Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Cuffs/Gauntlets

Ugarte

A-List Customer
SamMarlowPI said:
my father and i figure its wrist protection when roping and such. just not positive. any western junkies like me out there with better knowledge might know. thanks

If I am not mistaken, and I frequently am, bracers (from the latin word "brachiale" meaning "belonging to the arm") were originally worn by archers for support and to prevent the bowstring from ripping the hide off the inside of his left forearm.

As they were fashionable and practical as a form of general arm armor and joint support, they became popular in pairs for all sorts of men of action. And it does seem that cowboys found them effective as protection when dealing with rough ropes made fast to an uncooperative beast.

Prove me wrong.

Mark

Cuffs are worn, as you said for protection. They tend to be more ornate now, with hand-tooling, etc. David Stoecklin is a great photographer up in Idaho. He has a photo-book called "Cowboy Gear". It beautifully documents and explains the use of the gear cowboys use now and in the past. He has also produced individual books on hats, boots, spurs and saddles. He has a website:

www.thestoeckleincollection.com

The Captain

One of the Regulars
I found this in a book titled, "I See By Your Outfit", by Tom Lindmier and Steve Mount:

LEATHER CUFFS Cuffs were leather wrist gauntlets presumably used to protect the cowboy from rope burns. A study of historic photographs and written accounts indicates that these items were developed sometime in the late 1880s, but did not become very popular until the 1890s. In fact, since it is unsure what their practical purpose was, cuffs may have been merely a fashion trend. Surviving examples indicate that early varieties laced and buckled on the wrists, while twentieth century cuffs generally had snaps.

Ugarte

A-List Customer
GentlemanFarmer said:
Cuffs are worn, as you said for protection. They tend to be more ornate now, with hand-tooling, etc. David Stoecklin is a great photographer up in Idaho. He has a photo-book called "Cowboy Gear". It beautifully documents and explains the use of the gear cowboys use now and in the past. He has also produced individual books on hats, boots, spurs and saddles. He has a website:

www.thestoeckleincollection.com

You know, where I'm from you routinely see spurs on boots (or more accurately, one boot since you take your right one off to drive) and occasionally see chaps. I'm talking about guys running around town on errands, though my mother taught me it was not polite to wear spurs into a place business.

Nevertheless, I have yet to see anyone wearing bracers.

I'm just saying.

Mark

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
The Captain said:
I found this in a book titled, "I See By Your Outfit", by Tom Lindmier and Steve Mount:

LEATHER CUFFS Cuffs were leather wrist gauntlets presumably used to protect the cowboy from rope burns. A study of historic photographs and written accounts indicates that these items were developed sometime in the late 1880s, but did not become very popular until the 1890s. In fact, since it is unsure what their practical purpose was, cuffs may have been merely a fashion trend. Surviving examples indicate that early varieties laced and buckled on the wrists, while twentieth century cuffs generally had snaps.

sounds about right...what i figured...thanks all :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn