Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Could anybody give me a tip as to which hat?

retrofashion

One of the Regulars
I'm looking for a high crown, short brim (but not stingy), wide ribbon/grosgrain felt fedora. I thought about Dobbs, but most Dobbs I see for sale are wool. Can anybody point me in the right direction as to what brand and models of fedoras to look for for at like that? A 2" brim or so. Thanks.

retrofashion

One of the Regulars
Thanks for all the input guys.

Yes, I have checked Hatsdirect but they don't really seem to have anything. The higher crown fedoras seem to be wide brimmed and the shorter brimmed seem to be low crowned.
My budget is $100.
I will have to check Miller hats but I remember their hats were pretty high in price. The Jaxon Bogart seems to be the wrong kind actually. It has a 2 3/8 brim and I was looking for something a little shorter than that. It also has a thinner grosgrain at 1 3/4. I was hoping at least 2" for the grosgrain. They have no info on the crown height but it doesn't look to be much higher than 5" if at all.
Any other ideas?

It doesn’t need to be a new hat, but I want a felt. If I know what models and brands to look for I can check the bay. But without knowing I have to go through every single fedora auction. Quite many of them.

Thanks!

EvilDmitri

New in Town
You can always cut down the brim of a hat if it has a raw edge, though i'm not sure if it would turn out well if the hat has a dimensional cut. I have been considering taking half an inch off my Federation, but I think i'd rather just leave it as an excuse to buy another hat! E-bay can have great deals on it if you're careful with what you buy; consider modifying an inexpensive high crown hat to your liking :)

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I like the selection of fur felt hats at Village Hat Shop, a goodly number of them are under $100, some on sale. I have a black Bogart from them, they also have one called Cagney, plus others. Made by Jaxon for VHS.

They are online, also have stores in Southern California, including San Diego where I used to live.

http://villagehatshop.com

I miss the place.

karol

retrofashion

One of the Regulars
Yohanes said:
Anything that might interest you here?

http://www.mikethehatter.com/ItemSearch.asp?StyleID=5&BrandID=

I think Stefano Frederick or Ralston, Bailey York, are quite interesting and still within your budget...

The Ralston has a way too wide brim at 2-1/2.
The York is a stingy, also wrong.
The Stefano has an ok sized brim at 2 1/8. I'm shooting for a 2 or 2 1/8 brim.
None of them have info on crown heights or band height. But none of the bands seem to be at least 2" and they look like lower crowns. AS I mentioned I'm after something with a band at least 2" and a high crown (at least 5 1/4 after bashed).
Thanks for taking the time to look and post the link. Appreciated.

retrofashion

One of the Regulars
K.D. Lightner said:
I like the selection of fur felt hats at Village Hat Shop, a goodly number of them are under $100, some on sale. I have a black Bogart from them, they also have one called Cagney, plus others. Made by Jaxon for VHS.

They are online, also have stores in Southern California, including San Diego where I used to live.

http://villagehatshop.com

I miss the place.

karol

Thanks. But I already went through the hats there and none of them are really right. The Cagney has a lower crown and a narrow grosgrain. Same goes for the Bogart. But thanks.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Most of the hats that are out on the market with a 2 inch brim will have a lower crown. This to make sure that the brim is proportionate with the crown.
At 100.00 you are limiting yourself to a wool hat or a wool/fur blend. The cost on rabbit fur felts have gone up so high that most of them start at over 100.00 . We offer a hat called the Pisa from Stetson. The hat looks like the Saxon that is pictured on our website, but the hat is made from a fur /wool blend. The hat is 90.00. We are updating our site next week and will be listing a lot of new hats for the fall. I doubt that a higher crown exists for a 2 inch brim hat.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

PeeWee

One of the Regulars
Retro...Did you happen to see the 257 open crown fedora, or the 351 teardrop at Miller Hats. Unless I'm mistaken these styles are still made by Biltmore for Miller, and are very nice hats. I have several.

retrofashion

One of the Regulars
besdor said:
At 100.00 you are limiting yourself to a wool hat or a wool/fur blend. The cost on rabbit fur felts have gone up so high that most of them start at over 100.00
That's not really true. Hatsdirect have several Akubra fur felt fedoras for way under $100, so does Miller and Village shop. ;)

retrofashion

One of the Regulars
PeeWee said:
Retro...Did you happen to see the 257 open crown fedora, or the 351 teardrop at Miller Hats. Unless I'm mistaken these styles are still made by Biltmore for Miller, and are very nice hats. I have several.

They are both low crown, wider brimmed and narrow grosgrain band hats. Quite the opposite of what I'm looking for.;)
But thanks for the tip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran