Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Color Footage of the Blitz

W4ASZ

Practically Family
It was a strange thing to view.

I greatly admire Churchill, and I found Professor Rufus Fears' set of lectures on Sir Winston which is available from The Teaching Company to be essential stuff. You WWII scholars might want to investigate it.

filfoster

One Too Many
Living Color

Ruptured Duck™ said:
I still find it strange to watch color WW2 footage. It almost seems surreal considering I've seen only B&W most of my life....

Thanks for the link...

I agree, although most of the footage I've seen has a 'washed out' quality to it, it does make the past more immediate.
Not to detour too far:
On the blitz, I have had the pleasure of visiting with a woman who endured these. What a great opportunity! She's still living in/on Guernsey-she had served in London during the war.

Ever see "1940's House"? It also makes this era become a little more 'real'.

I got to watch most of the 1940's House on one of the PBS stations here in LA. I guess in England the did a couple of these with another being an 1890's house or there abouts, also.

1940's house was interesting I recall there were some difficulties that the family had a hard time dealing with such as the backyard bombshelter and the cooking on the old stove with wartime rations.

filfoster

One Too Many
1940's house

John in Covina said:
I got to watch most of the 1940's House on one of the PBS stations here in LA. I guess in England the did a couple of these with another being an 1890's house or there abouts, also.

1940's house was interesting I recall there were some difficulties that the family had a hard time dealing with such as the backyard bombshelter and the cooking on the old stove with wartime rations.

Yes, there is Manor House (Edwardian- early 1900's: a very interesting split between 'upstairs' and 'downstairs') and '1900 House'. It was an eye opener to see how much work was required just for daily living, cooking, laundry, heating, etc., let alone the 'Gerries' dropping bombs, doodlebugs and rockets on them!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot