Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cotton flannel vs. quilted rayon

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16736

So I'm designing a 50's brown horsehide bomber and I have the choice of a cotton flannel or a quilted rayon. Which will keep me warmer? I know the flannel will feel nice, but it's not as authentic and I wonder about the warmth. I need this as a three-season jacket. Thanks for the advice.

cuthbert

One of the Regulars
I would suggest some tartan plaid but I understand it's more suited to motorcyle jackets.

D

Deleted member 16736

I would suggest some tartan plaid but I understand it's more suited to motorcyle jackets.

The flannel is plaid. The sleeves would be harder to slide into with flannel too. I'm leaning to the quilted rayon, but I wanted to get advice from the board.

cuthbert

One of the Regulars
The flannel is plaid. The sleeves would be harder to slide into with flannel too. I'm leaning to the quilted rayon, but I wanted to get advice from the board.

Yes I know but as far as I remember flannel is cotton plaid and tartan is wool. For the sleeves, if you choose any kind of plaid you have to use some kind of silk material for the sleeves, all the plaid jackets I have don't have flannel or tartan in the sleeves...not that you can use quilted rayon for sleeves too!

D

Deleted member 16736

Yes I know but as far as I remember flannel is cotton plaid and tartan is wool. For the sleeves, if you choose any kind of plaid you have to use some kind of silk material for the sleeves, all the plaid jackets I have don't have flannel or tartan in the sleeves...not that you can use quilted rayon for sleeves too!

I wasn't aware that tartan was wool. Shows you what I know.

normanf

One of the Regulars
I wasn't aware that tartan was wool. Shows you what I know.

Line it with rayon and design the jacket so it can accept a zip in wool liner. That way you can have a practical four season jacket. Remove the wool liner when the weather warms up. You can get the best of all worlds!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24