Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Colour vs heat

Are dark hats hotter than light coloured hats?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
On a hot sunny days do you find dark colours hotter than light? Years ago I found my black Akubra Down Under a little to unbearable when plant shopping and haven’t worn it in summer since. But find my Sandtone fawn Akubra Snowy River just fine. Thought? Opinions? Am I out to lunch? Agree?
Johnny

mark balen

Familiar Face
In my experience the lighter the color, the cooler the hat. When worn outside in the sun, light color reflects much sunlight. Dark colors do not reflect nearly as much light and the absorbed sunlight heats up the hat. A black hat will be much hotter in summer sun than a white hat.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi
Being an engineer and all, Dark Colors absorb light energy, while lighter colors reflect reflect most light energy. I commonly wear light tan hats in the summer to balance the concept of reflecting heat and not showing sweat stains like white would do.

Later

Yep......when wearing a black hat on a sunny day..........
tenor (3).gif

Who?

Practically Family
It is indeed interesting, although I strongly suspect that there is very little convection inside a felt hat which is “sealed” to the wearer’s head by a leather sweat band. That doesn’t make for a very good chimney.

Interesting nonetheless, and thanks for posting it.

It is indeed interesting, although I strongly suspect that there is very little convection inside a felt hat which is “sealed” to the wearer’s head by a leather sweat band. That doesn’t make for a very good chimney.

Interesting nonetheless, and thanks for posting it.

I have several hats that allow for air to circulate. I like all my “Straw” hats to allow for lots of circulation, and vented felt hats also have a place in my rotation. I agree that most felt hats don’t allow for much air flow.

Edward

Bartender
There are four big grommets in my Territory for ventilation, but I don’t spend as much time outside since I got old and feeble, so I won’t really be able to evaluate them on walks like I used to take.

My Akubra Riverina is vented. Picked it up about fifteen years go when there was a vogue round here for 'safari-ising' that particular model. I narrowed the pinch and wound my own pugaree on it. The venting (three holes each side, though smaller than the ones in the Territory) definitely made it much more wearable in the heat. Not as light as a Straw, but an excellent travel hat for all-round weather. Mine has been worn in tropical heat in India and China, as well as in Hong Kong in 2008 during the worst rain on record there in over a century.

A vented felt is also a nice alternative to straw - I get bored of Straw sometimes in Summer. I actually have my eye on a Territory, though with having the Riverina in Khaki already, I'd probably be trying to hunt one down in a different colour than those readily available. Carbon Grey would be great.

Who?

Practically Family
It would be interesting if someone were to measure the diameter of the grommets in the Riverina and the Territory, and then we could compare the areas.

ETA: I just measured the vents in my Territory by using a drill set as hole gauges. The largest drill which the grommets would admit was 15/64” so they are probably 6 mm. (1/4” was too big)

Someone else can do the Riverina since I don’t have one, and have no access to one.

Last edited:

dkstott

Practically Family
I own a straw hat, but it's rarely worn. For some strange reason, I get a headache from the white reflection from the underside of the brim.

My fur felt hats get worn year round and never noticed any benefit from ventilation holes.

But then again, I've been known to wear a wool newsboy cap on hot & humid days.

Edward

Bartender
It would be interesting if someone were to measure the diameter of the grommets in the Riverina and the Territory, and then we could compare the areas.

That would be interesting. I've never had a chance to handle a Territory, though they definitely look much bigger (perhaps why there are only two rather than the three on all other vented Akubras?). They don't look as big as you'd see on the likes of a Tilley, but definitely measurements would be interesting to have.

I own a straw hat, but it's rarely worn. For some strange reason, I get a headache from the white reflection from the underside of the brim.

My fur felt hats get worn year round and never noticed any benefit from ventilation holes.

But then again, I've been known to wear a wool newsboy cap on hot & humid days.

I think a lot depends on individual heat tolerances. I definitely notice a difference with the venting, but I also struggle with heat possibly more than average (at least down here in London, my genetics are all from much further north). I also shave my head (though I'm shaving a lot less off the top of it now than when I started doing this sixteen years ago). With no hair to catch or soak up sweat, I think I radiate a lot more heat straight out of my head which the vents allow to escape; I've made the mistake of wearing unvented felt when I should not have in warmer weather, and after ten minutes on the tube, sweat was pouring down my face.

I have seen straws that are designed specifically for cricket umpires; these have a green, felt underside on the brim, which I believe is designed to prevent glare (clear vision obviously being important in that role). Might be worth a look if that's all that's stopping you wearing straw.

I have seen straws that are designed specifically for cricket umpires; these have a green, felt underside on the brim, which I believe is designed to prevent glare (clear vision obviously being important in that role).
Interesting you say that....the US Army and Navy (Marines too) also have green underside (sometimes a light grey for the Navy, and I have seen Navy helmets that are all green or grey) on their Tropical helmets from the 20's through the 50's and I do see modern ones made the same.
1658331143164.png

dkstott

Practically Family
That would be interesting. I've never had a chance to handle a Territory, though they definitely look much bigger (perhaps why there are only two rather than the three on all other vented Akubras?). They don't look as big as you'd see on the likes of a Tilley, but definitely measurements would be interesting to have.

I think a lot depends on individual heat tolerances. I definitely notice a difference with the venting, but I also struggle with heat possibly more than average (at least down here in London, my genetics are all from much further north). I also shave my head (though I'm shaving a lot less off the top of it now than when I started doing this sixteen years ago). With no hair to catch or soak up sweat, I think I radiate a lot more heat straight out of my head which the vents allow to escape; I've made the mistake of wearing unvented felt when I should not have in warmer weather, and after ten minutes on the tube, sweat was pouring down my face.

I have seen straws that are designed specifically for cricket umpires; these have a green, felt underside on the brim, which I believe is designed to prevent glare (clear vision obviously being important in that role). Might be worth a look if that's all that's stopping you wearing straw.
I'm sure that hair or the lack of it probably comes in to play with heat and hats.

My genetics are rooted in the Yorkshire England area. Stainland to be precise. But that was a long time ago...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy