Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coty Cosmetics!

Ccc

New in Town
:) Does anyone know the shade of red for this product? Is it bright? Is it an orange-red or towards the blue-red color?

Also, were the early Coty lipsticks heavy on the oils or wax? My mother used a red Coty lipstick during the early 1960's, but she can't remember what shade it was, just that it could also be used for rouge.:)

Thanks for the info!

Ccc

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Well, I used Coty lipstick up into the late '90s, and as I recall Magnet Red was on the bluish end of the scale, and Flame Red was on the orangey side. In the middle, for true reds, they had Light, Medium, and Dark.

Coty had a very solid consistency compared to other drugstore brands -- it definitely had a more wax-crayony feel in the stick than it did an oily feel. And once on, it lasted forever -- you had to use mineral oil to get it off at night.

I miss it -- it was great stuff. Even the holders were old-fashioned brass.

dollfaced

Familiar Face
I remember when i was little i loved to look at them in the drug store the pretty gold tube with white flowers the one that t loved was the tamatoe red they sure did have lasting power wish they would bring those back:eek: !

dollfaced

Familiar Face
Well at least we still have the air spun powder i was in a wall- mart and saw an elegant box of the naturelle the box looked like the old fashion original box and on the back it said A Beauty Legacy Since 1935 so i bought it of course even though it was a bit to light for me !!!

VintagePie

New in Town
Have No Fear! You Can Still Get Coty 24!

I am a fervent devotee of Coty 24! I was devastated when it was discontinued and even wrote to Coty telling them that they really missed the boat when it came to promoting and advertising Coty 24...perhaps this is why it did not continue to sell well for them. No other lipstick compares to Coty 24! The new long lasting formulations do not STAIN the lips, the way Coty 24 does. They leave a plastic-y coating on your lips which peels off and looks really unattractive.

I have begun buying Coty 24 for the first time in years through eBay. One seller offers many shades, including a number of reds. One shade that is particularly pretty is Medium. It is a rather dark, classic red. I have used many shades of Coty 24, including Magnet Red. NOTHING else is like Coty 24!

Lola Getz

One of the Regulars
Ooooh, thanks for the info, VintagePie! And welcome!
Come to think of it, does Coty advertise anything any more? I think you may be on to something--they should reissue some of their classic merchandise as a retro line or whatever.

Hat Chick

New in Town
Query Re: the scent of Coty Airspun Powder

Greetings And Salutations from a lurker!~

I'm painfully quiet here, I know... I've been looking at older threads mostly which means that questions get answered before I can get to them (assuming I have the answer in the first place).

Anyway, since I have heard from several of y'all that you enjoy the scent of Airspun facial powder, I hoped that someone might be able to clear up my question for me:
What is the name of the Coty perfume used?
I have found two names mentioned in various places, but I have no definite answer. L'Aimant seems popular but I have my doubts... I understand that even the foundation tinted facial powder used to come in several scents to match perfumed body powder, EDToilette, etc. (incl. L'Aimant) but I'm oddly in love with whatever "old lady" flavour is used recently. I know some don't care for the scent, even as far as to call it Old. But not all "old" ladies lack class! :)

I suspect that it isn't L'Aimant but now that I'm finally posting here my mind has gone blank where it used to have another perfume Name to choose from. L'Origan??

I hope this makes sense and if not feel free to disregard. I find that I babble a lot when I'm tired....
Thanks in advance and have a really nice day!!

~Juliana

To thine own self be true,
and it must follow,
as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Verified -- I used to use L'Origen when I was younger, and it's the same scent as the powder today.

Airspun used to come in your choice of L'Origen, L'Aimant, Emeraude, or Paris, but they've narrowed the line down considerably in recent decades.

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
That is so wonderful to know! I *love* the smell of coty airspun, but can't wear it because it gives my face a horrid rash. Maybe I'll get a sample of the perfume to wear on my wrists!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
It is L'Origan. It used to be available through vermontcountrystore.com, but they don't have it listed at the moment.

My mom had a bottle of it when I was a kid. She gave it to me because I loved it and she never used it. 20+ years later, it's still one of my favorites!

Hat Chick

New in Town
Well~

Before I saw the post re: AmeriMark I bid on the 'Bay for a bottle of old stock cologne. If curious I'll post the results when it arrives.

Thanks again, ladies!!

"... I tell you all my secrets but I lie about my past...."
-Tom Waits

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Hat Chick said:
Before I saw the post re: AmeriMark I bid on the 'Bay for a bottle of old stock cologne. If curious I'll post the results when it arrives.

Unfortunately, depending on how old it is, it may very well have gone bad by now.

Hat Chick

New in Town
Whew! I think I lucked out!!

Well~

The old stock is in a quaint bottle and smells just fine to me... whether it smells as it is supposed to is unknown to me, until I run out ages from now and replace the bottle. It's also available cheaply from www.fragrancenet.com (goofy name but good variety, just be sure to unsubscribe or you'll get e-mail on a near-daily basis.)

As far as scent, I like it. Starts out reminiscent of or a cross between 4711 and the airspun powder. As the citrus fades the airspun-scent becomes stronger.... I'll describe more if needed, but if you're reading this you already know what scent I'm trying to describe, no?

Again, my exuberant thanks to those here who've helped me with this dilemma. It has come to a happy end. Now my whole room currently smells like Airspun!!

<3 Juliana

"Do not allow children to mix drinks; it is unseemly and they use too much vermouth. "
-Steve Allen

Mary

Practically Family
I'm intrigued!:rolleyes: I want to try the coty airspun powder now. It's such a beauiful box.

When I look on the internet I only find one neutral colour. Is it fair enougth for me? I actually have and old case so I'd like to buy some original powder. it.

Hat Chick

New in Town
Mary said:
When I look on the internet I only find one neutral colour. Is it fair enougth for me?

I am very fair and there are two colours that are pale; "Rachel #1" is peachy pale in tone, for rosier complexions than mine, as I've learned... "Naturelle" is more neutral and yet suits my pale almost-but-not-quite olive complexion. One uses so little that if you see the colour you're using too much, so I've been told. There is also "translucent" that I think a lot of gals swear by... If you're a true pale neutral I recommend tracking down some Airspun Naturelle via the Internet. It's my best mattifying tool ever. I use a loose-powder compact that I got on the 'Bay to ensure I have a little bit for touching up, but I rarely resort to it!

Drat!

I'm being a huge chatterbox AGAIN. So what else is new? Please contradicte if I'm wrong or anything like that!

:)

"Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future". -O. Wilde

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner