Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Shaping

SteaminPete

Familiar Face
Does anyone have information for shaping a cowboy hat.
I just purchased a previously owned Resistol 2X Felt Hat,
George Strait Design and I would like to shape it a certain way.

billyspew

One Too Many
In my limited (one time) experience, soak it for a long time, shape it and let it dry. I did it with this:

3447690725_b518c9c709_m.jpg

To go to this:

3447693177_7b630c2d74_m.jpg

Good luck.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
My brother uses Steam to work with his. (Annoyingly enough from MY Teapot which messes with it because he lets it boil dry before he refills it) but he's never messed with rebashing it, just the brim.

For major reworking of crown or brim, I use a spray bottle filled with distilled water to thoroughly wet the felt. Shape it & let it dry. If it is just a small adjustment, I will use steam. I have tea pot & an attachment (rubber cork with brass tube) that concentrates the steam. Either way is effective. HTH

Inusuit

A-List Customer
I've used gtddean's method, but only on older hats. Soaked thoroughly with distilled water from a spray bottle, then carefully shaped and let dry. Worked great to put an Oreana crease and reshape the brim on a Number 1 Quality Stetson. I've tried steam for minor adjustments, but perfer distilled water for a major workover. I have a 2X Resistol that I haven't messed with. It's really stiff and looks like it would respond best to the soaking method.

High Pockets

Practically Family
I'd be glad to help you.

I've been wearing 'em for years. Re-shaped a lot of them, and screwed a few up.
I may know very little about dress hats, but I can surely help you with that "cowboy", (gaad, I HATE that term), hat.

Don't mess with the crown,.....trust me, you'll end up with something only PeeWee Herman would wear. If you want to shape the brim, let me know, I've done a ton of em.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy