Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Collections

Etienne

A-List Customer
I am interested in knowing what vintage things you collect! I seem to collect a LOT of things--teacups/saucers, teapots, old silver, silver baby spoons, 40's and 50's children's things, 40's novels, Dick and Jane books, old cabin furnishings, vintage postcards, hats, 40's dishes, cut-glass from the 20's to the 50's and more!

Irena

One of the Regulars
I will collect anything as long as it meets one or both of my requirements: I have to be able to imagine its stories (example:I can see someone reading this book, enjoying certain phrases, just as I would), and it must be useful to me (sewing or needlework patterns, dishes). They don't have to be in great shape, it actually means more to me when I can tell that my things have been used and been appreciated by others before me.

Using this system, I end up with many things that some people think I'm crazy for keeping. But whenever use any of them, I know that it's worth having such a cluttered room.

I love everything vintage but I collect composition and hard plastic dolls from the 1930's-1950's.
Here is an all original compo I got for Christmas:
pinkgirl1.jpg

This is a Madame Alexander Cissy from the 1950's. I made her outfit.
cissy1.jpg

AtomicBlonde

One of the Regulars
Well... my mid 19th century obsession I've had for about 7 years now has had me collecting photographs for study... I have a very small collection of about 150 cdv's, ambrotypes, daguerrotypes, and tintypes. I also have a very small collection of 19th century mourning jewelry, a few original quilted bonnets c. 1830's-1850's, and various 19th century books (including an 1850's copy of meteorological reports from U.S military bases which was approved by the then secretary of war, Jefferson Davis. Got it for a buck!), a collection of Godeys Ladies magazines from the 1850's-60's and a few hair combs, and the odd piece of furniture here and there.

My vintage obsession is up and running with a few hats, a few compacts, some clothes, some knitting patterns and some glassware. I am afraid of how much stuff I am going to manage to pile up in this teensy apartment as vintage things are much more available and (often times) much less expensive than the other stuff I had been collecting. Ebay is the devil.

-Jess

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
For function- Vintage patterns, fabric, and notions (if you use all vintage materials does that make it vintage?). Old Records (45's and 78's with cheesy 50's covers). Old books.

For study- Old magazines, especially Mccall's (30's) and Vogue (30's-50's) when I can afford them, old yearbooks, photos and photo albums, scrapbooks. Original vintage from the 19th century through the early 60's. Old books on "how to" (like etiquette, hair, dress, clothing history and costruction)

For wear- Vintage hats, purses, shoes and screwback earrings. And clothing if it's fit to be worn.

For home- Silhouettes, Reverse painted picture frames, suitcases and unusual tins and cannisters for storage, vintage sheets and linens for use, vintage look-a-like halloween stuff, and vintage 50's Christmas decorations.

maisie

Practically Family
I'm not as interesting as all you other girls on here!! All I collect is vintage clothing! It is mostly from the 40's, but some pieces from the 30's and 50's. I particulary like the shoes and handbags from these era's!!:rolleyes:

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Just probably means you have better spending habits :)

I come from a long line of packrats masquarading as collectors lol

fuzzylizzie

One of the Regulars
I collect too much stuff!

My main interest is vintage clothing, and especially sportswear and travel clothing. I collect mainly from 1920 - 1976. If I find a wonderful vintage dress, then I *have* to have matching shoes, hat, bag, undies...

I also collect vintage fashion and travel magazines and books, and vintage travel brochures, maps, etc, from my favorite places. I love old hat boxes, especially those with a travel theme. And vintage sewing patterns, buttons, the works!

I have many vintage Scotty dog things - pins, planters, wooden items, old illustrations. It's an obsession! And I used to collect vintage Christmas and Halloween decorations before they got priced out of my range. I have a very nice collection of those that I bought at thrifts back in the 1980s!

Lizzie

decodoll

Practically Family
From Wikipedia:

Traditionally absinthe is poured into a glass over which a specially designed, slotted spoon is placed. A sugar cube is then deposited in the bowl of the spoon. Ice cold water is poured or dripped over the sugar until the drink is diluted 3:1 to 5:1. During this process, the components that are not soluble in water come out of solution and cloud the drink; that milky opalescence is called the louche (Fr. "opaque" or "shady" pronounced "loosh"). [4]

With increased popularity the absinthe fountain came into use. A large jar of ice-water on a base with spigots. It allowed a number of drinks to be prepared at once and with a hands free drip, patrons were able to socialize while louching a glass.

Although many bars served absinthe in standard glasses there are a number of glasses specifically made for absinthe. Having a dose line, bulge or bubble in the lower portion of the glass marking how much absinthe should be poured into it (often around 1 oz).

decodoll said:
From Wikipedia:

...With increased popularity the absinthe fountain came into use. A large jar of ice-water on a base with spigots. It allowed a number of drinks to be prepared at once and with a hands free drip, patrons were able to socialize while louching a glass.

That's right! These ice-water fountains for absinthe are very expensive antiques. They're over 100 years old. Here is one:

Absinthe-Terminus-18KB.jpg

And here are two working replicas. These were made by a friend of ours this year.

2006_Fountain-271x354.jpg

MoxieGrl

Familiar Face
I collect a little bit of everything but nothing majorly impressive. Basically, if I find something, and its cheap enough, I buy it. So I have vintage clothing from the 1860s-1940s, vintage shoes, hats, undergarments, dresses, jewlery, etc. etc. etc. So much that I don't even know what I have... sigh. I also collect old books, some Godey's and Peterson's too! Fashion plates, a box full of pictures, records, treadle sewing machines (if two counts as a collection) ummmm.... old magazines, stereoview slides, and random 30s home decor. For awhile I was collecting old bike frames but I never got around to restoring a single one.Suprisingly, my home isn't as cluttered as it would sound...
Hmm, is there a support group for people obsessed with collecting all things vintage? Reading this I feel like I might have a problem...
-Stormi

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I wouldn't exactly call it a problem..just a pack rat mentality...funny cause you remind me of my husband who's also a pack rat and I'm the type who throws stuff away...I've come to learn it's just people's little treasures ;)

MoxieGrl

Familiar Face
Exactly! They are my treasures.:) I just love to marvel at the thought of who their original owners were. At least I can throw away modern stuff, after all, marveling at the thought of myself isn't much fun. ;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic