Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

converting a leather jacket to a winter jacket

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Schitzo, consider moleskin for the sleeve lining, I have an Eastman with it (actually lined through out in it) and it is surprisingly warm.. A bit tricky pulling it on and off as you need to hold on to your shirt sleeves.. but not a deal breaker

Last edited:
I see a lot of older ones with zip out linings, a sheathing liner would be great if you could zip it out in warmer weather...

Rockin' Dog

New in Town
Schitzo...
As a fellow Londoner and Aero aficionado....I inclined to think a shearling lining might be a bit too warm & snug for most winter days down here....apart from today!:D
Throughout winter my daily jacket is the Aero long Half-Belt with medium tartan lining....I also have detachable mouton collars for it when I need it and that mouton around my neck adds considerable extra warmth.

As suggested previously, a heavy tartan lining may do the business for you ...or an Alpacha pile?? .....I have no experience of Aero's alpacha offering though I have recently tried on an Eastman B-15 which has the pile lining....fantastic feel and so warm and comfortable....If I had a spare £500 in my wallet that day I'd have sealed the deal on impulse! :D
Otherwise, I reckon extra (wool) layers underneath gives you more options.

'Later!
-RD

simonc

Practically Family
I have never walked around London on a cold day and thought "gee I'm just too damn warm today" ever. I'd love to feel like that which is why I going for the shearling, yes we all have jumpers, etc. But you only live once. I will post pics when its done and keep you updated on the process with Aero. No guts no glory.

schitzo

Suspended
I have never walked around London on a cold day and thought "gee I'm just too damn warm today" ever. I'd love to feel like that which is why I going for the shearling, yes we all have jumpers, etc. But you only live once. I will post pics when its done and keep you updated on the process with Aero. No guts no glory.

I'm feeling that. I mean, how great would it be to be out on a cold day with just your jacket on over a shirt and still be comfortable?

To clarify for the benefit of others - this is not an exercise in getting a versatile jacket. Of course another type of lining would be more versatile. But jacket whores like simonc and me have got our bases covered. We're set ffair for the rest of the year

What we're now talking about is the luxury of owning one that's just for those really cold days you get in winter. I think the 1/2 shearling aero offers for that highwayman should be alright. I assume your hercules already has storm cuffs - so perhaps all you'll need to do with the sleeves is have them changed to cord, which I believe is warmer than say cotton or moleskin etc

simonc

Practically Family
Yeah right on Shitzo, elite f++k the cold coverage, the sleeves on my herc are drill and should be fine, yes they have storm cuffs, I did ponder weather to alpaca line them too and then redrill them but nah limbs don't really suffer do they its the torso that takes the big hit as it holds the vitals. I will redo the mutton collar as its tired and make it super fluffy anew. I'm going full 3/4 shearling. Yo northern winds come at me bro.

schitzo

Suspended
anyone here know roughly how much it would cost to have my halfbelt relined with shearling, and also for storm cuffs and a cord lining to be added to the sleeves?

I don't expect precision, but a ball park figure here would help me to make a decision on the future of this jacket.

Thanks
Schitz

Cooperson

One Too Many
Never had it done, but I bet it's not cheap. Biggest problem would be, where would you get it done? Can't see Aero taking it on at the moment, are'nt they still swamped?

Edward

Bartender
Brr. Back in the Irvin in London today... cold as any Winter day. Shearling HWM with black mouton appeals all the more...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo