Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Cowboy Christmas Party" tonight -- help!

PastimeSteve

One of the Regulars
I'm hoping to get some last minute advice from the good folks here at FL. I have to attend my father-in-law's "Cowboy Christmas Party" tonight and I don't own a stitch of western wear and I'm not a big fan of the traditional yolked Western shirts. They just don't look good on me, and cowboy hats tend to look a bit odd on me as well, considering my height-challenged status (5'6").

Any last-minute advice for this procrastinator?

Steve

CdnDandy

Familiar Face
Since it's last minute, you could look into a rental. Not sure what area of the country you're in, but around these parts, most tux rental shops have a "western tux" option - you provide your own blue jeans. It's a look that's always popular with the ladies!

carter

I'll Lock Up
Well, just sorta off topic

:eek:fftopic:
M Tatterscratch said:
Mr. S.,
If you don't own any Westernwear, you could don a pair of tighty-whiteys and go as the Naked Cowboy: lol lol lol
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naked_Cowboy
Do you own a guitar? :D
Heck, I'm 5'6", and I wear a cowboy hat frequently. You just need the right hat - Streamlined fore-and-aft and swept up at the sides. That'll keep you from looking like Marvin the Martian Goes West...
288694959_520257842f.jpg
Like This?
Walk Tall,
T.
:eek:fftopic:
T., Please post photo of western garb. :D

M Tatterscratch

A-List Customer
Steve,

In all seriousness, wouldn't your father-in-law let you slide, or will he turn you out into the snow? Holiday theme-parties frequently seem to add stress to an already stress-laden time of year.

Alternatively, you could wear a sharp vintage suit and tell people you're a tenderfoot from "Back East"...

T.

Didn't you mention this party in the other thread "western anyone"? If you're in Colorado I'm sure you've got the essentials (jeans, boots and a belt). If you don't have a western hat, but have a fedora, steam the brim, flatten it and give it a bit of an upward roll. You can always get the brim back, just reverse the process. If not, go to your local western store and snag an inexpensive wool western hat. The last option is to go to the local Co-op and see if you can get a "gimme hat " for some kind of feed or fertilizer company.

Personally I like the "Boots and Black Tie" look. Tux from the waist up with highly starched Wranglers, big-ass buckle and your best boots below.

Good luck. Let us know how you make out.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
I see how it is....lol

The fellows are right. A button down shirt (non-western is fine) tucked into jeans with a belt, preferably with a big buckle will fit the bill. Adding a string tie, or bandana would be nice, but not necessary. Boots and hats are probably not required, though are admired. Some retired cowboys wear running shoes on a regular basis these days. ;)

Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21