Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Constant 95F temps and outdoors - which fedora?

blatman23

New in Town
So this will be my first hat, I need something that will be able to protect me daily working outside at 95F from 6AM to 5PM while maintaining some sort of style. (The middle east is a nightmare in the summer)

I will browse around the brands myself, but regarding materials for such sweaty temp....

I came across wicker/straw type ones with all kinds of "Drifit fast dry" type fabrics or the cotton classic ones.

These are my top priorities:

1. Able to be hand washed from all the sweat once a week
2. Able to breath well enough - Again, it's super super hot, and I won't be using it for any indoor activities at all - outdoor use only
3. maintain reasonable style, so that I don't turn into "mr. functionality" only

Thanks for any tip between straw and cotton! sorry if those are noob questions, but that's why i'm here

Thanks for any tip!

So this will be my first hat, I need something that will be able to protect me daily working outside at 95F from 6AM to 5PM while maintaining some sort of style. (The middle east is a nightmare in the summer)

I will browse around the brands myself, but regarding materials for such sweaty temp....

I came across wicker/straw type ones with all kinds of "Drifit fast dry" type fabrics or the cotton classic ones.

These are my top priorities:

1. Able to be hand washed from all the sweat once a week
2. Able to breath well enough - Again, it's super super hot, and I won't be using it for any indoor activities at all - outdoor use only
3. maintain reasonable style, so that I don't turn into "mr. functionality" only

Thanks for any tip between straw and cotton! sorry if those are noob questions, but that's why i'm here

Thanks for any tip!

If not for the washable requirement, I’d look at the hemp Akubra hats; you could probably hose them off, but I wouldn’t call them washable. The “straw” Stratton hats are also a great option. Their uniform hats are intended for years of hard use by law enforcement and others and they hold up well. The more I think of it the more I think the Stratton would be my choice…I’d be tempted to add more ventilation though.

blatman23

New in Town
Right, the straw strattons look good at about 150 from what I can tell! You think I can submerge them in detergent once a week?

I dig the chinese hat if all else fails :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner