Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cold Cream- Brands and advice!

Scarlet Belle

Familiar Face
Antje said:
Hey something like that also happened to me, the lady in the drugstore just looked at me as I was asking for something very weird.
I was also dissapointed, but I found my stuff on the good old internet

Yay for the net! It has opened up a whole wide world of previously missed shopping opportunities! lol

Miss sofia

One Too Many
melanie

In answer to your question a while back about oily skin, i have a very t-zone both my parents being italian and also suffer from psoriasis on my face and my scalp, so i get very dry patches too on my cheeks especially. My mum always bought Pears soap when we were children and i have always used it to wash my hands, but recently i have been using it to wash my face in the mornings, then exfoliating twice weekly with a gentle scrub, i use boots botanics. In the evenings i take my makeup off with ponds cold cream and then tone with witch hazel and i have to say that my skin has become less oily and my psoriasis has become a little better too. I would steer clear of any other toners other than witch hazel. I also use Bio-oil or sweet almond oil on my face at night, so i just need a dab of sunscreen in the morning, instead of having to use alot of moisturiser and having my make up slide down my face by mid morning! During the day i use Benefit Dr Feelgood to blot any excess shine, which i think is great for oily skin as it also makes my pores look smaller and doesn't take my foundation off too! Sorry to rattle on but my oily skin has been the bane of my life for years and i'm just glad i have been able to sort it out at last!

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
Scarlet Belle said:
I just went searching for some cold cream (no success in ANY chemists or supermarkets)...and in the last store I asked the shop assistant, only to receive a stern lecture on how I shouldnt be putting that stuff on my skin, its full of petrochemicals and very toxic.

Ok. I slunk out of the store with my head down! :eek:

Hi Scarlet- out of interest what did the lady in the drugstore suggest that was free from petrochemicals? As far as I can tell every brand of skincare I look at - cheap and expensive have pertrolinuem, mineral oil or paffarinium listed as one of the top two ingrediants!

Jessica Leigh

New in Town
Hiya ladies!!

I've lurked this forum for literally years -- since 2006? -- when you lovely beings first turned me onto cold cream.

But I came here to ask if the Boot's original formula rose cold cream is really discontinued? Because I was at my local store the other day to pick up their vanishing cream, which was out, and noticed about 6 jars on the shelf.

I'd be happy to pick them up and ship them to anybody. I guess I'll need to post more in order to receive PMs... ;)

Jasmine Jolene

One of the Regulars
i was using the Boots traditional cold cream which i still do use for make up removal, but for my oily skin i really can't beat Lush honey soap, pure aloe vera, which almost acts as a primer, then a little bit of EVOO with a couple of drops of tea tree oil in it. i will be buying some jojoba oil after next payday!

on a side note, i have huge huge pores and sadly lots of blackheads which despite lots of deep cleansing steams, clay masks and picking with picker-thingy i cannot get to go away. but....! i was told the other day in L'Occitane what lovely skin i have which made my day!

lframe

One of the Regulars
Jasmine Jolene said:
on a side note, i have huge huge pores and sadly lots of blackheads which despite lots of deep cleansing steams, clay masks and picking with picker-thingy i cannot get to go away. but....! i was told the other day in L'Occitane what lovely skin i have which made my day!

My best experience for removing blackheads? Oil. I know, but blackheads are oil and keratin that has oxidized and turned black. Oil dissolves oil. I thought they were crazy too and decided to try it while I was on vacation. It works. I am a convert and my ultra oily skin? Not overproducing oil and is actually normalizing some.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Scarlet Belle said:
I just went searching for some cold cream (no success in ANY chemists or supermarkets)...and in the last store I asked the shop assistant, only to receive a stern lecture on how I shouldnt be putting that stuff on my skin, its full of petrochemicals and very toxic.

Ok. I slunk out of the store with my head down! :eek:

You can use the mineral oil and petrochemical free recipe that I posted on page 1 of this thread. If you can follow a recipe you can make this easily. You will need to make a few substitutions since this is a vintage recipe that calls for whale products which are now banned everywhere.

Also, you could use Noxzema which doesn't have any mineral oil, I used to use that as a teenager. I am a mineral oil hater myself, and will only use the stuff if my skin is severely chapped or something. I am ok with vegetable based oils though, and I made up some of my recipe with grapeseed and jojoba oil and cetyl alcohol and it came out okay.

Jasmine Jolene

One of the Regulars
lframe said:
My best experience for removing blackheads? Oil. I know, but blackheads are oil and keratin that has oxidized and turned black. Oil dissolves oil. I thought they were crazy too and decided to try it while I was on vacation. It works. I am a convert and my ultra oily skin? Not overproducing oil and is actually normalizing some.

thanks lframe i will try that. i have always tried to keep the oil away from my nose and chin but i think i will experiment!

lframe

One of the Regulars
Please let me know how it works for you! We were at the coast and so my face was all over the place. But I have been home for 3 days and my makeup looks great and my face is holding it's own. Will keep you posted on mine as well!

lisa

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Tishkaminx said:
Hi Scarlet- out of interest what did the lady in the drugstore suggest that was free from petrochemicals? As far as I can tell every brand of skincare I look at - cheap and expensive have pertrolinuem, mineral oil or paffarinium listed as one of the top two ingrediants!

I started reading this thread last night and am interested but Scarlet I hear you the idea of using petrochemicals does put me off. I looked at some recipes on line today I think a lot of the products use the mineral oils to keep them from spoiling but the 1st cold cream was olive oil, beeswax, and some rose oil. I also found that many recommend keeping them in the refrigerator or even freezing them and taking out small portions at a time. I thought these all sounded like great ideas does anyone else have any experience with this? I have generally good skin with the occasional break out around that special time of month although will some acne on forehead in the summer and chin on occasion but I can also get really dry in the T zone as well. Mostly i just wash and mosturize right now and use witch hazel once a week.

I just wondering what other experiences other have had making their own?

this is the recipe I was interested (the second one not the first)http://www.eyebeautytips.com/beauty-tips/recipes/make-your-own-cold-cream/

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I've made cold cream a few times. My first batch started to go rancid after about 3 months at room temperature. You could probably make it last longer by substituting oils that have a longer shelf life. I found a list that says that jojoba oil, fractionated coconut oil and meadowfoam oil have indefinite shelf life. You could substitute part of your oil with one or more of these to make it last longer.

I also put some vitamin E in my last batch which being an antioxidant I hope will increase the shelf life. I also used borax this time. There are also paraben free preservatives you can buy and use if you are concerned about spoiling.

Mrs Cleaver

One of the Regulars
I found another good use for cold cream:)My son came home from school & said oh by the way i have to go in costume for school tomorrow(a book character)i racked my brains trying to think of something that i could do with what we had,which was very little.I ended up dressing him as a zombie from a goosebumps book.I didn't have any paint or food colouring etc so i broke open a red pen & blew the ink over his old clothes that i had ripped & torn & cut,then i smeared it to look like blood,i also smeared it around his throat & chin.Coty face powder also came in very handy to set off the baby bum cream & black eye liner i smeared on his face(the baby bum cream had zinc so made him look white lol)
Anyway my point is ,after his shower the ink remained even after much scrubbing so i rubbed the cold cream over him & voila! all gone in an instant:)

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Tishkaminx said:
Hi Scarlet- out of interest what did the lady in the drugstore suggest that was free from petrochemicals? As far as I can tell every brand of skincare I look at - cheap and expensive have pertrolinuem, mineral oil Tishaminx I did find a seller on etsy who makes a cold cream from the original greek recipe but am still thinking of making my own so I have not tried and it wasn't cheap looks like it would be about 20 dollars for 4 oz with shipping and that was shipping in the US not to the UK. Hmm. .. looks like i should suck it up and make my own.

Thanks a lot for the input Tourbillion.

I guess now I should look for some vintage cold cream jars for my creations.

Emer

One of the Regulars
>>BUMP!<<

I was watching this video on YouTube (searching for some vintage etiquette videos) and she mentions using a "stimulation cream" on her face. What is she talking about? Is that something we still have around these days? I don't think she's referring to moisturizer as she takes it off after just a few minutes.

(Hope this works)

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/w2-rthokWBE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/w2-rthokWBE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]​

(Here's the link in case it doesn't: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2-rthokWBE&feature=related)

MysteriousRed

New in Town
I have been using Jergens Cold Cream for.. a month now?

I must say that it's quite wonderful on my face by making it noticeably smooth, and refreshed looking. It always removes makeup better than any of the 'bottle o' oil' mixtures a lot of companies are aiming for nowadays.

I love the cute container with the baby pink lid and smooth white container. The smell if quite mute, refreshing and sweet smelling. :eusa_clap

Mae Croft

Familiar Face
Emer said:
I was watching this video on YouTube (searching for some vintage etiquette videos) and she mentions using a "stimulation cream" on her face. What is she talking about? Is that something we still have around these days? I don't think she's referring to moisturizer as she takes it off after just a few minutes.

(Hope this works)

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/w2-rthokWBE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/w2-rthokWBE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]​

(Here's the link in case it doesn't: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2-rthokWBE&feature=related)

Did she say it "doesn't grow fuzz"? I'm new to the whole vintage face creams thing, did cleansing cream used to mold or something? It would be scary if it made YOU grow fuzz! lol

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Emer said:

Fuzz would probably mean its gone off. I have been playing with making my own because I am not hot on the idea of using mineral oil that is used in all the commercial brands. The original Greek formula calls for olive oil. Thats what I used in the first batch and I understand it can go off after 3 months or so. Perhaps that is the fuzz she is talking about. I refrigerated half of my first batch to avoid this but I may just toss this batch as I am having trouble with separation.
I do have to say making it so far is surprisingly cheap and easy my only issue have been 1) separation, I talked with a soap maker who told my to mix it next time with a stick blender. 2) I have so far been unable to locate rose water without alcohol. If anyone knows a source please let me know I am contemplating making my own rosewater right now.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
No, fuzz means it stimulates hair growth. I heard about this in a Victorian beauty manual. It used to be that creams were made from animal fats, which contain hormones, which can stimulate hair growth...in unwanted places.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Tourbillion said:
No, fuzz means it stimulates hair growth. I heard about this in a Victorian beauty manual. It used to be that creams were made from animal fats, which contain hormones, which can stimulate hair growth...in unwanted places.

Ok all I can say is EW!!!! OK no animal fats in cold cream.

D

Deleted member 12480

Ladies!

I wasn't sure whether it has been previously mentioned, but there are 30 pages and I lost the will to love by page 5 or 6.

I was wondering, can you use cold cream to take off your eyeliner/mascara,

if so, how?

if not, what other vintage ways can you?

xxxxxx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails