary says oilier is a word, if you were still wondering. ;)

Lol, thanks for checking that. :)

What exactly is the cold cream, witch hazel and pears soap routine, I obviously know that it is where you use each of these products on your skin, but could you please talk me through how you do it?

Antje

One Too Many
Yay, a miracle just hapened, I could finaly get some Ponds cold cream over here in Holland,
I will arive wednesday i think, I hope it is worth buying, but I wanted to use it for such a long time.

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
Melanie

I just wet my hands and lather up the pears soap, rub over my face-making sure to wash in the crease of my nose and chin- and then wash off with a terry washcloth soaked in lukewarm water (not too hot). I don't need witchhazel in the morning- but I use it at night after I have wiped off the cold cream with cotton pads. I just wipe over my face with a witchhazel soaked cotton wool pad- it's astringent and so helps to remove excess grease left by the cream.

You can find pure witchhazel (which is a flower-water, like rose-water) in the first aid isle, along with peroxide, vaseline, aqueous (parafiin)cream and other such stuff. I find that i never really bother going to the skincare isles anymore- if it's not in the first iad/ medical isle it's usually in the household/baking section.

I lean towards using basic things that cost less- I tend to look at the ingrediants in the skincare products and replicate them in the basic form. For example Simple toner (about £4.00) contains mostly witchhazel with a bit of camomile/allantoin (a form of uric acid- to help skin shedding)- I 'd rather go with the pure witch hazel at 99p

Hope that helps.

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
I learned a valuable lesson recently: if something is working well for you, DON'T CHANGE IT.

I had heard so much about Boots Original Formula Rose Cold Cream and was thrilled to find it at my local Target store. I bought some and upon opening it gave out a loud *squee* at the scent, lol. I love it.

The first two days of using it I thought it worked well, and again, there was that yummy old fashioned rose scent. Well....after that I started breaking out like crazy and I started developing nasty dry flaky patches that actually burned as if I had a sunburn. I was hoping it was due to something else, but I remembered some other ladies saying they'd had bad reactions to the Boots so sadly I determined that I too was reacting badly, probably to the rose oil.

I went back to my regular Pond's cold cream last night and this morning almost all of the dry burning patches have disappeared. *sigh* Not that I have anything against Pond's, but I did so love the idea of using the Boots! :(

Lesson learned. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
Gingarella

I don't think much of the Boots originals either- the vanishing cream left me like an oil slick by about 2pm- where as ponds vanishing cream keeps my skin velvety all day. Also I found out that I can't stand the scent of rose (or lavender or most other florals) so I'm gonna empty out the pots and give away the contents to my Mum to use up. I didn't like the Boots traditional range either.

I bought a new pot of Ponds today, in the new packaging and I noticed that it has gone from 75ml to 50ml for the same price- that's a third less product! I'll still keep buying it though.

Sincerely-Dee

One of the Regulars
My mother used Pears soap on me as a young child so i'm pretty used to it.
I've been using the Boots originals Cold Cream..it's running out now but sometimes when I use it it does make my skin tingle unpleasantly so I'm going to try Ponds.
Tishkaminx you mentioned that you buy 99p witch hazel. Where do you buy it from?

Scarlet Belle

Familiar Face
I just went searching for some cold cream (no success in ANY chemists or supermarkets)...and in the last store I asked the shop assistant, only to receive a stern lecture on how I shouldnt be putting that stuff on my skin, its full of petrochemicals and very toxic.

Ok. I slunk out of the store with my head down! :eek:

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
I got my Witchhazel form Boots in the First Aid isle- the type used for cuts and grazes. The stuff in the beauty isle has all sorts of extra stuff in it and costs more. Fleur has also mentioned getting hers for 99p in Sainsburys.

Sincerely-Dee

One of the Regulars
Tishkaminx said:
I got my Witchhazel form Boots in the First Aid isle- the type used for cuts and grazes. The stuff in the beauty isle has all sorts of extra stuff in it and costs more. Fleur has also mentioned getting hers for 99p in Sainsburys.

Oh right thanks!
I did get some witchhazel from Boots but it wasn't 99p!
I'll have a look in Sainsburys.

Antje

One Too Many
Scarlet Belle said:
I just went searching for some cold cream (no success in ANY chemists or supermarkets)...and in the last store I asked the shop assistant, only to receive a stern lecture on how I shouldnt be putting that stuff on my skin, its full of petrochemicals and very toxic.

Ok. I slunk out of the store with my head down! :eek:

Hey something like that also happened to me, the lady in the drugstore just looked at me as I was asking for something very weird.
I was also dissapointed, but I found my stuff on the good old internet

Veronica

New in Town
Gingerella72 said:
I learned a valuable lesson recently: if something is working well for you, DON'T CHANGE IT.

So true !

I have been using Yon-Ka cold cream since decades, I tried to change many times (in order to do something different from my Yon-Ka-addict mother actually) but it never worked... So I am back to that brand and might never leave it.

The second lesson for me it : " Mum is always right about skin care, always..."

I prefer Calendula distiled water to remove make up : Soothes my reactive skin...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails