Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy boots that are too wide

Mercer

One of the Regulars
I stumbled across a cool pair of cowboy boots on eBay for a GREAT deal -- a pair of Lucchese Classics full quill ostrich ropers. They were my size too . . . well, almost. Whereas I wear regular width shoes/boots (D), these boots were 2E. With boots, is it possible to compensate at all for extra width, i.e. wearing extra or thicker socks? Or is it just not worth it, no matter how great the price? Thanks.

Mercer

One of the Regulars
Excuse my ignorance, but I'm afraid I've never used insoles of any kind before (unless perhaps they were already in the shoe/boot). If an insole goes in the bottom of the shoe/boot, but the width has to do with the sides, then I don't understand how that can compensate for the excess width. Does it simply reduce space inside? I apologize if these are stupid-sounding questions, but I'm confused.

Exactly. The wide size is usually about like having a half size or so bigger so a pair or two of cheap insoles should take up the slack just fine. You may just have to swap them out or add to the stack occasionally depending on how much you wear them. This trick works o.k. wth shoes too

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Insoles raise your foot inside the boot - when your foot pushes up on the instep, it pulls the sides inward. Width of a boot is more about circumference than it is about what we normally think of a horizontal "width".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80