Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cold Turkey

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
A 1971 flim about a tobacco company that offers an entire town $25 million if they'd give up smoking for one month. Starring Dick Van Dyke, Bob Newhart and an all star cast. Seen it on Showtime last month. Anyone remember this one?

Woanzenagi

New in Town
A personal favorite of mine. I thought the best scene was the in the doctor's office. He wanted a cigarette before surgery and everyone's trying to stop him. Good laughs if not exactly the best acting.

Directed by Norman Lear IICR. Saw this in the theatre when it CAME OUT. (God, I'm old.) Tom Poston, as the drunk, delivers the best line. To paraphrase"

"My smoking bone is connected to my drinking bone, and if you take away my drinking bone, my head is going to fall off."

Regards,

Senator Jack

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Hilarious bits for radio comics Bob and Ray in this one -- and also a late-in-life look at Edward Everett Horton as the tobacco magnate who offers the prize. I love Bob Newhart in just about anything he's ever done, so I really enjoyed this picture. I'd love to show it on a double bill with "Thank You For Not Smoking!"

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I live near Edward Everett Horton Lane in southern California. It seems the freeway needed to go through his little farm, and by way of compensation (besides the $$ of course) they named this tiny little street in Encino after him. It barely goes a block. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen