Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Hat Conversion

WildCelt

One of the Regulars
Awhile ago, I found a beat-up cowboy hat to turn into a beater fedora. I finally got around to messing with it, but forgot to take a before picture (sorry). So, I put the strip I trimmed off the brim back and took the pictures then.

cowboyconversion1yd4.jpg
cowboyconversion2zd5.jpg

Here's the hat with the brim trimmed.

cowboyconversion3bj1.jpg

Now, with the brim fixed and the crown shaped with a teardrop bash. I steamed it over the tea kettle.

cowboyconversion5re9.jpg
cowboyconversion6bk5.jpg
cowboyconversion7xt5.jpg

Brushed and with a new band made and sewn on. It's a grosgrain ribbon with a basketweave pattern in it.

cowboyconversion10nv1.jpg
cowboyconversion11dr7.jpg

. . . and me wearing it.

cowboyconversion8xh9.jpg
cowboyconversion9kd5.jpg

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
WildCelt, wasn't that fun? Good job! Several of us have tried our hand at that. Where did you find the ribbon? Is it cotton/rayon or 100% polyester? :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

RBH

Bartender
Very good work WildCelt!!!
Having converted a couple of old western hats myself, I know the satisfaction you feel when you put it on.
This is a hat that would look great with a thin ribbon, with the side vent holes it has a rugged kind of look.
Once again great job and it looks great on you.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Duck

Practically Family
Looks Great!!

Good job!!:eusa_clap It is fun to convert the old cowboy hats. I agree with RBH, with the vents, this hat screams for a thin ribbon. Think Akubra!!

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Nice job, WildCelt.

One of the pleasures you will find with a cowboy conversion is that you can play with it to your heart's content: swap ribbons, re-bash it, change the shape of the brim. You have very little to lose, so you can enjoy experimenting.

In contrast, I have a vintage '40s Stetson Whippet that I will never touch (except for an occasional gentle brushing). It still has the bash its former owner put in it many, many years ago. I consider it a precious antique to be preserved for the next generation of fedora lovers.

So, have fun with your new creation. I agree with RBH and Duck that, because of the vents, you might consider going for a more rugged, outdoor adventure look. Try a narrower ribbon, and a simpler bow. You might even try (dare I say it?) a leather hat band with a buckle. The thrift stores are replete with '50s-style thin, narrow belts that are easily adapted to hat bands.

If you will allow me one more suggestion: If you want an 'adventure' look, try lowering the pinch in the front and pulling the C-crown bash into a longer center-dent shape.

Enjoy!

Stoney

Practically Family
Great Job

I really like the texture of the ribbon that you've chosen. I'll be the dissenter here and say keep the ribbon. It looks very sharp to my eye.
I've done a couple of conversions as well and it is quite an enjoyable adventure.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24