Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cover me, I'm goin' in!!

Frankie Lamb

One of the Regulars
Well I've finally worked up the nerve to ask for advice from the forum on where to learn to dance to some of the music we all like to hear. I don't aim to knock Fred Astair off of his perch or anything like that, just some sort of semi-coordinated kind of attempt on the dance floor that people won't mistake for an old man (me) having a seizure. And as if those limitations aren't enough, I don't want to have to sell the Rolls-Royce to pay for it. On the positive side though, I can chew gum and walk for short distances, and I have liability insurance should a potential dance partner,s toe get mangled by accident.
Hurry with the advice though before I chicken out....again!
Frankie Lamb

4and1

One of the Regulars
Start out taking some group classes. Many communities have a recreation center or parks dept. that offer them. Local dance studios will offer them, also. Check your phone book or Google 'dance class+your city'.

Independant studios and rec. dept. classes are usually fairly short term and don't require much commitment. Franchise studios generally sell package deals as a contract and IMO are not the best bet for a beginner that isn't sure what they want yet.

Don't be too picky about which dance you start out with. You will want to learn basics in many and (I've found) favorites are always changing.

Also, don't let one rough class discourage you. You can learn to dance, unless you quit. Get past the initial awkwardness and you will start to like it more and more.

I hope this helps. Good luck to you!

Drew B

One of the Regulars
DO IT!!! I agree with the above sentiment of just looking about for classes; I started doing something called Modern Jive (AKA Ceroc) a few years ago and never stopped. It's a great dance to start on as it is simple, quick to pick up and lots of fun. The basic principles of Modern Jive also helped me pick up Ballroom and Latin basics so it worked well for me.

From a brief search that i just did there are a few Modern Jive Classes in LA so check them out; it's worth it for sure!!!
Click here for my Google Search
Once you start you wont stop! I myself just got a pair of new shoes for dancing in - they're so neat!

Cheers,
Drew.

Frankie Lamb

One of the Regulars
"One two Cha,Cha,Cha. Three four, Whoops!"

Thank you one and all for the advice, and more importantly, the vote of confidence. Simon Cowel, prepare yourself !
Frankie L.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I'd love to learn just the basic dances of each decade, so that I could get up and cut a rug no matter what's playing -- 1920s music, '30s, '40s, you name it. The kind of dances that would have been appropriate in elegant nightclubs of the day, not the stuff of sock hops and battles of the bands (not that I don't enjoy watching the wilder stuff).

But so many of the dance classes seem to be all about swing dancing, which is great, but I just want to learn the basics, not be a jitterbugging fool. (Edit: That sounds judgmental, and I didn't mean it to. I don't mean "fool" in a negative sense -- just someone who loves to cut a crazy rug.)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
You should take a Latin or ballroom class to learn the steps and how to lead. You could also learn balboa to dance smoothly to fast music. If you want to be graceful, take a class in solo moves, like jazz or ballet.

Good swing dancers don't flail or bounce wildly. There's a gentle bounce; hands are still unless the couple is doing a move.

Idledame

Practically Family
Hi Dale, My parents (married 1934) did the foxtrot to everything. My dad always said you could just change the speed and the rhythm to match just about everything but the polka, or the cha cha, but the footwork stayed the same. That's why it was my dad's favorite...I think that and the polka were the only dance steps he knew! They considered it the most basic dance. But I've noticed that dancers, dance lessons never seem to mention the foxtrot anymore. Unless it's called something else now. There are lots of instructions and of course youtube videos showing it online. It's your basic "slow, slow, quick quick". It must have been from the late 20s, early 30s for my dad to know it. I know you don't want to take actual lessons, but they teach you more than just steps. They teach you dance ettiquette and tips to avoid problems, how to lead, as opposed to pushing or pulling your partner. It's more like a way of communicating, so even if you just took a few lessons, you might find it very helpful. And most people feel like uncoordinated nincompoops at first. But since everyone feels like that, it's not so bad really.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wrTpU6ld3k&feature=related
http://www.centralhome.com/ballroomcountry/foxtrot_steps.htm

4and1

One of the Regulars
Yes, the Foxtrot is very versatile and would be a good choice for the first dance learned. It can be danced to any music using a 4/4 time signature (most music), but is commonly used for songs that are slower than most Swing. The slows and quicks can be mixed any way you want, but it is necessary to learn fundamental lead/follow techniqes to make that work.

It is still called the Foxtrot and lesson are offerred at most, if not all, ballroom dance studios.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Idledame said:
I know you don't want to take actual lessons, but they teach you more than just steps. They teach you dance ettiquette and tips to avoid problems, how to lead, as opposed to pushing or pulling your partner. It's more like a way of communicating, so even if you just took a few lessons, you might find it very helpful. And most people feel like uncoordinated nincompoops at first. But since everyone feels like that, it's not so bad really.

Exactly right. You have to lead or follow in partner dance, and how that's done isn't obvious from just watching other people. My little experience in the ballroom scene is that people there really expect you to have some idea what you're doing instead of faking it.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
skyvue said:
But so many of the dance classes seem to be all about swing dancing, which is great, but I just want to learn the basics, not be a jitterbugging fool. (Edit: That sounds judgmental, and I didn't mean it to. I don't mean "fool" in a negative sense -- just someone who loves to cut a crazy rug.)

No offense taken.

4and1

One of the Regulars
Paisley said:
My little experience in the ballroom scene is that people there really expect you to have some idea what you're doing instead of faking it.

It is true some understanding of basics is expected. But, not to scare anybody off, there is a difference between social ballroom dancing and competitive ballroom dancing. At a social dance a few well executed figures will be enough to have fun and the occasional mis-step will be overlooked.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I'm talking about social ballroom dancing. You don't have to be an expert to participate, but ballroom dancers, IME, expect you to have taken some classes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic