Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Collection of Beatiful Hats from the Newbie

JumpinHowie

New in Town
Hello all,
Im new to the messageboard and wanted to say Hi and show off my hat collection... so without further ado...
hats.jpg

JumpinHowie

New in Town
actually I was hoping you coul dhelp me out. I dont know much about them except what it says on the tags. I will post what each manufacturer is but thats about it. and what is an Indy??

Ah, an Indy is a hat that looks like the one worn by Harrison Ford in the Indiana Jones adventure movies. There is quite a following for them.
Go ahead and post the names of the hats. That will help in identifying what you have. I hope a Knox Premier is one of them. They are nice quality felt hats but there are others that are just as good and some even better. ;)
Names like Resistol, Knox, Dunlap, Stetson, Borsalino and a host of others were fairly good hats as long as you got the right vintage and style. In the long run though, it is just about what you like and what you will wear and enjoy. If you like the hat then it is the hat for you. Unfortunately, I like a lot of hats---21 and counting. :cool2:

Regards to all,

J

havershaw

Practically Family
yep, you've got some nice ones there!

Can't wait to hear a little more about them.

I too have the fever...I'm down to about forty, now.

That's still a ridiculous number, if you ask me.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Nice straw skimmers. Boaters have wider brims. I see one is missing it's ribbon. If you would like to know where to get a nice ribbon for it just ask any of us here and we will help you find one.

Sounds like you are brand new to vintage clothing and head wear. So, if you ever have any questions, just ask and some one here will help you out!

Regards.

Root.

The Dead End Kids did some funny stuff. Thought you all would enjoy this funny photo.

JumpinHowie

New in Town
I just wear them when I go out dancing. Other than that they usually stay home. I have been looking for about 2 years for a nice DB suit but havent found one yet. I will post the manufacturers early next week. My girlfriend is flying in this weekend. Thanks for your help, and I hope I will get to meet some of you if there is ever an event up in the Bay.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Dead End kids

The pic of the "Dead End Kids" posted above is from the movie "Angerls with Dirty Faces" starring Pat O'Brien and James Cagney. Remember, Father was wanting the boys to to go straight, and not be influenced by "Rocky" , Father Jerry's old boyhood pal turned crook.

This photo of the boys, although an obvious publicity or studio shot, wha the costumes they wore when they all cut practice and went down to the pool hall after "Rocky" pays them ill gotten cash.

Pat O'Brien comes down and tries to get the boys out, but they won't listen. Good scene where an adult (actor) heckles Father Jerry when the boys reject him.. Father Jerry slugs the guy knocking him to the floor. Way to go Father Jerry!:p

Ok, now I am confused. I grew up watching the Bowery Boys on Saturdays. For some reason the guy at the back, in the middle, looks like Satch from the Bowery Boys. I don't recognize the others though. So there were two groups of actors during that time doing more or less the same antics? :confused:
I guess I was born too late to get the full grasp of these two. ;)

Regards to all,

J

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
It's funny, when I was a kid, I didn't like the Bowery Boys and did not know their history. But, some years ago, I watched Dead End, which I believe was the first movie they were in. Bogart and Joel McCrae were in that one, Bogie playing Baby Face Martin. It was a film I liked and found haunting.

I liked Angels, too, especially the end when Rocky has to go to the chair and he is tough and macho, but the priest wants him to pretend to be scared out of wits to influence the boys away from a life of crime, and.... oh, rent it some time.

By the time I was a little kid, the Dead End Kids were the Bowery Boys and were in a series of B movies. I did not like them any more than I did the Three Stooges. Not at all.

Lots of fedoras in those old movies and who wore them better than Cagney and Bogart?

karol

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Well, bummer, at least I think you can open them and look at them. I had them on my bitmap so I could reduce the photos.

Will also attach some photos of other hats.

This is the custom-made hat. I am wearing it at work as I write this (instead of working).

Next, I will try the Borsalino, then the Akubra, then my cowboy Gus, which is hardly a fedora but is a beloved hat.

karol

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Let's see if I can try the Borsalino hat. This is the hat I found in an antique mall. It needs a workover, but it was only $30. Note the rain strap (I forget what you call it) little button is loose and was out on the hat when this photo was taken. And the brim ribbon needs replacing. That will be done at a later time. This hat I am keeping forever...

karol

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
bmp's won't show up in the forum, but we can click on them and see them. You'll have to save them as a .jpg or a .gif for them to show up the regular way.

Good looking hats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou