Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

concentration/staying on track

sixsexsix

Practically Family
I was wondering what you all do when you have something important to be done but you simply cannot concentrate. I have a research paper and an exam to get through over the next month, and cannot for the life of me convince myself to start working and studying. I look outside and see the beautiful weather and see all the other university students finishing up their exams, and it makes me not want to stay inside and hunker down with a bunch of books.

Help please!!!

alexandra

Practically Family
Kay this is going to sound really lame but it actually works wonders. It's something I learned as a strategy in rehab because I have an ABI (Acquired Brain Injury).

Basically, one of the main reasons people find it hard to concentrate is because they see a huge task in front of them and their brain switches off because of an overload they don't want to deal with.

What you have to do is break it up into the smallest possible segments. It's best to write it down because it frees up space in your brain, and also it holds you accountable because when you see something like "Read one chapter" and don't do it, you feel like an idiot because it's so simple. Also when you DO do it, you can check it off and feel happy that you accomplished something.

The worst part is breaking it down into such simple terms. It makes you feel like an idiot because you think "this is nothing" but it's the best way to get it all done if you're having trouble with it.

You can think of it like a loaf of bread. If someone put a loaf of bread in front of you and told you to eat it, you'd be like "What the hell?" but in your life you've probably eaten quite a number of loaves of bread because when you're making a sandwich you don't think "Here goes one bit of the loaf" you just concentrate on making a sandwich.

It's a pretty obvious answer, but if you actually do it, it will work.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
  • Set a realistic time limit for your studying, at which point you'll be finished.
  • Schedule something fun for when you're finished.
  • Hang around other students who are making themselves study.
  • Remember what Emerson said about shirking you work: it's a deliverance that doesn't give you any peace. You can only be satisfied with your work when you've put your heart into it.

Joan

New in Town
Work Avoidance

First, as Alexandra suggests, break down the work into its component parts.

Then assign yourself another task. Example: If you don't read this stack of articles, you have to vacuum the living room. I'd much rather do the reading, and doing the reading lets me avoid vacuuming the living room. The trick is to come up with an alternative task that you really should do but that you really dislike.

Works for me. :D

Ben

One of the Regulars
Goals and Steps

The other posters have great advice, and I'll add on. Sometimes if you hear the same things in different wells, it helps.

So, set small goals and have the steps to accomplish them.

You know you have to do the paper. So, you create the goals and the steps to do it.

For example, getting the bibliography compiled can help you gather all your sources, which can help you when you start the writing. The pieces do all start to fit together.

For the paper, don't stare at a blank page for very long. Once you have an idea of what you want to say, start writing. Then you can revise later.

Remember, as a professor of mine once told me, it doesn't have to be perfect, but it does have to be done. What I learned later was that getting done early left more time for perfecting things.

Also, this may not be completely at your control, but with any luck you have been able to pick classes and paper topics that you like. So, try to think of it as something fun to do.

Give yourself small breaks when you need them. Don't wander too far, but you do need to rest your brain on occasion.

Set aside some time each day for doing what you need to do. Having some structure will help you get it done.

Finally, re-read Alexandra's post when you feel flummoxed.

Good luck!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Remember that self discipline, like any other skill, gets easier with practice.

As a few others have said, it really helps to have structured time. Thinking, "I have a month to get this done" probably won't light a fire under you. But thinking, "I've got six hours' work to do today" (or whatever amount, leaving some hiccup room) probably will.

As Ben mentioned, taking time to organize your work is time well spent.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Might it be ADD?

I have that.. and all my life I have been unable to buckle down. I am now in specialized therapy and taking medication, and it is making a gigantic difference. I wish I had done it years ago!!!
So it wouldn't hurt to do a bit of research and get tested.
Or - it might just be Spring fever!

SpitfireXIV

One of the Regulars
alexandra said:
Basically, one of the main reasons people find it hard to concentrate is because they see a huge task in front of them and their brain switches off because of an overload they don't want to deal with.
that's spot on. also, once you roll up your sleeves and start to work on it, you may be surprised to know it's not as intimidating as you first imagined.

or, look at it this way: the sooner you get that done, the sooner you can go outside & play :)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Just keep reminding yourself that the deadline is going to arrive, regardless of what you do. It won't go away, it won't be postponed, it's coming and there's nothing you can do to stop it. Whether or not you're ready for it, though, is entirely up to you. Inevitability can be a tremendous incentive.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Geez. Too serious. Dump the hard stuff and go have fun.

You'll thank me for it.

Then when you're 45 and frying burgers at Wendy's you'll curse me for it.

But I'll already be dead.

pgoat

One Too Many
Lordy. I have to lie to myself and imagine the due date as a month earlier than it is. Then I have a slim chance of getting it done on time.

Pro-Cras-Ti-Na-tion

Idledame

Practically Family
It sometimes helps me if I focus on how will I feel if I goof off (miserable, like a failure, in a panic, berating myself, etc.). And how will I feel if I just do the darned thing (happy, like a load is off my shoulders, I deserve a treat, I'm being mature and responsible). You really can't go out and enjoy yourself if it's hanging over you. You will just feel worse than you do now. Of course, I couldn't do any of this when I was in my 20s. I guess I have learned some things since then. Break it down into small bits and use lots of rewards. Like after this chapter I will have ice cream, and when I write that paper I can go on FL for 1/2 hour. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails