Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Considering this hat

Carillon

New in Town
Hi All,

I am still new to this great forum, so I am not sure if this is the proper place to post this. I am considering buying this hat. It is in my size and price range. It is made from 100% wool. Is this a hat worth buying?

Thanks
c0ec_1.jpg

edit: hmm, I can't get the image to appear. Strange

I wouldn't buy it, Carillon. Wool just plain doesn't make a good hat felt, at least not for hats that will take the weather and remain presentable for a good long while. Yeah, wool hats are considerably less costly than fur ones, but this is one of those cases where you really do get what you pay for.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Hi Carillon. Do you play the bells?

Wool felts aren't good dress hats. They feel stiff and scratchy and they don't hold their shape or repel water well. Some wools (such as Lite Felt) are serviceable as sporty or outdoor hats, but in the style shown they're generally just meant for costume wear.

Carillon

New in Town
Oh, ok, thanks, I didn't know that.

And no, I don't play bells, I do happen to like hearing them though, and being near Rockefeller Chapel on the south side of Chicago I hear them a lot. :)

Topper

Vendor
Carillon,

To answer you question - What do you want it for?

As to wool - it is entirely probably more hats have been made in wool in History than any other felt. So don't discount it straight away. You mention in budget which suggests you have set criteria.

As Tony mentioned "you really do get what you pay for." which is true. So profide that hat you are looking at is resonable price then one can say nothing good or bad against it.

As far as Top Hat goes it appers at the lower end of the fashion and quality material scale compared with other ones around . But without knowning more of what you want ( e.g. what function using it for, budget, how often you wish to wear it) then cannot be hasty in Judgement.

Carillon said:
It is in my size and price range. It is made from 100% wool. Is this a hat worth buying?

Carillon

New in Town
I was thinking about a top hat for the rarer occasions when I feel that my black fedora will not suit. (Such as my all too rare excursions to the Opera) I have a suit that I wear that is about the same color too. I do not really know much about top hats, so I was not really aware as to its qualities on any scale, but from what I gather it is not very high. So I was basically looking for a cheaper hat for rare use, but I am beginning to change my mind about this particular hat, though I have not yet given up on my quest for an affordable (to me) top hat.

Topper

Vendor
Firstly congrats on trying to keep opera special!

As a purest Opera would mean White Tie tails and a Rigid Silk Plush or Silk( or modern Satin) collapsible Opera hat. This would set you back from around $250 upwards to many thousands.

Alternatively a Melusine Fur felt is a good mid way and is around $200-400

Otherwise wool is available - though would recommed looking for one in a price range from $50-100 minimum for good quality. There are lots around as get what you pay for, That being said it it is all you can find then go for it!!

Note: Toppers should only be worn with "Tail" coats, otherwise it just doesn't look balanced attire. You only mention you wear a "Suit" which brings me to hesitate as to what type. If it is not a tailcoat, merely a dark suit or black dinner jacket ( tux) then Top Hat is not advisible - suggest you look a wearing a "homburg" style felt hat .... or buy a nice white-tie ensemble as well as a topper :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff